Lots of luck or is the universe trying to kill me? or both?

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Last two times I have commuted to work on my bike have almost ended badly for me.

First time a lady cut me off and i almost drove straight into the side of her car, went from 55 MPH to 0 faster than i thought i could. Did lock my back wheel up though, aside from a near crash it was kind of fun to have the back wheel slide for 20+ feet. Seeing her jaw drop when she actually saw me(like 15 feet from her car) was surreal. Her face clearly stated she didnt see me. Even with my high beams on.

Then today i was getting on the freeway, I was first in line so I zoomed up the ramp. Car was in a hurry to beat us on the ramp coming from the other direction. They had a yield sign but they didnt even pause. I was leaned over so much all I could do was lean more and give it some more gas. They were less than a foot from my tire, I thought for sure she was going to take my back wheel out and i was going to slide into a wall. Im still amazed they missed me.

Oh and in the cage also in the last week someone ran a red light when I had a green left arrow. Then right after that I hit a skunk.

Im ready for some mellow non eventful driving. That or I need to start walking more.

Just needed to vent to some like minded people. If I tell anyone else the stories they just respond with, "you are crazy to have a motorcycle". Maybe I am, but boy is it fun to drive.

Never assume they see you and drive like everyone out there will hit you. Words to live by, litterally.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought and I don't know how much words influence reality but when I'm out I focus and believe that I am easy to see. I adjust my lane position to maximize viewing angles in my direction from places cars may be coming from. When I come to places where traffic merges as you describe I'm covering the clutch and the brake, and not only till I'm in a clear shot out of the intersection am I back on acceleration.

I rarely have ohh **** moments commuting and ride rather aggressively.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure it's happened to all of us where there's a run of incidents close together.

You made it through the week so I hope you can relax now and ride safe through the next.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure which is worse..

City driving with crazed cagers or country riding with f'n deer.:eek:

ATGATT

I'm going with deer. Less predictable. I've only had one deer encounter, needless to say both of us were scared, luckily we didn't make contact.

Anyone notice deer and squirrels tend to think the same? Both like living on the edge of death (hey, lets commit suicide today). Ya, several dear, never contact but OMG are they unpredictable!!!

Stay focused, think ahead, expect the unexpected! Glad you're OK Baci!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're finding many incidents where it seems you're having close calls the question comes to my mind as to whether you might choose a speed or path that would reduce the threat to your well being. This might break the spell that makes you question if the universe is after you.

I've come back from playing in the mountains and twisty roads where I've been romping and when I come home I've had an attitude in traffic. I had to examine that attitude in me and readjust.
Riding a bike is so different from riding a car and that includes how you use your brain.

Be happy and be safe! :)

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
i do that all the time if i go out for a ride on a weekend before work at five i tend to get quite impatient. commuting home i skip red lights i know wont pick me up so after an unmarked police man told me politly that was naughty :spank: ive decided to cycle to work with it only being a few miles and i can relax more with music than sat with an engine under me!