lost keys .. will usa parts fit?

stuworsley

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all
I have a quite a large problem with my european 2005 fz6n. long story but i now have no keys for the bike and having checked with the dealer they tell me it will cost over a grand as i need a full lock set and an ecu because of ths chipped keys which i am aware of.

I have seen that salvage i can get the parts for a few hundered quid but this also is a bit steep for me at the moment.

i have thought about fitting usa parts as i believe they do not have the built in immobiliser.

Does anyone know if i can fit a usa lock set consisting of the ignition , tank and underseat locks and also fit a standard usa ecu even if it is not off the same bike. Also did they change to the s2 model at the same time as the european one

this option will cost me about £100.

id be very greatfull for any help on the best way to go about this,

thanks in advance.

stu

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Mechanically it's possible, but removing the ignition will take some work (removing the security bolts are a major PITA).

Using another FZ6's ECU (US/EURO) should work as well (get an '06 or earlier model), but you won't have the proper factory FI calibration done (using speedo "C" values). Probably not a big deal though as you can fiddle with these yourself.

Worst case scenario you can always get a PCIII and get the bike fully re-tuned on a dyno.

I can't think of any other issue at the moment, but for the price difference, you don't have much to loose trying it out!

Good luck.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when i bought my bike i was given a plastic tab with a code that matched my immob.do you have this??

Or im sure you could walk into a yamaha dealer and give them the bike details ie serial # engine and frame# or even just the reg plate ..it should be on file they can just sent you a new key

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when i bought my bike i was given a plastic tab with a code that matched my immob.do you have this??

Or im sure you could walk into a yamaha dealer and give them the bike details ie serial # engine and frame# or even just the reg plate ..it should be on file they can just sent you a new key

Still can't re-code the key without the red master key, that is the problem.
Don't think they can replace the master key??

:rockon:

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
If they do anything like my dad's BMW the factory holds all keys on file and you can get a replacement master from Yamaha. Call their support line.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there is a way to 'crack' the immobilizer and get a key made. Supposedly someone has a box that can send an encryption signal and record the code to be programmed to a new key/s. There was a post some months ago and a search on this forum might give you an answer...

Edit: Here's some additional info....http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/18918-new-engine-key.html

Last edited:

stuworsley

Reaction score
Visit site
cheers for the replies.....been onto the dealers previousily who tell me i need the red key...which i dont have.

looks like the usa option may be the way to go. did the usa bikes have a model change in the same year the european ones did. what usa year span would include the same ignition and parts as my 2005 s1 naked?

the ignition is located in the awkward behind the clutch cable position. would the european and usa ecu's have the same plug on them???

thanks again

stu

stuworsley

Reaction score
Visit site
im sorted now on this one.....

just though ud post the conclusion to help others in the future.

I ended up using a company call motomatrix. great service. I sent them my ignition and transponder and they sent me 2 keys to suit. both are chipped. one is the master red one and one is a black one.

i keep my current ECU and lockset....

all for £250 posted.....cheaper than breakers yard lock sets with onlky one key..

bonus is I still have the immobiliser and now have a master key also...

happy days..on the road again

stu

A

alex123

Oh that is sad to know that you have lost the keys. well not to worry i think if you have any number written on the lock. check with the dealer if he can get you a duplicate key done.

Last edited by a moderator: