Lorenzo Doesn't Want To Go To Japan

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"I don't want to go to Japan. I don't feel safe to go there. I do not want to wait 20 years wondering if something will happen to me or my children... " Jorge Lorenzo

Due to the radiation leakage situation, the MotoGP authority will make a decision on whether the Japanese MotoGP race will go ahead in October.

Fears about radiation caused by the extensive damage suffered to the Fukushima nuclear plant has spread a culture of fear in parts of the MotoGP paddock, particularly with several high profile riders.

The world champion Jorge Lorenzo is the one most gripped by paranoia, the Spaniard ramming home his reluctance to race in Japan throughout the course of his home round near Barcelona last weekend.

Such is Lorenzo's anxiety about that he cast aside his bitter rivalry with former factory Yamaha team-mate Valentino Rossi to stage an impromptu meeting in his motorhome on Friday night.

Lorenzo said: "I don't want to go to Japan. I don't feel safe to go there. I do not want to wait 20 years wondering if something will happen to me or my children. You will not convince me. I guess 99 per cent of the riders are not so excited to go there. I went to speak to Valentino because he has strong power in the paddock and if some of the strong riders decide not to go then I think the race will be difficult for the organisation to make it. But I don’t know if some riders are completely decided to not go."

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can see his point...and whilst his fears may be paranoia, at least it gives the bosses good cause to make sure their decision is not just made on economic reasons....

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good on him for coming out & saying it :thumbup: I wouldnt be real keen on going there either & im not entirely convinced they will go... The Japanese manufacturers need the round though.. Desperately...

Get the South African govt. to put their hand up for the round Andrew :D Kyalami is an AWESOME circuit :thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Such is Lorenzo's anxiety about that he cast aside his bitter rivalry with former factory Yamaha team-mate Valentino Rossi to stage an impromptu meeting in his motorhome on Friday night.

"bitter rivalry"? really? yes it's a rivalry...but don't you think the press is hyping it all up?

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Pure hysteria .... just like Three Mile Island was. Unless you are within a mile of the plant there is almost nil chance of any problems. But the media has made up a problem for their own ends. Lorenzo is 1000% more likely to be killed being flung off his bike than going to Japan and being irradiated. In fact he will get more radiation flying in the airplane to get to the race. Motegi Twin Ring Circuit is about 75 mi from the damaged plant and is well outside the exclusion zone for evacuation or special monitoring. Life isn't 100% safe, it can never be guaranteed. To try to pretend that we must be 100% certain of no issues before we go there is ridiculous. Send me a ticket and I'll be glad to go there and enjoy the race, if they will show up.

Last edited:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I can understand his worry, but a little radiation won't kill anyone.... quickly that is.

Now lets all go race around the outside of chernobyl!!!

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site
I was supposed to go for work but cancelled the trip.

They're saying it's safe outside the exclusion zones, but no way would I risk it.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the South African govt. to put their hand up for the round Andrew :D Kyalami is an AWESOME circuit :thumbup:

It is, but there has been so much bad publicity here over the staging of the 2 SBK rounds I don't think we will ever see world championship bike racing again :(

Incidentally, the last time I attended racing at Kyalami, Freddie Spencer won the 250 and 500cc races :spank:

I feel really sorry for the Japanese organisers, last year there was postponement because of the Icelandic volcano which was half a world away, this year the reason is right on their doorstep.

Last edited:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If they are concerned about Motegi, but they are hell bent on keeping the Japanese Gp on this years calendar, how hard is it to move the race to Suzuka.

Have no idea if its in/near the radiation affected area, but if its not just shift the race Dorna/IRTA/FIM/Honda.

Suzuka is a way better track anyway.