Loose rear sprocket flies off and

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
A motorist was inches away from injury when a loose rear sprocket from a motorcycle flew through the driver's windscreen.

The flying sprocket narrowly missed the driver before embedding itself into the car's roof.

Pictures of the incident taken by a Californian Fire Department were uploaded to Instagram with the caption: 'A driver on hwy 101 had their window impaled by a motorcycle sprocket. It embedded itself in the roof, narrowly missing the driver.
:eek::eek:

0508-2015-RWCFire.jpg

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Must be from a Kawasaki...

A Ninja thew it's deadly throwing star...

... Come on... that was a little funny right?

I got it when you said Kawasaki..!:thumbup:

Anyway Jokes apart, Does it belong to a Harley? that huge size:confused:me.., if the sprocket is off the wheel, that means, the biker...:eek: is he okay:confused:? Hope there is no pillion when this happened.

Last edited:

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it when you said Kawasaki..!:thumbup:

Anyway Jokes apart, Does it belong to a Harley? that huge size:confused:me.., if the sprocket is off the wheel, that means, the biker...:eek: is he okay:confused:? Hope there is no pillion when this happened.

I guess a single sided swingarm...VFR perhaps? But yeah hope no serious injuries.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess a single sided swingarm...VFR perhaps? But yeah hope no serious injuries.

I thought a single sided at first(but the size made me think twice), anyway the tire would come off(based on the impact, the bike is not going slow, Interstate 101), the rider may want to do a wheelie in order to stop the vehicle safely:cheer:, but the gravity would've pulled him down already by the time he realised:(.

Luckily, the car driver/passenger would've witnessed Final destination style killing, but thank god.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was thinking SSSA also, should the nut take off, it allows the sprocket carrier, center shaft, wheel and rotor to leave. However, the brake caliper would likely keep the wheel from going south!
MV - Augusta loose the keeper and nut, bye bye hub & sprocket! I have pictures of that assembly apart if anyone wants to see.

Regardless, Driver was very lucky it missed them! Number was not up!

OR - if bounced off a moving vehicle (bed of truck etc), round parts can easily be accelerated to very high speeds when struck by other vehicles.
- I was 16 at the time and watched it happen as a small flywheel came out of Chev Dually Crew Cab (hauling scrap) down the interstate and went under another truck and came out at twice the speed. Then went right through the grill & radiator of Ford wagon next to us one lane over!.... It was as if the radiator exploded water and steam everywhere. Scrap hauler never stopped.

owen101

Reaction score
Visit site
Cmon people, unless it was something thrown from a bridge or some kind of gravity defying, silver bullet style rear sproc this is complete BS. The angles and trajectory are all wrong in the picture..