Looking to buy a new (or slighty used) car for under 30k... IDEAS????

Well, I made my choice...

I'm picking up a 2005 Pontiac GTO tonight. 6-Speed manual, 400hp 400tq, 40k miles, $17,498 out the door from a dealer.

GREAT CHOICE! I heavily research it in 05, I was obsessed. They have great forums and aftermarket options are insane. Pedders street 2 suspension kit, cam, heads, headers, catback, and tune- you'll have a reliable super car.

Just the cam and tune will net you over 100hp gain to the rear wheels.

Buy some drag radials.

Drag bags are only $100, get those too.

Good luck, I'm jealous.

im quite the car and driver enthusiast myself along with bike and rider. i belong to several different forums actually so i try to keep the participation level throughout them as level as i can tho it's a little tough and this one is my most recent joining. lol. but anyway, there are a lot of factors to consider when looking for a vehicle especially a used one as we all know. but overall, what are you looking to get? 4 door? awd? fwd? etc. are the winters harsh there? has anyone recommended a subaru impreza WRX STI to you yet? it is rated among one of the highest reliability vehicles out there (if it is taken care of and maintained properly). i think it's even top 5 with consumer reports. anyway, you cant go wrong with awd and a subaru. if it's not worth all of it's value, it's worth a lot more than what you actually pay for it. trust me. of course if your into modifying it, there is an endless list of opportunities to do so in many different ways.

best and only way to know which is the right car is by going with what you think is best based on ur need and desires. it's your investment.

other than getting car specs and sitting/driving in a few different ones, check the forums! you can read and ask before you consider buying and i guarantee you will have an answer from the right people.

Last edited:

I'm picking up a 2005 Pontiac GTO tonight. 6-Speed manual, 400hp 400tq, 40k miles, $17,498 out the door from a dealer.

Cool. Make sure you post a pic when you get it.

Great car too, (another Aussie made one as well), and you guys got all the good stuff, better motor, hood scoops and a better looking front end too.

They were called a "Monaro" here, I had a 2003 model for a while, great car, but not a good family car..lol

:)

Congrats on the purchase - I thought about them a few years back but with the current need to fit a car seat it didn't make sense to get a coupe. Now I think you should strip the spoiler and hood scoops and buy some Holden badges for a real sleeper.

Like this one???
(oops, sorry about the pic size..lol)

monarods8.jpg

I also love the new G8! I think it is one of the best buys for the money and not many people know about them.

I would also consider a 1-2 year old CTS or STS. You can pick up a used STS with under 30k miles for around $23k. Not bad for a car that stickered new for $50K. I know that they are kind of an old persons cars, but they still look and handle pretty sweet! If considering foreign I would go with a used 2006 or newer 3 Series BMW coupe.

Just got home from the dealership... dudes, this GTO flys! It's awesome. I think I'm getting the MOD BUG!

Well - aside from the yellow which is not my thing that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Yeah, I wasn't that keen on the Yellow either, but you don't get a choice when you win it in a competition...lol

Well, that's not quite true either, I did win it (a promotion thing at work), I could have got a different colour, but I would have had to wait 14 weeks to get my car. That was the one they had on display during the promotion.

Congrats on the "new" car wick001, hope it treats you well.

Very nice! Are you getting a lot of wheel hop? Make sure to get the poly bushings! Get the rip shifter too, it's like a bolt action rifle feel, way way better than stock.

Back