Looking to buy 2006 FZ6

kevlarian

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market to buy an FZ6 and believe I have found a great deal on a used 2006 FZ6. I haven't purchsed it quite yet, and I need to do some research, but I thought I would ask...

Should I consider a low milage 2006. I know that 2007 had a major overhaul (not just a different color frame). If I do take it for a test ride what should I look out for?

Just curious...

Thanks!

Z

Zealadin

I'm not hugely knowledgeable in this area but will try and help:

Look for rust on the chain, or if its really loose. (neglect)
Look for general signs of it being dropped such as bent or scratched bar ends, mirrors, engine, fairings etc. (dropped)
If the owner turns it on and immediately revs it really hard, you probably want to walk away.
Check how worn the tyres are, and ask about the service manual, even if the person did the work themselves, they should have filled it in if they cared.
Ask about previous accidents, and get your local authorities to do a check on the vehicle, which will show if its been stolen or written off. (normally you can use a website to do this, not sure about the US)
Take it for a spin, and make sure all the brakes have feel in them, and that the pads are gripping, if not they might need replacing which isn't a huge sum, but adds up fast, if you need to do them all!
Make sure it tracks properly, ie no wobbles, or the steering pulling, and make sure that it moves through the gears properly, and that it runs without any obviously bad noises.
If it has an aftermarket exhaust ask if it was retuned for it, if so where, and see if you can get the stock parts. Check if there are any illegal mods.
I would check the tank and make sure you can't see any rust forming on the inside, not sure if FZ6's can have this issue or if they are properly coated as stock, but its expensive to get fixed and damages the engine.
Ask if it has been stored covered or not.
Check all the electrics are working and no warning lights are showing. Check blinkers, brake and riding lights.

If you have ANY concerns about any of these ask about getting a professional to look at it, they can pick up small things very easily, and will be able to stear you away from a bad buy.

Alot of these things may be dubious but not bad, ie the brake pads, tyres, services, and will cost money to be done properly, even if you do it yourself. If they need replacing you need to pick up on it and expect that not to be included in the price.

If your not sure, again get a professional, particularly if its a good friend who you can trust or a dealership/mechanic that you often use, so they have something to lose if they screw you over.

Hope this helps a bit