Looking for info on FZ6's

mrkeeeler

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i am in the market for a new bike and from what i can tell the fz6 would be a perfect fit.

My question to you guys is what is the difference between all the years. Wikipedia had some info but not much. Most of the CL ads im looking at have crap pictures so i cant tell if there is a Cosmetic difference between all the years.

It seems the 04-08 are all basically the same and the 09 is only slightly different is this the case?

From quick looking i found a local 06 with 47k KM (im in canada) then a few 07, 08 and 09's within 6 hours of driving down into the USA.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i am in the market for a new bike and from what i can tell the fz6 would be a perfect fit.

My question to you guys is what is the difference between all the years. Wikipedia had some info but not much. Most of the CL ads im looking at have crap pictures so i cant tell if there is a Cosmetic difference between all the years.

It seems the 04-08 are all basically the same and the 09 is only slightly different is this the case?

From quick looking i found a local 06 with 47k KM (im in canada) then a few 07, 08 and 09's within 6 hours of driving down into the USA.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

gen 1 is 04-06
gen 2 is 07-09

i didn't do all my research before i bought but what i can tell is 07+ has less major issues and a few modifications then 04-06 but it comes to price mileage and location, im sure a few more people will chime in on what they know. ( in general the newer you buy the more factory issues have been fixed )

mrkeeeler

Reaction score
Visit site
so an 07 should be the same as a 09? Its so hard to tell with online pics as they are never the same camera angle or anything.

Also how different are the 12 fz6r's?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know much about the r I looked at them because I mostly commute but detuned version of the Z6 which is detuned r6 minus suspension 07-09
Same thing I used Wikipedia it had all the upgrades per model year, the p4-06 has different frame and rear swing arm I think the engine is also silver but o7 -09 has the black engine and different frame like I said I read Wikipedia answered alot of my questions but it comes down to location mileage and price

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Did a load of research before getting my 2005 FZ6 Fazer, an early model is not a bad choice providing 2 main items have been addressed, the first is the TPS throttle position sensor, the second being the front sprocket nut / washer. Providing these have been done and the bike has a good service history then you should be fine.

Other slight issues are with the grabby clutch / snatchy throttle but both of these you get used to quite quickly, i'm on 550 miles now since getting mine and my clutch and throttle control has come on heaps. I am hoping that this will make me a better rider when i decide to move on from the FZ6 (not for some time though).

Lovely bike to ride, no issues with low range torque, clunky but bullet proof gearbox, excellent engine and good resale values.

Whats not to like :)

Steve.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
If interstate travel is important to you, the +07 models have a lot of after market windscreens available. The stock screen also comes with a vent to help with buffeting that the pre '07 models do not.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6r is a completely different bike made more for beginner riders.

All years fz6 are great bikes, the first gen 04-06 has a little more touchy throttle but other then that they are mechanically pretty much the same.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the above mentioned, the 2007 and up has improved front brakes (4 pistons per disc vs 2 pistons per disc pre 07, 2 disc's on the front wheel) thus better front braking(slightly different forks to accept the newer brakes), a different speedometer assembly, a slightly different rear swingarm, and some slightly different body work (main fairing, etc). The rear sub-frame has removeable pillion peg mounts as well..

Nothing super major, just the front brakes....

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased an '05 after Christmas last year, and since then have done 14500kms.

You get used to the slightly grabby throttle, but the throttle can be alleviated by having the correct idle speed, as this evens out the transition.

With regards to the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), if an '04 or '05 you're looking at is within a certain VIN range, Yamaha will swap it out free.

With the grabby clutch, the FZ6 has a '03 R6 motor, albeit tuned for more torque, and as such, has a racing gearbox. You can get the KillerNoodle mod (a longer clutch slave lever and guide) to eliminate this. (I have one and strongly recommend it)

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason not to get an '04 or '05 (S1) unless you prefer the black motor frame.

With minor tweaks, they are essentially the same as the S2.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so an 07 should be the same as a 09? Its so hard to tell with online pics as they are never the same camera angle or anything.

Also how different are the 12 fz6r's?

Looking at the Yamaha website, the 2012's are quite a bit different, more fairing, steel frame, no under the seat exhaust, single headlight, etc.

2012 Yamaha FZ6R Home, information

mrkeeeler

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya the 2012 is out. Just had seen a few on CL and they looked nice with the full fairings. I think i have decided on a 2nd gen as i like the black frame more. Few possibles on CL close to me so ill check em out in the next week or so.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI, 2006 models also have the black frame. (That's what I've got.)

The silver frame looks good on a silver bike, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Dave

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking closer at the Yamaha site and a Yamaha parts fisch for the 2012, there's no helmet lock, the front brakes are back to the gen I TWO PISTON pots on each front disc and they made some major changes to the engine... The clutch release mechanism is now on the LEFT SIDE(by the starter), the engine shifter assembly, appears to have been moved too.
I guess the oil filter is hidden under the fairing as it isn't visable..

At least the frame isn't sticking out, you get to replace plastic should you encounter a tip over...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking closer at the Yamaha site and a Yamaha parts fisch for the 2012, there's no helmet lock, the front brakes are back to the gen I TWO PISTON pots on each front disc and they made some major changes to the engine... The clutch release mechanism is now on the LEFT SIDE(by the starter), the engine shifter assembly, appears to have been moved too.
I guess the oil filter is hidden under the fairing as it isn't visable..

Yeah it's basically made to be a cheep beginner bike. The engine is the same as ours but make much more linear power and not nearly as much top end power. It's basically made to appeal to the masses with looks and price vs the original fz6.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it's basically made to be a cheep beginner bike. The engine is the same as ours but make much more linear power and not nearly as much top end power. It's basically made to appeal to the masses with looks and price vs the original fz6.

Just from the outside, visable, they've changed the outside of the engine too. The Gen I and Gen II engines were pretty much the same, besides the much lower redline, the new engine has some major PHYSICAL differences. Look just above the starter on the left side, the actual clutch release arm is now over there....