Looking at getting a fz6

Dmurph16

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
First post here, I’m looking st getting a FZ6, currently I have a 2017 Suzuki drz400sm which was my first bike. I plan on keeping it and picking up a fz shortly. A buddy has a 06 thst I rode and fell in love with. Will I regret picking up a cheap 04-05 vs spending a bit more and getting a 06-09? Thanks!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey from a fellow DRZ /FZ rider. There is no riding difference between an S1 and S2. What is most important is the overall condition of the bike. If you are drawn to a black or silver frame, that would be the primary difference.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally would pick the S2 for the better front cowling setup and better windshield options, but the S1 is still a great bike. If it's in good condition and the price is right, go for it.

Dmurph16

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey from a fellow DRZ /FZ rider. There is no riding difference between an S1 and S2. What is most important is the overall condition of the bike. If you are drawn to a black or silver frame, that would be the primary difference.

I was debating getting rid of the drz. But I just can’t do it, and decided to just add a more practical longer ride bike. Iunderstand the condition is important. I’ve found a few higher mile 04s around 30k miles for 2K. While I’ve found some 09s ranging from 8-15k miles for 3500-3800. I’m just trying to decide which route to go and can’t decide

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, new guy! 04-06 is the "Gen 1", 07-09 is the "Gen 2". The 07-09's got a new front fairing, a new speedometer, better front brakes, and a less twitchy throttle. I was looking for a Gen 2 when I was in the market.

....... which leads me to saying, my loaded blue 2007 is for sale in CT, it's listed in the classifieds here. Just put another 75 miles on it earlier today and it ran flawlessly, it's a great bike. I'm willing to let it go for a killer deal if you're not interested in some of the mods. Also can help with delivery
http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/56151-feeler-fs-2007-fz6-ct.html

I've also got a DR350 (the predecessor to the DRZ), it makes a great complimentary bike.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the 30k mile bike is exceptionally clean and well maintained, it might be a good buy for $2,000. 30k is low mileage for a 14 year old bike. If it looks like the same condition as the S2's I'd give it a good look. The $1,500 saved buys tires, brakes and anything else it may need and still keeps money in your pocket.

The S2 gauge package is more modern looking, but not "better". I found the fairing on my S1 to be horrible, so mush so that I converted it to a naked bike. I understand that the S2 is better in this regard, but still not good. Since you have test ridden an FZ you can make your own evaluation.

Matt's bike is a good buy given its upgrades, many of which you may do anyway. If you're looking for a mileage eater, give this one a good look.

Last edited: