Looking at 06 Fz6

BanOne

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to look at a 2006 fz6 today with 8700 miles. Seemed to be in good condition except for some cosmetic damage from being dropped. The only things that concerned me were squeaky brakes could not really see if they needed to be changed, and what looked like an oil leak around the oil filter. The tricky part is that the sprocket cover is right about and the gunk could be coming from chain lube, but hard to tell just looking from the ground. Wold either if these things scare you guys. Wake me a bit nervous, just got out from under a molested bike that came with more headaches than I wanted

Thanks
Doug

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Would not scare me but would want to do some looking and listening. Look at the tires, oil, brake fluid, coolant resivoir, etc You want to look to see if the fluids look like they have been changed and/or kept up with. My 2004 has 32,000 miles and a few scratches but that's because I ride it and keep it upright except for the time I dropped it. :-(Depending on chain lube it will accumulate above the oil filter. Oil filter should not leak but could have been a lack of cleaning after changing the oil. Brakes should not be worn out, have original pads on my bike. If you can take a couple of photos and post up for others to comment on.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Squeaky brakes wouldnt really be a major concern for me. Its easy to tell how much meat is left on the pads, so if you have time, go back and take another closer look. If they are getting low, just mention it to the seller and see if you can get him to shave a little off the price since you will need to replace them. The good news is, new brake pads is are not expensive.

I would be willing to bet what you saw around/on the oil filter is just fling from the chain. Oil filters dont typically leak unless they were installed incorrectly or they were damaged.

As the other poster mentioned above, I would make sure to check the tires as well as the fluid quality. If the seller has some service records that would also be a help. See how much tread is left on the current tires and pull the dipstick to check the oil level and color.

BanOne

Reaction score
Visit site
Have not bought yet still thinking. Wanted to test ride a 650r before I did, but did that today and did not like it. I believe that the accumulation is from the chain lube but just made me a bit nervous to look up in there and see sludge - none of mt stuff has sludge on it. Just wish I could pull that sprocket cover off and poke around a bit. Got him down to $3400. i do not think brakes are worn out, sound is not like hitting the indicator is like a bunch of dust build up and I have had a pain in the past trying to get rid of that sound on cars I have owned in the past.

Doug

BanOne

Reaction score
Visit site
What gas do you guys run. Was planning on just normal 87 but seller is saying the only thing he runs is 93+ because you can't run anything else. Not sure i believe that. Compression is 12:1 but having run only cruises not sure if I am getting good info?

THnaks
Doug

DISREGARD QUESTION SHOULD HAVE DONE A SEARCH FIRST

Last edited: