Long Way Down

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
What a great film! I drug my wife to see this and my brother in law coerced his finance into coming along and they enjoyed it quite a bit too. Any favorite parts? I liked watching Charley stunt his GS while it was fully loaded, and quite enjoyed Ewan's quick witted remarks.

anyone here have the chance to go see it?

Fantastic flick and watch for "long way down" on Fox reality channel.

"I've just smashed my nuts on the seat. OWWWWWWWW!" -Ewan McGregor

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you seen Long Way Round as well?
Charlie Boorman has also done one on his own Race To Dakar which is good as well.

I have the DVDs, books and even the t-shirt but still think doing the trips with a film back up crew, 4x4s, fixers, endless amounts of money, hotels and luxury lodges most nights, is not real motorbike travelling.

Give them their due though, they sat on the bikes and did the miles.

There are people out there as I type this doing these trips off their own backs. You can read their stories on horizonsunlimited.com a great travelling bikers site.

Steve

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I watched "Long Way Round" on tv here a few months ago.

My lovely wife gave me the "Long Way Down" DVD for my birthday, haven't watched it yet... Must get it out and have a looksie.
Agree with Steve, they don't really do it tough, but all those miles are genuine.

Cheers.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great shout,

It has been serialised in the UK, I love it. One of the interesting parts for me was when Ewan's wife arrived in Africa. The group dynamic changed for a while as Charlie missed his wife and dare I say it was peed off because he felt he was not consulted.

Nelly

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want their gig! Yes they do it in style, but if most of us had as much money & support, cause your name is Ewan Mc Gregor, i reckon most of us would do it in style too!

Been watching it on FOX, would love to go see all those wonderful places. Lucky Lucky Boys, are Charlie & Ewan.

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Read the books if you get a chance - they go into way more details about both trips, and are a bit less whiney.

Eg in the second film, I got sick of them bitching about having to rush in case they miss some ferry in 3 weeks' time - who gives a s**t! Just go with the flow and enjoy it.

Anyway, good luck to them for doing it in style.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this the first or the second "Long Way Down"? Buddy of mine claims he has the second filming. I like the bikes and the gears, would be interesting if they've gotten the KTM instead of the beemer. I heard after the film was released BMW's sales skyrocketed.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I own the Long Way Round but have yet to see this one. It's something I watch only during Man-Cave time when she's busy with other activities. :D

Balberts

FZ6-Toga
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah! We saw the "condensed" 2 Hr theatrical release last night. I enjoyed the swarms of monkeys... and the Head of Police taking Ewan's bike for a joy-ride.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
What did you drug her with? Ether?

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good article in the AMA's magazine about the trip this month. I saw Long Way Round last winter, will pick up Long Way Down this coming winter.
Right now, it's riding weather!