Load motorcycle into the Astro van project

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Loading a motorcycle into the Astro Van project.

In last couple of weeks, I had to spend time for some efficient way to loading a motorcyle on the car.
First of all, I had to find a vehicle.
Sedan, Pickup Truck, Van, and else...
After weeks of research, I decieded Astro Van.
The reasons for me.
1. Astro cargo space is good enough for the most mid-sized bikes
2. Motorcycle is well hidden by others after loaded
3. Many other stuffs are also loaded into the van, and it has advantage of weather proof.
4. MPG is pretty good ^^;
5. And used one price is very nice for me as poor man... ha ha ha

So, after I got a little reliable used Astro Van (passenger type), I removed all the rear seats.
Tried loading and unloading, successful.
However, loading the bike myself was little hard.
Unloading is easier.

I started a reserch again for a week.
Some useful information from internet has been found during the research.
Started my implementation.
Using 12V electronic winch is pretty simple and cost effective for the Astro Van and for me.

Bought some items.
1. 12V electronic winch with *** Remote Controller *** very nice..
2. Wheel chock for the secure transfort.
3. Portable Jump Power Battery for the winch
4. Couple of more ratchet straps
5. Winch mounting supplier, and build one for my new winch and wheel chock (customize)

Yes, today afternoon, finally finished the project.
Here is the some photos about it to share with you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQbc4yrI46E]YouTube - Load Motorcycle To Astro Van[/ame]

Now, I need to start Fix Astro Van project for a week... ha ha ha
There are some problems for my new/used Astro Van.

Thanks

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice set up mate.

What about loading a dirt bike into a van? :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jsYMrCdb8]YouTube - How NOT to load a motorcycle in a van[/ame]

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
WOO! :rockon::rockon:

Thanks for the comments...
Here is the Part 2, loading and unloading using winch.
I made some comments on the video clip.
Good and Bad parts of the using winch !!! ^^;
I may need some wider and longer ramps for easier and safer loading the bike...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fDlsZeoyU]YouTube - Load Motorcycle To Astro Van, Part 2[/ame]

Thanks...

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, that's definitely an interesting concept and certainly deserves a round of "kudos" for your enginuity. :thumbup:

Might I suggest, if you're going to walk along the left side of the bike to load/unload, have the bike stowed a little to the passenger side to give you that extra leg room.

Finally, that seemed to take a little time and effort. Unloading is obviously not a big deal. Did you try loading the bike with the bike engine idling and while feathering the clutch walk up the ramp with the bike? Some track friends of mine do that all the time when loading their bikes in the back of their trucks.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, that's definitely an interesting concept and certainly deserves a round of "kudos" for your enginuity. :thumbup:

Might I suggest, if you're going to walk along the left side of the bike to load/unload, have the bike stowed a little to the passenger side to give you that extra leg room.

Finally, that seemed to take a little time and effort. Unloading is obviously not a big deal. Did you try loading the bike with the bike engine idling and while feathering the clutch walk up the ramp with the bike? Some track friends of mine do that all the time when loading their bikes in the back of their trucks.

Thanks for the advices.
I will try it little bit passenger side next time..

Yes, I tired to walk up the bike which is running, but failed and felt some danger if there were no others around when I felt down... and bike is above me !!! ha ha ha
Slippy.. my ramps might not good for this bike tires ??
So, I'm thinking that get a Wider and Longer ramps, and try it with it.
I could do without this elect. winch actually, but need somer efforts and good ground clearances.
As, I do mostly ride SOLO alot, I don't want to get some chances of failure when loading the bike.
Many excusssesss... ^^;

Thanks again.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 on the above. I load my bike with the engine running, myself on the right side. I hold the throttle open slightly, use the clutch and put slight drag on the front brake to keep it from rolling back or forward too quickly.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is some update for the winch and wheel chock setup photos.
I really appreciate auto shop mechanic who made idea and built this setup for me.
He even spent his own money for welding, and paid back for him because that's too much ^^;

First of all I added couple of more ramps for much better safety when loading and unloading.
There was alot differences when I tried; felt really safe feeling during the loadin/unloading.
And here are some updates.

* Bought a wire-roller and welded on the top/behind of the wheel chocke.
* Wheel chocke is now little bit passenger side so that I could have more room when handling the bike.
* Wheel chocke is permanently screwed down on the van cargo floor.
* Elec. winch is placed behind wheel chocke, and screwed down well.

With this updated setup, I don't have to install/uninstall any items/materials during the loading/unloading.
All I need to do is hook-up jump battery to the winch, and start loading.
I'm very happy with this new updated setup.

Here are some photos of new setup.

1. I added more ramps for better safety on loading and unloading.

IMG_2635.JPG

2. Wire roller photos

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

3. After bike is loaded...

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

Now, I need some vacume and wash my new van for the coming adventures.... ^^
Thanks