List Your Street Riding Strategy

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Im invisible.

Never assume that you have been seen & you wont be disappointed when someone is picking you up off the road saying "sorry I didnt see you there".

You could have your lights on high beam & be wearing a fluro jacket, a car driver will still change lanes without looking & use it as their defence.

Dead on Man :thumbup:! Happened to me today on the way home from work.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/15635-never-ceases-amaze-me.html

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Id also like to add, on a basic 2 lane road with many entry points and intersections for oncoming traffic to go left across you, hold a steady speed.

People turning left across you are famous around here for thinking they can go, and get halfway into the intersection before they realize you were accelerating down that road and are now going faster. So they stop. across all 2-3 lanes.

And if you were speeding and begin to slow down so they dont go, they think you are "letting them go" and you know the rest.

steady speeds are more predictable.

also, ditch the black helmet

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
I always try to keep a long stopping distance from the car in front of me in traffic. I always keep my foot on the rear brake pedal ready in dense traffic so I can flash the brake light when I may need to stop.

There's a lot of people on cell phones in SUVs here.

Cell phones = delayed reaction time
SUVs = Require act of congress to stop
Result = Rear ended if you brake too quickly

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im invisible.

Never assume that you have been seen & you wont be disappointed when someone is picking you up off the road saying "sorry I didnt see you there".

You could have your lights on high beam & be wearing a fluro jacket, a car driver will still change lanes without looking & use it as their defence.

+1

AND I ride thinking that everyone who can see me doesn't like me and wants to hit me.

There have been a lot of good strategy ideas mentioned in this thread that I'm also constantly doing, so some of mine are repeats:
-- Scan constantly for "outs" or avenues for escape. This, in my little brain, has to do with mitigating target fixation. If I've already found a way out or around an idiot/event, then I'm more likely to just go there.

-- Fingers on the front brake always. Saved me once already and that's enough.

-- I tend to ride in the left part of the lane, never in the center. There's always a chance that there could be crap -- liquid or hard bits -- sitting in the middle of the lane that a car could simply drive right over.

-- Don't tailgate. And if I get a car up my backside and there's no place for me to go (to get out of their way), I let them know to back the f off. And I don't flip them off, instead I just wag my index finger. It's weird, because it's worked every time so far...

-- Always filter to the front of the traffic on city streets. Not because I'm special, but because it is allowed and it helps me to get ahead of a whole bunch of cars -- that I now don't have to worry about hitting me.

-- Ride predictably and don't sit in blind spots.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great posts everyone! Keep them coming, there's plenty more to add!

HERE'S WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED SO FAR.............

1. Avoid using the right lane as a travel lane on multi-lane surface roads and freeways (U.S.A, Canada)
2. You are entitled to use your entire lane, so utilize it as neccessary.
3. Maintain a margin of safety by increasing following distance
4. During stops, position yourself so that you are not centered directly behind another vehicle. Allow yourself an escape route for you or possibly the vehicle behind you if they cannot stop in time.
5. Keep the bike in gear during stops until a buffer zone has been created with other vehicles stopped behind you.
6. Stay to the right when entering & exiting roundabouts.
7. Always look for escape routes.
8. Always be on the look out for Red Light Runners.
9. If permissable/legal, filter or lane split to the front of traffic during traffic stops (check your local laws).
10. Always ride with the mindset that your are Invisible to everyone!
11. Never tailgate and keep your time in the "No Zone" (blind spots) to a minimum.
12. Maintain an extra margin of safety with drivers who maybe distracted. Cell phones, passangers, children, etc.
13. Look for eye contact
14. Use the tire as an indication of movement and not the entire vehicle as a whole.
15. Always maintain a mindset that it is very difficult for drivers to judge the speed of an oncoming motorcyclist due to it's size. So they might pull out in front of you!
16. Try to maintain within the speed limit on surface streets, Why? # 15.
17. Maintain a greater margin of safety/following distance in wet conditions.
18. Avoid wearing black helmets.
19. Flash brake lights in dense traffic as an indication of a stop is approaching.
20. Cover your brakes if you identify hazardous situations that may require emergency breaking.
21. Be aware that debris/gravel, grease and other liquids may accumulate in the center portion of the lane.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
There is some great stuff here but I think we are missing "preventive maintenance" to make yourself more visible and gearing up properly. Your riding strategy shouldn't start when the engine turns over and end when it quits. Obviously you cannot rely on a hi-vis vest or some extra lights or even your safety gear but anything that minimizes the risks should be incorporated into your strategy.

Also the most dangerous areas are ones where we pay the least attention or are at reduced speeds... the roads we have traveled 100 times and parking lots.

Crystal

Reaction score
Visit site
Totally agree with this and adding to this. Most cagers have no concept of rate of acceleration of a motorcycle hence they'll think they have time to pull out and if we don't take this into our defensive skills we may suffer the consequences.

This is why the highest percentage of motorcycle involved accidents happen in intersections. People making lefts in front of you thinking they have enough time.....:shakehead:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't do 130 mph in the 60 zone...dead rider from last Thursday would tell you that from his grave.

Look around at the other prople on the road. Make a game of predicting their next move. Do anything to make yourself more visible. Make eye contact with anyone you can.

Stay out of blind spots. If someone is next to you, ride on the opposite side of your lane so you have time to react to sudden moves. Saved me twice in the past.

Signal AND shoulder check. Use hand signals too if the traffic is heavy.

Keep up but don't pass everyone on the road. Weaving in and out is stupid and makes all of us look bad.

Never force yourself to keep going if your vision is restricted. Fogged up visors or blurry contact lenses need to be fixed pronto. And don't get stuck wearing a smoked or mirrored visor in the dark!

Last but not least...DON'T GET DISTRACTED BY BIKINI BARBIE IN THE CONVERTABLE!!! After all, she's gonna be trying hard to keep her eyes off of you and your sexy FZ6. Ladies...you never check out the guys anyways lol.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
I always try to keep a long stopping distance from the car in front of me in traffic. I always keep my foot on the rear brake pedal ready in dense traffic so I can flash the brake light when I may need to stop.

There's a lot of people on cell phones in SUVs here.

Cell phones = delayed reaction time
SUVs = Require act of congress to stop
Result = Rear ended if you brake too quickly

See I'm gonna respectfully disagree here because if a distracted driver sees you in front coming up on stopped traffic at an intersection, while they are changing stations on their radio or talking on their cell phone looking at their passenger or that hot chick on the sidewalk, they are subconsiously (sp?) keeping track of how long they have until they need to get on the brakes. If you stop way short of the car in front of you, they are more likely to rear end you because they foolishly assume they have more stopping room than they really do. I mean sure, you won't be smashed into the car in front of you this way, but I find it preferable to never be hit in the first place. This is why when I come into a stop I stop on the far left or right side of my lane, and flash my brakes as I slow down even if I could gear down and stop without using them. By stopping on one side of the lane it means if someone is gonna rear end me it will likely be a glancing blow, or they could swerve slightly at the last minute and miss me, whereas being centered in the lane means your creamed for sure.

crowdaoc

Reaction score
Visit site
So a couple things I didn't see, and maybe they are entirely intuitive who knows...

1) Just because you think you've made eye contact with someone. Don't assume they have seen you. I had someone the other day drive me off the road in just this instance (luckily I was driving my car vice my bike at the time, not too skilled yet to handle those situations).

2) Ride in the daytime with your highbeams on all the time. This will help improve your visibility a great deal, and when its still light out you won't have to worry about blinding people. Right about the time when I can start seeing my lights on the road in front of me (dusk) I'll switch em back to normal.

BlueMachu

Reaction score
Visit site
In the words of my recent boss, you can be dumb, or you can be stupid. But don't be dumb and stupid at the same time.

Regarding traffic, simply assume you're not seen. I honk, wave, slow down at all intersections and entrances onto lanes. I assume no one else cares whether I live or die (which they don't when they don't take a split second more to assure they're making a proper lane change/etc). That's what's kept me from wrecks and losing my cool.

Plus the next thing, is don't ride beyond your limits. Sure the FZ6 can do 145 mph (and I have), but don't do it in traffic or around turns. Do it in super-wide areas. When doing a wheelie, well I probably shouldn't continue this rant, that's just stupid to begin with. But I know how to, so its within my limits.

My moto, ride the machine for what it is, an enjoyable toy, that's just as breakable as I am. Instead of machismo mentality, I think fragility mentality, until its safe to be dumb or stupid. :thumbup: