Lighting Current Draw - Maximum?

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm considering doing a dual headlight mod, or adding auxiliary fog lights. I've read that if lighting has too much draw then the battery will not charge properly. Does anyone know the maximum draw that can be used without impacting battery charging?

Is it wattage, amperage or something else that has the largest impact on the draw. :confused:

If it is wattage then it seems that dual headlights on high would use about 120 watts. Is that okay? Is that the maximum, or can more wattage be used? The stock low beam and two 55 watt fog/driving lights would use about 165 watts.

Thank-you,

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm considering doing a dual headlight mod, or adding auxiliary fog lights. I've read that if lighting has too much draw then the battery will not charge properly. Does anyone know the maximum draw that can be used without impacting battery charging?

Is it wattage, amperage or something else that has the largest impact on the draw. :confused:

If it is wattage then it seems that dual headlights on high would use about 120 watts. Is that okay? Is that the maximum, or can more wattage be used? The stock low beam and two 55 watt fog/driving lights would use about 165 watts.

Thank-you,

Think of Wattage as total power. It is the product of multiplying the amperage times the voltage. eg. P=I x E or Watts = Amps X Volts. So in a 12 volts system just multiply 12 times the amperage of the fuse of the circuit and you know your total wattage load you can support without blowing the fuse. ( 12 volts X 20 amp fuse = 240 watts) Though you should leave yourself some room.

Now just add up the wattages of your mod an see if it fits the circuit.

You also have to look at the total wattage of your alternator to your total load in wattage to make sure you don't over tax the alternator.

Good Luck

Lewis

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Think of Wattage as total power. It is the product of multiplying the amperage times the voltage. eg. P=I x E or Watts = Amps X Volts. So in a 12 volts system just multiply 12 times the amperage of the fuse of the circuit and you know your total wattage load you can support without blowing the fuse. ( 12 volts X 20 amp fuse = 240 watts) Though you should leave yourself some room.

Now just add up the wattages of your mod an see if it fits the circuit.

You also have to look at the total wattage of your alternator to your total load in wattage to make sure you don't over tax the alternator.

Good Luck

Lewis

Thanks Lewis, That's great information.

Does anyone know the Alternator Wattage? I didn't see it in the owner's manual.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I"m running dual bulbs, and have had no problems. They're even the 90W low/130W high bulbs. I don't have the orange running lights on the front anymore though either. I haven't ran my grip heaters on high with them yet though, just low. I made this mod about 2 months ago. Here's the start of my pictures from the mod:
Farthest I've had it torn down... pictures from motorcycles photos on webshots

ganth

Reaction score
Visit site
My current battery is the third battery after mod to dual headlamp. I was facing problem to restart my bike after running the engine at idle a while(10~15mins). It seemed the battery was drained by high power demand from dual headlamps. My battery condition back to normal after I returned the bike to original single lamp.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
My current battery is the third battery after mod to dual headlamp. I was facing problem to restart my bike after running the engine at idle a while(10~15mins). It seemed the battery was drained by high power demand from dual headlamps. My battery condition back to normal after I returned the bike to original single lamp.

I could definitly see this happening. I guess my Q is why are you letting it idle for 10-15 minutes :confused: But if that is what you need to do, then yeah, the mod isn't for you. Works fine for me, so far. We'll see in the longrun I guess...