Lefty and Chemiker's winter wonderland ride

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a GoPro for Christmas and decided to drag Chemiker out on Monday 12/27 to be my "guinea pig" model for the maiden shoot. Here I am following Travis from Mt. Madonna in the Santa Cruz Mnts. to San Jose. Even though it was a chilly 60 degrees, we braved the cold and had a great ride. Chemiker was feeling quite frisky in spite of the bone chilling weather.....:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFR7MDzfQt4]YouTube - Mt Madonna Ride v 2 2010[/ame]

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! The GoPro video quality is so awesome. Someday when we get a faster home computer I'll be able to pull my 1080p HD videos off mine. For the mean time I have to settle on the 720 or lower.

So Lefty, did you have the open case on the back panel? Also were you using the suction cup attachment right on the top of the tank? I ask only because your shots are very stable.

Good work gentlemen. You guys know that riders in other states are hating us about now. :thumbup:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mark,
Yup, I put the open back on the camera and I was surprised how much of my stock exhaust I could hear. I did mount the camera by suction cup on the tank in front of the gas cap. It seemed to be jiggling a little when I was riding but you'd be hard pressed to see it in the final video. I also mounted a fixed quick release mount under the front fairing that I was going to try out today but didn't get around to it. Maybe tomorrow...

Yeah, I know those of you in other parts of the country (and Lone in Canada) hate us in Cali..:BLAA:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great vid guys! Lets see.....my bday is coming up. Might try to pick one up at the bike show in NY. I guess I missed the long beach show. Oh, Im out in CA right now for vacation, headed back to jersey on sunday. :(
Joe:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always say California drivers are one of the best when it comes to motorcycle awareness. Did you see that car pull off to the side of the road so these two could zip on by rather than trying to pass on a double yellow?

As far as the mount, I usually mount my camera onto the front of my windscreen using the suction cup. That way you're not filming though the windscreen which kinds of takes away the quality of the picture.

I've never had my camera fall of either.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Kool! Thanks for the invite, Lefty & Chemiker to ride along with you. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness! Thanks for the invite.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
If one's ride is currently sequestered in a cold garage, and one's driveway is full of ice and snow, and today's high temp was FINALLY above 32 deg. after 3 weeks of sub freezing weather (read: no sun and goddam cold)......then one would be tempted to say "You guys are seriously out of line with this". Or something similar to that. :Flip:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kool! Thanks for the invite, Lefty & Chemiker to ride along with you. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness! Thanks for the invite.

Stacy, I would have called you but it was a spur of the moment thing. I had a 3 hour window to get Chemiker sprung to get out for a ride.
Next time though.. :thumbup:

And this spring for sure for SoCal! :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Stacy, I would have called you but it was a spur of the moment thing. I had a 3 hour window to get Chemiker sprung to get out for a ride.
Next time though.. :thumbup:

And this spring for sure for SoCal! :rockon:

Oh yeah!!!!! :BLAA:

Nice video guys! I really liked the results when I borrowed my neighbor GoPro HD. I was surprised like Mark when I went to run the the 1080p 60fps on my computer. Was awesome on the my HD TV!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If one's ride is currently sequestered in a cold garage, and one's driveway is full of ice and snow, and today's high temp was FINALLY above 32 deg. after 3 weeks of sub freezing weather (read: no sun and goddam cold)......then one would be tempted to say "You guys are seriously out of line with this". Or something similar to that. :Flip:

Man!! This is California Love! We always aim to keep our hibernating brothers and sisters warm! :rolleyes:

Jack...We just can't help it! Actually, I think it's been a month since I've ridden and would have caught at least one ride this week except I got the Flu.:(

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man!! This is California Love! We always aim to keep our hibernating brothers and sisters warm! :rolleyes:

Jack...We just can't help it! Actually, I think it's been a month since I've ridden and would have caught at least one ride this week except I got the Flu.:(

Luckily for us in Cali all we have to do is ride in between rainstorms. I get depressed if I'm shut in after only 5 days. :eek:

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
wow I'm surprised you didn't suffer from hypothermia with those low temperatures out there. Does 60 degrees qualify for a wind breaker or the full on fleece vest? :BLAA: cool stuff though, we are just starting to recover from our first big snow storm over in Boston.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow I'm surprised you didn't suffer from hypothermia with those low temperatures out there. Does 60 degrees qualify for a wind breaker or the full on fleece vest? :BLAA: cool stuff though, we are just starting to recover from our first big snow storm over in Boston.

Thermal underwear beneath my leathers...no joke! :eek:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Not even thermal underwear for me. Not cold enough. I did wear a long sleeved t shirt under my jacket instead of the normal short sleeved t shirt.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Sarcasm, eh? Go west, young man!