Left hand position

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, this is probably gonna sound weird and leavee me open to mockery,but for some reason, when i'm riding my bike, i have to keep moving my left hand back in toward the controls as it strays out to where the bar end is. Its really annoying and never happened on my last bike, but that had wide handlebars. Anyone else have this problem? I measured the position of the bars wrt the clamps and the bars are 1mm further to the right, but i doubt that would make such a big difference. Any ideas?

Cheers

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, this is probably gonna sound weird and leavee me open to mockery,but for some reason, when i'm riding my bike, i have to keep moving my left hand back in toward the controls as it strays out to where the bar end is. Its really annoying and never happened on my last bike, but that had wide handlebars. Anyone else have this problem? I measured the position of the bars wrt the clamps and the bars are 1mm further to the right, but i doubt that would make such a big difference. Any ideas?

Cheers
i dont think it would actually make any difference but why dont you just move them 1mm back to make sure? when i first started riding i was in the habit of grabbing the bar ends also, i just had to teach myself that it wasn't right. it took some time but i eventually got the hang of it.

^ see no mockery here:thumbup:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never noticed this on any bike I have ridden. I guess my hand sits where it is most comfortable, controls always right there. :confused:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You havent dropped the bike and twisted the forks have you?
BTW no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer, just stupid answers lol.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Have you considered changing the grips?

My first modification on my bike was to put on a set of Tacky-Grips from Grand Touring.

They're a lot more comfortable if you have large hands, and because they're thicker in the middle, you know if your hand is out of position.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site

Cheers

Dia Duit Delboy!!! :) yer the only irish one I know on this site! You the "delboy" that frequents the IBF?

Anyways, regarding this problem, I find that my left hand side of my body does tend to ache a little bit as if I'm leaning that bit further on that side. Its probably nothing other than tension on the bike but I dont find my hand moving to the bar end on that side. Try adjusting your riding position, sit in a more upright position and see if that helps?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure your handlebar is centered. I bought my '07 used, the first owner said it had never been dropped but I found the telltale scuffmarks on the clutch lever ball end, mirror, and frame the first time I washed it (nothing serious). It wasn't until several months later I noticed the handlebar itself was off-center, probably got knocked that way during the drop. Two minutes wrench work and it was fine, and suddenly it felt a bit more "right" to ride!

EDIT: d'Oh! I just read this: Originally Posted by delboy "I measured the position of the bars wrt the clamps and the bars are 1mm further to the right, "

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Put the bike up on the centerstand and losen up the cluch and break levers. Then sit on the bike, feet up, in riding position and ajust the levers so that it is easy for you to ride with atleast your index finger on the clutch at all times. Being able to place your index finger on the lever might act as a reference point so that you will keep your hand in the right place.

-bryan

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers guys. Bikes never been dropped, but i will try moving the handlebars. I also have new oxford heated grips on which are larger and fit my hands better. Maybe i just have one arm shorter than the other. :D

BTW Magseal, you're not supposed to have a tight grip on the bars! :Flip:;)