LED indys 4/14 bulbs working...grrr :s

twistedbugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All, hopefully home one will be able to help as ive scoured the forums but can't seem to find a solution :/

I have an FZ6 '06 with normal indicators to the rear and LED flush mounts to the front.

When I first fitted the flush mounts a few years back, with an LED flasher relay, I thought I just got a bad set as only a few of the bulbs lit (4/14) when indicating but one of them recently broke and I ordered a new set.

The brand new ones have the same problem- much to my disappointment and have caused an MOT fail at the new garage I went to.*

My bike is completely standard apart from the indys and a CAT 1 alarm upgrade.
Both indicators have the same issue, there is no problem with flash rate. They are slightly dim but only until the engine is running.
The strange thing though is that when I alarm the bike all of the LED's flash on both indicators (later tested them on a battery and work perfectly).

I don't have a clue how to fix the problem!

I have checked the wires and all seems well, cleaned the contacts etc too. I also tried to put a resistor in series with one of the indicators but it made no difference (not sure if due to flasher relay in situ, no longer have original)

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated :)

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum :)

Do you have any links to the indicators?

Grtz,

Degake

Last edited:

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All, hopefully home one will be able to help as ive scoured the forums but can't seem to find a solution :/

I have an FZ6 '06 with normal indicators to the rear and LED flush mounts to the front.

When I first fitted the flush mounts a few years back, with an LED flasher relay, I thought I just got a bad set as only a few of the bulbs lit (4/14) when indicating but one of them recently broke and I ordered a new set.

The brand new ones have the same problem- much to my disappointment and have caused an MOT fail at the new garage I went to.*

My bike is completely standard apart from the indys and a CAT 1 alarm upgrade.
Both indicators have the same issue, there is no problem with flash rate. They are slightly dim but only until the engine is running.
The strange thing though is that when I alarm the bike all of the LED's flash on both indicators (later tested them on a battery and work perfectly).

I don't have a clue how to fix the problem!

I have checked the wires and all seems well, cleaned the contacts etc too. I also tried to put a resistor in series with one of the indicators but it made no difference (not sure if due to flasher relay in situ, no longer have original)

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated :)
it sounds as if the bulbs are not compatible with the fazers electrics
yes they may work
but may be set for a different system
you might have to get a regulator/rectifier to properly tune to your bikes electrics
or try indicators made especially for the uk market
as the ones you have may be for asia or us market and are set on slighty different system

Last edited:

twistedbugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, thanks for the replies and the welcome!

There are no links to the indys and they are European :)

I have been mucking about with it (instead of studying for my exams :s) and discovered that:

If plugged straight to the harness (before the flasher relay) then all the LED's work :)

There is a small resistor placed in series between the flasher and the harness (2x green/brown wires), if removed then the indys work perfectly :).....until you rev the bike up, just to be sure that you are truly a mechanical genius ....and your flasher relay blows! Off I head to H&G to buy a new one.

I'm not sure how that resistor is affecting the indys but it does seem to be the issue.

Thinking of splicing the indys to the harness, before the resistor and flasher, as they work when it is all connected and in this position....not really getting to the root of the problem though :/

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So it sounds like the alarm also flashes the blinkers? I'm going to say yes and point you in the direction of rewiring it correctly as it sounds as if its sourcing current from your turn lamps and effectively drawing current the lamps need to operate.

Can you unplug the main harness from the alarm and test the blinkers? This does not guarantee a 100% conformation that its the alarm or how its wired but it may help you see if the system can work correctly.

Look into how the alarm is integrated into the system and report as its the one thing that hasn't been changed since the LEDs were replaced.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
D'oh just realised, did you mean an online link to the type? Maybe not but my first thought was an electrical link!

Yeah, I meant a link to a website or such thing :BLAA:
Could you give a link/info on the installed alarm as well?

Are you sure the boxes are resistors and not load boxes? (converting from 12v to e.g. 6v (like Rizoma indicators)

Grtz,

Degake

twistedbugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, PROBLEM SOLVED! But what an annoying fix :s

Went to pick up a new LED flasher relay (since I blew mine by removing the resistor) and checked the rear Indys were working fine. Went home to try out disconnecting the alarm etc to find that the front LED's were now working perfectly!*

Turns out it was the flasher relay all along, quite confusing though as I thought it was only supposed to control the rate, not affect the power, so never thought of it being a problem. Was specific to yam as well so must just have been defective in some way.

At least I don't have to start splicing wires now :)

Thanks for all your suggestions!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you've got your problem sorted :)

Now go and introduce yourself in the new member thread and show us some pictures of your FZ :cheer::D

Grtz,

Degake