• Total voters

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was offered a couple of 12 inch led strips today and I would be grateful of advice on tapping into the wiring so as not to create overloading problems.. Have people generally run an isolating switch??
personally I think anything that makes a bike more obvious is ok...more lights, louder exhaust, slick paintjob, rider in fluoro, all up to the owners discretion, its your bike!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I think they can look good (like some of the pictures in this thread) if done correctly

I thought about getting some, but I didn't want to mess with wiring them.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I did the Audi LED's and Red LED's in the exhaust shroud.

I'm very interested in both of those, although i've already decided i want to do the brake lights, i'm paranoid about the globe at the back going out.

Heat is the obvious problem, could you give more info on how you placed them in the shrouds? Also, doesn't it affect the airflow through there?

It looks fantastic!!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I used white ones on mine. I don't turn them on too much. I thought that it would be good in a practical sense. If you had a mechanical problem at night you can turn them on and have a better chance of seeing what is wrong. They do look good when they are on. Have to try and post a pic next time.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
2011-09-24210317.jpg

Not too gaudy is it? White in the right places adds some visibility w/o screaming LOOK AT ME!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was offered a couple of 12 inch led strips today and I would be grateful of advice on tapping into the wiring so as not to create overloading problems.. Have people generally run an isolating switch??
personally I think anything that makes a bike more obvious is ok...more lights, louder exhaust, slick paintjob, rider in fluoro, all up to the owners discretion, its your bike!

You should have no problem running them off your running light circuit. LED's use little current compared to incandescent lights. I would still put them in line with a multimeter on the 10 amp range and see what they draw in current. I'd be surprised if the both of those 12 inch strips together draw more than 1 amp.

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing White LEDs this bike week. For two reasons:

1) It looks good with the rest of my bike: Angel eyes and Audi strips and blacked out look with silver accent.

2) SAFTEY. THis makes me more visible at night, the way people drive here in FL, you need everything short of spotlight to get peoples attention.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just about to fit the PowerBronze lower fairings to my 2005 Fazer, and was seriously considering running LEDs on the inside.

I reckon they look good - and as my Ventura rack partially covers my tail-light (if looking from above, from a truck, for example), I have seriously thought of putting some red ones on the back of the rack, wired from the stop light, too.

If done tastefully, I think they look good, but as long as you're happy, WHO CARES what others think?

Cheers,
Rick

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
The LED lights in the following video are on a FZ6. Althought not shown in the video, the lights have several functions and change to a variety of colors.

Check it out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayl2J3_Mxz4&context=C36f3a26ADOEgsToPDskKfI8753BY-1zZgNXnuzfeg]My FZ6 Light Show.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you don't go the "Christmas tree" way, they can look good, but the most important thing, specially if you ride on the dark is, you have more chances of being seen, I installed mine and wired them to the directional and brake lights, the front ones are set at 90 degrees and are amber, the back ones are also at 90 degrees but are red.
I think they are 70% safe and 30% cool.

ItsAllGood

Pro Aris et Focis
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally feel you can’t be too visible at night. I’ve found some LEDs that Wal-Mart actually used to carry a few years back & put 'em on everything I own. They quit carrying them now, of course, so I have to get them from the internet. They’re good looking, a decent size, non-obtrusive, and bright as all get out.

If you really need help deciding whether or not you need them, take your bike out to a deserted, dim lit parking lot some night, get off and leave it running and then walk out and look at it from the sides and back from about 30ft, 40yds, or even further. I don’t think it’ll be very hard to decide after that.

But then again the first things I do to any newly acquired ride is; 1) Headlight & Taillight modulators. 2) LEDs sides & back. 3) Stebel Air Horn. And again, it’s your bike…..the heck with everybody else.

FazrDan

Reaction score
Visit site
I think they look good if done right and obviously it would increase visibility/safety at night BUT I thought it was illegal to ride with them on? I'm in Illinois....

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked with a police officer here in Texas and he told me that as long as they aren't flashing and aren't red, blue or amber that you should be ok.