Latest Runaway Toyota Prius a LOAD?

Latest Toyota Prius runaway accelerator case: B.S.?

• Yes, the stinko-meter is registering very high

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • No, the driver, James Sikes, is not out for fame or $$$

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's interesting that we are not hearing anything from the CHP officer who got in front of the Yoda and stopped it. If it was a run-away car it should have been pushing the cruiser even when they were out of the cars. :eek: :confused::rolleyes::thumbup:

Mr. Sikes has got us psyched!:spank:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, this one is a little fishy.

What gets me about this whole thing is people have the time at 94 mph to 1) find their phone, 2) dial a number, 3) drive at 94 mph on a California freeway for 20 minutes.

There is also that MECHANICAL thing called a gear selector lever and one of the position is "N". For the time it took to dial the phone he could have shifted into neutral or slammed it into park.

I'm not buying this one.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

What gets me about this whole thing is people have the time at 94 mph to 1) find their phone, 2) dial a number, 3) drive at 94 mph on a California freeway for 20 minutes.

There is also that MECHANICAL thing called a gear selector lever and one of the position is "N". For the time it took to dial the phone he could have shifted into neutral or slammed it into park.

I'm not buying this one.

Pete,
He also bent over and tried to pull up on the gas peddle! :rof::rof:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete,
He also bent over and tried to pull up on the gas peddle! :rof::rof:

Classic, eyes off the road at 94.

I thought I read that he was afraid that if he put the car into neutral or park at those speeds the car would flip.

Let's see, N and stop, or keep going 94 mph and hit something. I think I'll hit something; at least I will have stopped. :rolleyes:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not buying this one.

Well, you know what they say about CA - "the land of the fruits and nuts" (not that there's anything wrong w'dat...LOL)...I'm just repeating something I heard :D and have to agree with based on what I experienced during trips I used to make to SF and SD (and the 6 months I spent stationed at Pendleton back in the 70s)...just sayin' (LOL)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha! LOL :rof::rof: Alright who voted for Sikes being on the level!?? Hahaha! :rof:

Last edited:

treevis

Please do not climb
Reaction score
Visit site
Same BS different pile. People always seem to forget history and the fact that it will repeat itself. I am too young to remember this but I am reminded of the Ford Pinto Scandal

You take the probable number of catastrophic failures x probable cost for each settlement

If that figure is less than a recall you don't do it.

You may remember that quote from a great movie called "Fight Club" :thumbup:

Ford Pinto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess what I am trying to say is.... I would still buy a toyota (if I could drive one comfortably)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whilst Toyota have a problem - which they are addressing - many people try to jump on the bandwagon.

They either want media attention or a new car.

Cry wolf people........

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
OK... I think the whole sitch is a little weird... People buy Toyotas for years because of their reliability... Then there are random problems with some of the cars... All of a sudden its only problems with the Prius... I may be wrong, but I would think the Prius is put together, just a little different than other cars...

The Prius is the first "very successful" Hybrid vehicle in the states and the American Auto industry just took a big hit... Oil companies are ummm oil companies...

I would say something is fishy...

Now I'm not saying Toyota maybe just screwed the pooch on this one, but I can't rule out shady operations. The Gottis have nothing on the American auto industry and the oil cartels...

Just sayin'

(Yes I know I sound like a conspiracy loon)

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got it... Some wanna be domestic terrorist was testing the circuitry of his crude one off build version of an emp bomb, and it miss fired thereby sending out a wide spread burst that corrupted the on board ecu of the Prius while it was driving by.
Beginning the out of control acceleration that could not be counteracted by said operator because of the opposing frequencies coming from his car radio speakers rendering the operator incapable of anything but a panicked 911 call...

I know because I saw something similar on 24 tonight...:ban:

I'll vote bs on this one:rolleyes:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same BS different pile. People always seem to forget history and the fact that it will repeat itself. I am too young to remember this but I am reminded of the Ford Pinto Scandal

You take the probable number of catastrophic failures x probable cost for each settlement

If that figure is less than a recall you don't do it.

You may remember that quote from a great movie called "Fight Club" :thumbup:

Ford Pinto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess what I am trying to say is.... I would still buy a toyota (if I could drive one comfortably)
I think Big Foot could drive one of these comfortably :D :rof:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

DAMMIT ERIC! No spoiler alert!?!? It's still on the DVR waiting for me to watch! :spank: :D

Yes, this is total BS. I work with two Prius drivers and BOTH have said, while cruising down the highway at a "spirited speed" they have both reached for the radio and pulled back only to find they shifted the car into neutral by accidentally bumping the shifter. Also, both said the floored gas pedal and applying the brake? Yeah, engine cuts and you slow down... head for the breakdown lane.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DAMMIT ERIC! No spoiler alert!?!? It's still on the DVR waiting for me to watch! :spank: :D

Sorry,:( it's still worth the watch.

I'm still wondering about the one that smacked the stone wall, any investigation on that one??

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got it... Some wanna be domestic terrorist was testing the circuitry of his crude one off build version of an emp bomb, and it miss fired thereby sending out a wide spread burst that corrupted the on board ecu of the Prius while it was driving by.
Beginning the out of control acceleration that could not be counteracted by said operator because of the opposing frequencies coming from his car radio speakers rendering the operator incapable of anything but a panicked 911 call...

You hafta be one O dem Ham Radio Operators! .... .. .... .. Haha! or should I say Hi Hi!

Reason I saying that is I used to be one to but now I'm just a Ham Sandwich Operator! :rof:

For you folks that don't know, emp is Electro Magnetic Pulse which is an extremely strong magnetic field generally produced by a detonated nuclear device. :eek: The field is so strong it regenerates current remotely in circuit boards of electronic devises and damages components, rendering equipment useless.:eek:
Usually radios are the most susceptible because of the very sensitive receiver front ends.

We used to keep all our Civil Defense radios short circuited at the receiver jacks to protect them during storage.

Dah Dih Dah!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Yeah I call BS on this too. Timing is WAY too convenient. Just admit you were speeding and take the ticket instead of fabricating "my gas pedal got stuck" story. Just trying to get himself out of a ticket and manybe make a buck at the same time.

I heard on the news last night that Toyota had examined the car and there was nothing mechanically wrong with it and that they were "puzzled".

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
BS!!!

Let me get on top of my soapbox here. Toyota is a manufacturer that has been producing quality vehicles for decades (compared to GM, I HATE GM BY THE WAY)... it's unfortunate that people got hurt and even died (media should do fundraisers for the victims or something like that instead of posting this crap).

It's just a sign of out times... CEOs want to make more money than all of their employees combined and take cheap shortcuts. Nobody asks or criticizes them! And the media will do anything for a buck... they are all tabloids at heart and give you a Bigfoot story instead of facts or even the truth :liar: