latest project - '87 FZR1000

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bought this during the summer. Definitely a fixer-upper, but it ran/was rideable. Due to some unexpected circumstances, I ended up with 3 bikes... my neighbor gave me an '82 XJ750 Maxim project to fix up (non-running). That took awhile, but got it running and addressed some issues, sold via CL a few weeks back. Wife was not happy about 3 bikes in the garage. Once the XJ was gone, she asked why I needed 2 bikes, whereby I explained that the FZ6 was the "wife" - rock-solid, comfortable, dependable, by-your-side all day long; and the FZR was the "girlfriend" - smokin' hot/flashy, probably a model at some point, handled roughly by previous individuals, uncomfortable as hell, headstrong, but still a looker. She laughed, and pointed out that the girlfriend need a bit of cosmetic surgery. She's not wrong. But the original plastics are still in decent condition, and the color-scheme plus dbl side-by-side headlights are so appealing... LOVE that look.

So this is by far the biggest teardown I've attempted so far. To give you an idea - the front brake-lines were original, from Jan 1987. My goal is not to have a show-piece, but to get it in much better shape that it was/is.

- rims are off and being powder-coated
- deciding on new tires (tires were from 2002), Michelin (PR3) or Pirellis
- exhaust being ceramic coated
- trying to refinish/fix up the old yoshimura can (scratches/dings)
- have 2006 R6S front calipers to install
- new Spiegler brake/clutch lines
- probably new front/rear brake rotors (some ducati-brembo models fit it)
- carb ready for disassembly

No way I could do this without another bike to ride during all this. I find I get itchy otherwise. And this is fun stuff. I'm not as accomplished as Gary in NJ or others, but I swear, sometimes this sort of work feels like... therapy.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope you keep the same color scheme, me likes!!

It's in great shape for a 1987.

Thanks Scott - absolutely keeping the original color scheme! Love the white/red/gold... The picture isn't too close so you don't see the road rash, and the blue gasket sealant, and so on... the plastics hide some stuff too. But yeah, regardless of all the items that need attention, I think it isn't as bad (cosmetically) as it could be for its' age.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a friend that brought one home from the dealer. He was in sales. I got to test ride this when it first came out when it was new. I was so impressed!
Definitely a keeper!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rims (powder-coated) and headers/exhaust (ceramic-coated) are back, look good. Brembo rotors (Ducati) for the front are on the way. Man, the snowball-effect certainly is in play... "well, since we're already in there, might as well replace X and Y as well. And how about Z?".

Picking the red was hard... trying to keep close to original (a bit more orange), but wanting darker, but trying to keep with original stickers/plastics.

IMG_20181108_180101.jpg

IMG_20181108_180129.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now you have me thinking about new rotors....
Those are really great looking!:rockon:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some progress this wknd, but I ended up with a slight dilemma.
- Got the front & rear rims back, balanced and with new tires! (michelin PR3 - the rear is an odd-size so limits tires choices).
- New brake rotors mounted (both Brembo)
- Have front tire mounted...
- New seals and pads in the ('03 R6S/compatible) rotors and soft-mounted those
- slightly different shade of gold, but I think I can deal
- Removed front/rear brake and clutch hoses
- all date Jan/Feb 1987
- and I rode it this way???
- replaced master cylinders in front and rear brakes

The issues is the clutch master cylinder. The part I ordered (2KW-W0099-00) doesn't fit, not even close. Upon further inspection, I have the right part, so - only conclusion I can come to is, this is NOT an 1987 cluster master cylinder assembly I have on here. Not quite sure how, or if I can, figure out what it really is. Thoughts on that? Or is my only real option to ebay the correct assembly, thus my cylinder-kit will then fit?

IMG_20181124_131324.jpg

IMG_20181202_111406.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not quite sure how, or if I can, figure out what it really is. Thoughts on that? Or is my only real option to ebay the correct assembly, thus my cylinder-kit will then fit?

That or replace the entire assembly with master for $125, part #1: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1987/fzr1000t/front-master-cylinder-2

For piece of mind, a NEW complete assembly, no internal pitting, etc may be the way to go..

That and you know it'll fit / function as designed for THAT bike.

Last edited:

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen many bikes 13-15y newer than yours looking much worse, so yours was definitely taken care of.

If everything ends up like those freshly coated rims, it will look great!

Always liked these vintage sport bikes...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In reference to that clutch master cylinder. I know it's a long shot but I'm wondering if someone put a Suzuki master cylinder on it? The SV1000 uses a hydraulic clutch.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In reference to that clutch master cylinder. I know it's a long shot but I'm wondering if someone put a Suzuki master cylinder on it? The SV1000 uses a hydraulic clutch.

Wondered about that. No visual clues currently on what it is, but I'll look again tonight. This was on a Sunday evening around 9pm, and I was kinda' dumbfounded... just did not see that coming.