latest project - '87 FZR1000

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Checked again - no evidence it is from Yamaha. Interestingly, the top of the cover mentions DOT3 or DOT4 - but the manual I have only references DOT3. Not sure when DOT4 was widely available, but would that text make this newer than 1987? To be clear, it's more of a curiosity now. Shifting has always been a bit chunky, even for a Yamaha (and after bleeding multiple times), but now I'm wondering if master-cylinder-of-unknown-origin drove sufficient pressure (tho' the old brake-line certainly didn't help). Agreeing with Scott, go with what the bike came with/is prescribed, which I will do.

IMG_20181204_211733.jpg

IMG_20181204_211804.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably says what it's from in Japanese¿ That bottom print. Anyone understand Japanese?
I agree with Scott's assessment. :)

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff / OP,

If you don't get any takers for the translation in a week or so, please remind me. My ol' college roommate spent a few years in Japan and could probably translate that, or certainly knows people who could do it easily.

Chris

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe...Just maybe.... [MENTION=83]VEGASRIDER[/MENTION] Kenny can you translate? Maybe it's not Japanese.

Also, I'm thinking this might be a brake master that was used instead. What triggers that thought is specific DOT 3 or 4 requirement.

"frein dot3 ou dot4 seulement" (in French)

This mystery is getting interesting... Front Brake Master Cylinder for 1" Motorcycle Handlebars - Black
attachment.php

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rig...Cylinder-For-Kawasaki-Suzuki/32754856846.html

It lists this as a universal master for Kawasaki, Suzuki and a Honda CBR250 Top picture...

Also: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...tch-Brake-Master-Cylinder-25mm/635924783.html

Looks like quite a few knock off possibilities out there.

Man, I think you are awfully close there, yeah. Could it really be a brake master, as the handles would be reversed (or upside-down)? Certainly you'd know before me... but that aliexpress link sure does look familiar.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Aliexpress lists it as a left or right hand unit so it probably was also intended as a clutch master.. It may have been original on a Japanese bike but we're probably seeing Chinese knock offs at Aliexpress.. Is there any thing that doesn't pop up from Aliexpress? Let me see now... Hmmmm....Corn dogs.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This one is left hand as would be your hydraulic clutch. The cover looks identical except the screws.

Attachments

• Right-Left-Universal-22mm-7-8-Motorcycle-Front-Hydraulic-Brake-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-For-Kawasa.jpg
    Right-Left-Universal-22mm-7-8-Motorcycle-Front-Hydraulic-Brake-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-For-Kawasa.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 22

Fz6 2007

Reaction score
Visit site
Screenshot_20181206-172211.jpg
Sent image to a friend on Twitter and the translation is about manufacturer specified doesn't discuss either dot 3or 4 ...

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread - I can do that since I started it, right? - this project has languished over the winter/spring. So here we are in June, summer has arrived and I'm still not done. Argh! So the last few weekend, I've been working hard, taking stock of what I had left to do and trying to knock it out. Mostly fit and finish/small things, no excuse for my losing momentum. In no particular order:

- original/rebuilt (new pads/seals) rear caliper attached
- 'new' R6 front calipers (new pads/seals) attached - Exup1000.co.uk :: Caliper Upgrade :: The definitive answers
- braided SS (spiegler) lines to front/rear brakes, clutch
- new fuel filter, gas lines
- rebuild internals in master/slave cylinder (hydraulic) clutch
- bike was mostly running in October, so I left the carb alone (but I'm not afraid if I have to break that down)
- new plugs (had to take to mechanic to get a stuck No. 2 out)
- new chain/rear sprocket

- problem with the front sprocket - the locking tab/nut has been welded on, for reasons unknown. I assume spline was stripped at some point? Oddly, doing some reading up on this, I saw posts on other forums from Scott [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] (!) - for now, I punted as it was still in OK shape, but will have to deal with eventually. If it helps, I can post a picture and see what this august body thinks my options are - down the road, not now.

- other problem was clutch... master cylinder was not pressurizing enough, just didn't feel right. Ordered rebuild kit, but still didn't seem right (if you read previous messages... clutch was not original, so I found one on ebay and replaced). Just realized my stupid mistake last wknd, I ordered wrong rebuild kit... from "master cylinder 1" (brake) and not "master cylinder 2" (clutch). Dumb dumb.

Anyway, even without a clutch (correct part on order) - it fired right up last night! My goal was July 4th wknd, and I think I'll make that. Cosmetically she still has some issues, but I'm mostly quite pleased! Still to do:
- drain/replace fork oil
- install plastics/fairing bits

Proof of Life

IMG_20190616_181222.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Getting there!

Re the sprocket, I don't remember the thread, but I doubt the splines themselves were stripped.

Most likely stripped threads on the output shaft.

Welding the nut on would be a bit easier than a full engine tear down and pulling the transmission to replace that output shaft..

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welding the nut on would be a bit easier than a full engine tear down and pulling the transmission to replace that output shaft..

Sigh.... that was a rude surprise. It was beyond me to think about looking there when scoping it out on CL (to buy). I will enjoy while I can, but will have to deal with at some point. Tomorrow...

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rideable! ToDo items left: replace fork oil, fix brake light, and replace seat cowl and inner radiator guard (waiting on 3rd party items to ship). In theory, unless something else breaks (more below), she's done. Can tell already she runs cooler (flushed radiator, dumped in engine ice, plus cleaned radiator fins) and runs smoother (carbs sync'd yesterday morning - idle is much smoother/regular) than previously (last October).

<update>

Took her for a ride to go see my Mom (about 15 miles away). She shut off on me just before I got there. Pretty sure it is the fuel pump, or power-delivery to it, as it felt like I ran out of gas, and I don't hear the fuel pump priming the carb when I turn the key on. I suppose that can happen (old/original parts fail esp. after not being used/sitting), but until then, was pretty happy with how she rode. Definitely feels 'planted' on the road - is this why everyone says to "fix" the FZ6 suspension? Could be I just don't know anything different.

MVIMG_20190630_150517.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this, ^^< FZ is a completely different machine (except in name) than the S1-S2 bikes.

Also, old fork oil, usually thinned out and nasty, also makes a big difference in handling..

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rideable! ToDo items left: replace fork oil, fix brake light, and replace seat cowl and inner radiator guard (waiting on 3rd party items to ship). In theory, unless something else breaks (more below), she's done. Can tell already she runs cooler (flushed radiator, dumped in engine ice, plus cleaned radiator fins) and runs smoother (carbs sync'd yesterday morning - idle is much smoother/regular) than previously (last October).

<update>

Took her for a ride to go see my Mom (about 15 miles away). She shut off on me just before I got there. Pretty sure it is the fuel pump, or power-delivery to it, as it felt like I ran out of gas, and I don't hear the fuel pump priming the carb when I turn the key on. I suppose that can happen (old/original parts fail esp. after not being used/sitting), but until then, was pretty happy with how she rode. Definitely feels 'planted' on the road - is this why everyone says to "fix" the FZ6 suspension? Could be I just don't know anything different.

View attachment 69826

Just to close this thread out (for now) - it ended up indeed being the fuel pump. I went 'round and 'round, having the bike shut off on me. Using the pump-priming as my guide, I was also swapping in a replacement CDI and fuel-pump relay, just wasn't sure. Even tried a 3rd-party fuel pump, but I think I burned that out in short order (it was quite a bit louder too). Ordered a used OEM pump and it's been perfect ever since. Probably look to rebuild the points on the original at some point.

So I've been riding this for about a year now. Been solid/reliable and lots of fun, but definitely shorter trips (less than 2 hours). She has a few issues to address yet, but I might wait until it gets cold again - we'll see.
- small leak in the right fork seal - considering the GVE and fork rebuild if I can justify the $
- runs a little warm in the summer (I've already flushed the coolant once, as well as replacing the thermostat).
- a little spotty at less than 3k rpm. I have replacement emulsion tubes (likely culprit) plus new gets to install in the carb.
- slow buildup of pressure in the hydraulic clutch lever, esp. as the bike/engine gets warm. I'm still messing with this... over-filled master cylinder? Something in master cylinder (it's new/OEM) that is not letting any over-pressure get relief (pinholes blocked)? Flushed brake fluid twice now... so still to be solved.

happy Pandemic riding everyone