Kit?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This kit is specifically made for the S2, 2007-2009 models. Likely because the S1 has a different speedo than the S2.

If you're modding from a US model you'll have to modify your switching for the headlamp to accommodate for the single H4 headlamp you'll be using.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the S2, US model. I think for now I'll keep the fairing though... it has grown on me. Not the best protection, but I had a 1.5hr, 80mph ride home on Sunday, and appreciated the bit of relief it afforded after riding all day in the twisties.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I got one to replace a broken naked setup. It ended up being PURE GARBAGE! Hardware didn't work with the kit, bolt holes that didn't line up, everything made from 100% pure chinesium. Mine was garbage, that doesn't mean 100% you would get that too, but just relaying personal experience. I ended up going to a 7" round light and brackets, with some tire inner tube to weather proof the wiring and hide it a bit. I love the look and function of the set up, but have noticed a loss of a few mpg because you are now a 2x4 pushing through the air.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's nearly a year on and I've decided to do this. There are a multitude of these kits on eBay, and they are not all the same. I ordered one that shipped from the USA and looked better than some of the others, though I am sure they are all sourced from the same few places. It arrives early next week. After I get one more ride in this weekend I'm going to remove the fairing and get the party started. Hopefully my bike is not apart more than a day or two!

Any words of wisdom, or supplies I should acquire before I get started, do let me know. I'll take plenty of photos and post progress.

Incidentally, I will be selling my old parts. One side of the fairing has some light rash and minor crack. I have a stock black painted windscreen, and a tall CalSci windscreen that really turns the FZ6 into a mile muncher. Not my style though, at least not on this bike. Photos soon, and of course I'll put everything in the for sale section.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Pack your patience and print out a wiring diagram because you may find a few uglies that need some love.
Also, since you've got it that far apart, I took the opportunity to replace fork bushings, seals, and upgrade the springs to accommodate not being a 130lb asian man. ;)

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pack your patience and print out a wiring diagram because you may find a few uglies that need some love.
Also, since you've got it that far apart, I took the opportunity to replace fork bushings, seals, and upgrade the springs to accommodate not being a 130lb asian man. ;)

I rebuilt the forks with new seals, heavier racetech springs and gold valve emulators last year. I may go heavier yet on the fork oil though. I think 5W is in there now, and I have several quarts of Motul 15W on my shelf.

I'm not looking forward to sorting the wiring. I think I was hopeful it would be plug and play but now I am realizing it is going to be a PITA. I just did a tail tidy and dusted off my soldering skills though. I'm not entirely pleased with the outcome there, I may redo it with some better connectors. I plan to track this bike after the pandemic, and I would like to be able to remove the rear lighting and plate as a unit.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rebuilt the forks with new seals, heavier racetech springs and gold valve emulators last year. I may go heavier yet on the fork oil though. I think 5W is in there now, and I have several quarts of Motul 15W on my shelf.

The weight of the oil is used to control rebound damping with the GVE’s. RaceTech recommends 15wt and I have always found that weight works best. In order to maintain your current compression damping you will probably have to adjust the GVE spring tension (1/4 turn more) with the heavier weight oil.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with heavier springs as I'm a bigger dude anyway as well as the 15w oil. Rides well for me. However now I need to upgrade the rear arrangement as it feels like my A$$ is dragging.

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's nearly a year on and I've decided to do this. There are a multitude of these kits on eBay, and they are not all the same. I ordered one that shipped from the USA and looked better than some of the others, though I am sure they are all sourced from the same few places. It arrives early next week. After I get one more ride in this weekend I'm going to remove the fairing and get the party started. Hopefully my bike is not apart more than a day or two!

Any words of wisdom, or supplies I should acquire before I get started, do let me know. I'll take plenty of photos and post progress.

Incidentally, I will be selling my old parts. One side of the fairing has some light rash and minor crack. I have a stock black painted windscreen, and a tall CalSci windscreen that really turns the FZ6 into a mile muncher. Not my style though, at least not on this bike. Photos soon, and of course I'll put everything in the for sale section.

cool, I am about to do the same thing. Can you share which kit you ordered -PM is fine too.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
cool, I am about to do the same thing. Can you share which kit you ordered -PM is fine too.

I'll post a photo when it arrives. Should be here today!

I went for one more ride with the fairing yesterday. Here is where things are at the moment. Removal was fairly easy. The only thing I struggled with was decoupling the wiring. I am a little concerned I won't be able to hide the wires properly without shortening since the cluster, headlight, and turn signals will be so much closer to the bars. I'd really hoped to avoid cutting wires. We'll see how it goes. I already really like the new view from the cockpit though.

IMG_2581.jpg IMG_2580.jpg

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I did like Ron Jeremy... Just cram it in ;)
I lifted the tank and pulled/pushed the frame side back into the frame as far as I could without using excessive pressure. Should buy at least a little real estate.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The part arrived this afternoon. I'm not totally disappointed, not terribly impressed either. They're about what I was expecting. The bracket was pretty bent out of shape, but it is easily contorted. The plastic parts are fine, and probably the same quality that would have come from Yamaha.

I think I have figured out how to mount the main bracket, but it wasn't immediately obvious. The lower mounting point appears to take the place of the bracket currently holding the horn, so I'll need to remove that and relocate the horn. The existing bracket holding the horn doubles as hanger for the front brake line, but the new bracket does not have the same hanger. I may need to make a new hanger for the brake line.

The upper mounting point only has one option that I can find, which is under the top triple on the right side The left side doesn't appear to have a mounting point, but the bracket has tabs for something I haven't figured out yet. It looks like a may need to make something, or ziptie it to the top triple. If not there will be a total of 2 tiny bolts holding the entire assembly to the bike. I'm not thrilled with the level of security.

If you've installed one of these things, let me know how you got it mounted up securely. I'll see what I can do and post about it later.

All of the pictures I tried to upload were too large for some reason, so I guess I need to take lower quality photos next time.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, taking me back... Went through the same stuff step by step.
I used a hose clamp to help suck everything together. One word of caution... Do your test fitting and get everything how you like, then take it all off and tape over the threads and hose the frame down with paint of your liking *enamel worked for me the second time around. It's made of chinesium which will rust by the second year if unsprayed. Ask how I know.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, taking me back... Went through the same stuff step by step.
I used a hose clamp to help suck everything together. One word of caution... Do your test fitting and get everything how you like, then take it all off and tape over the threads and hose the frame down with paint of your liking *enamel worked for me the second time around. It's made of chinesium which will rust by the second year if unsprayed. Ask how I know.

Good advice, thanks. I need to make a trip to the hardware store for some screws and bushings that were not included in the kit. Also some black zip ties since all of mine are neon colored. It's going to be a tight fit, but I think I've got a plan for everything.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's official: this kit is junk.

NONE of the fasteners it came with fit properly (sourced my own, and modified some grommets and rubbing bushings), most of the holes are misaligned (twisted, contorted and modified into place), one of the bar clamps is the wrong diameter (shimmed it), and the turn signals are not running lights (tape off the third wire).

I'm very close to having it all buttoned up and not looking like a disaster, and my turn signals stopped working. I turned the key on and used a multimeter to find the wire for the running lights, and determine right and left on the turn signals. Sorted that, taped off one of the running light wires and went to test again before I attach everything and mount the headlight... and no blinky lights. No running light from the third wire either. Checked the fuse and it was not blown but tried the spare anyway. The bike starts and runs, the headlight and brake light work.

Turn signals and running lights are not required where I live, but I still need to sort this out. GRRRRRRRRRRR.