Kissed 10 grand on the tach today

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Was out enjoying the 60 degree weather while it lasted (its been in the 20s off and on for two weeks) and decided to take a ride. Gave it the gas coming onto a semi-highway and wound up kissing the north end of 10 grand. MAN was that entertaining...started feeling the power hit around 9000 right on up past 10K. First time past 8 or so since I bought it in Sept. Had to let off when I started coming up on traffic, but now I'm waiting till i can get back out on an empty road....:rockon:

Last edited:

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can shift these things under twelve grand?

One of the great things about the fz is how it never fails to amaze with its awesomeness.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today for the first time i hit 12k rpm the bike and I felt great. usually ride around 7-8k all the time, mainly in 4th or 5th, depends on whats going around me. At that RPM if i need to get out of the way i just twist the wrist and gone, if i REALLY had to move i would kick it down a gear and then i have to hold on. Today was a mile stone (and a sphincter check) for me. Light changed green and i launched it, 1st gear Little in the air then into 2nd and more air, my heart was racing, it felt great. So as far as riding the bike again, i am up to 100% shape.

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait until you try to shift it into second, end up grabbing neutral and pull back on the throttle and hearing the rev limiter sing...only to realize your stupidity, and instead of shifting into second, trying to shift into first at 60mph and hearing a loud clunk.
I've done that multiple times.

But yes if you don't ride in the high rpm's you don't know what you're living for. This bike loves to be above 8k. It's surprising really how many people are so conservative with this bike, and then complain about a lack of power. Get to know that death machine between your legs.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait until you try to shift it into second, end up grabbing neutral and pull back on the throttle and hearing the rev limiter sing...only to realize your stupidity, and instead of shifting into second, trying to shift into first at 60mph and hearing a loud clunk.
I've done that multiple times.

But yes if you don't ride in the high rpm's you don't know what you're living for. This bike loves to be above 8k. It's surprising really how many people are so conservative with this bike, and then complain about a lack of power. Get to know that death machine between your legs.

I acidentally shifted into neutral like you've described. Had to pull over and puke on the side of the road because I hit the tank so hard. Got right back on and rode it like I stole it :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride the wheels of my FZ6 all the time...there is no point revving them past 12000rpm, look at a Dyno chart, rev limiter cuts in at 12000rpm...power stopd dead right at 12000rpm....peak power is from 8000rpm - 11000rpm.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride the wheels of my FZ6 all the time...there is no point revving them past 12000rpm, look at a Dyno chart, rev limiter cuts in at 12000rpm...power stopd dead right at 12000rpm....peak power is from 8000rpm - 11000rpm.

Does that include stock rockers, or just rockets like your's?

Maximum power: 72.0 kW (98 PS) @ 12,000 rpm
Maximum torque: 63.1 Nm (6.4 kg-m) @ 10,000 rpm

Mine only has the normal mods a lot of people carry out, pipes, after market airfilter, PC111, Dyno tune, and HP figure almost identical to that posted by Grommit, rev limiter is same, before and after these mods....Yamaha buils a "safety buffer" into the motor, to stop people from killing their bikes.....

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today for the first time i hit 13k rpm the bike and I felt great. usually ride around 7-8k all the time, mainly in 4th or 5th, depends on whats going around me. At that RPM if i need to get out of the way i just twist the wrist and gone, if i REALLY had to move i would kick it down a gear and then i have to hold on. Today was a mile stone (and a sphincter check) for me. Light changed green and i launched it, 1st gear Little in the air then into 2nd and more air, my heart was racing, it felt great. So as far as riding the bike again, i am up to 100% shape.

I remember the first time I twisted the throttle wide-open in first gear.... near the top of it the front wheel came up... I shifted into 2nd and gave it WOT again.... more wheel. Too exciting. After it happened I thought "man, I just did this on the road??"

I think I'm going to have to build my own track haha.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
What dif does riding that hi do to gas milage? I ride super conservative and get around 40-45mpg. Never really rang it's neck...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 LOVES to have you ring it's neck. These motors were made to operate at high rpm.
Having never ridden conserative I can tell you with complete confidence my 07 gets 41-43 on Kalifornia regular 87 gas.
Amazingly this is the same milage for my FJR 1300.