Kilometer charge in the Netherlands

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well what will they think of next? In 2011 the Netherlands are going to introduce a charge per kilometer you drive on the highways. They had originally planned to have this in place by 2007 but it has since been postponed due to several factors.

Why they don't just increase the tax on petrol (gas) as this is already an indirect kilometer tax, with the added bonus of being an eco tax (for cars that drink a lot of fuel). Instead they are paying millions to put a system in place that monitors your highway movements. The truth of the matter is they dare not add any more tax to what is now one of (if not) the most expensive fuel in Europe, so they dreamt this one up :confused:

Anyway there is one upside to all of this, last month the parliament agreed (after much campaining by several Dutch Motorbike organisations), that motorbikes will be exempt from this tax :)

The main argument of the government to introduce this tax was to cut down the traffic jams, the main argument of the biking organisations was that as motorbikes can legally filter in the Netherlands they don't add to the traffic jam :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
H

HavBlue

Just out of curiosity how much do you folks pay in registration fees to ride your bikes on the road for a year?

H

HavBlue

So if it's roughly $90.00usd to ride for a year then it's about the same as I pay here in Kentucky. I paid a bit more in California. We have a state and federal tax on gasoline though, which accounts for around 36 cents on the gallon. I don't have a problem with the tax or registration if the fees go to roads and such. Here in Kentucky more than half the cost of registration goes towards "schools" and I haven't had children of school age for years. In California all the money went towards roads and their respective construction or maintenance. Do you folks not have toll roads?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So if it's roughly $90.00usd to ride for a year then it's about the same as I pay here in Kentucky. I paid a bit more in California. We have a state and federal tax on gasoline though, which accounts for around 36 cents on the gallon. I don't have a problem with the tax or registration if the fees go to roads and such. Here in Kentucky more than half the cost of registration goes towards "schools" and I haven't had children of school age for years. In California all the money went towards roads and their respective construction or maintenance. Do you folks not have toll roads?

I think we have 1 major toll road (M6 Toll) in the UK. In Europe they are much more common. We do have some crossings (bridges) that have tolls.

Our road tax does not go to the roads directly if at all.:eek:

H

HavBlue

I think we have 1 major toll road (M6 Toll) in the UK. In Europe they are much more common. We do have some crossings (bridges) that have tolls.

Our road tax does not go to the roads directly if at all.:eek:

Kentucky dropped its last toll road in November of 2006. There are other states that have them. In California the Bay area is full of bridges like the Golden Gate that have tolls.

Road tax that doesn't go to roads would drive me nuts. Especially if the roads I ride on were in a state of bad repair. Why have a road tax if it's not for the roads? This is why the school tax on my registration drives me nuts.

H

HavBlue

It is a tax to use the roads these days. Thats why we are so anti-road pricing, how many times do we need to pay?

Exactly... Each year I read about the lack of funds for maintaining roads yet the same road has waited for years to be repaved or repaired. Then, when a public audit of the funds finds the money needed for road repairs went to some special interest fund things get hot. In my view, vehicle registration fees and fuel taxes should go to roads and only roads. At that point we may just have enough money to maintain what we have or build more. We may also have enough money for driver/rider awareness programs and educational issues.