Key made from gas cap?

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone

Have another question for you guys. A guy on my campus has a GS500E, and has lost his only key. He called around to the local locksmiths, but no one in our area (Kalamazoo) will come out and make a key on sight. Unfortunately, drilling out the shear bolts and removing the ignition isnt an option because we are both living in the dorms and only have hand tools. He tried to remove his top triple with the ignition attached, but he said steering lock is preventing it from coming off.

At this point, I am thinking it would be alot easier to just remove and drain the tank and just bring it to the locksmith to have the key made. He told me that he was going to do that with his seat lock, but apparently it only has half the threads that the ignition has so the key wouldnt work in the ignition. Do you guys think that he could have a key made from the gascap? Or is there a trick to getting the triple off with the steering lock locked. Ive looked online a bit and have read contrary opinions.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Good luck man, let us know how it turns out. The locksmith we use told me he can't make keys like that. When I asked him about re-keying my ign. lock cylinder (I bought my bike used), he told me about a mechanic at a motorcycle dealer near me that lost his key. The locksmith couldn't make a key for his bike. His only option was to get a lock set, $350 was his cost. It comes with the ign. lock, seat lock, and gas cap lock.

You're buddy might want to try the dealer, give them the VIN and maybe you'll get lucky. I have several extra keys, plus the original with the keycode tag in a safe place just so something like this won't happen to me.

Good luck!

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
why not load it up into a truck and take it to a locksmith?

I actually talked that over with him, because I have a truck here on campus. The problem is getting it loaded with the steering lock on, and we dont have a ramp to get it in the bed. If we were able to get a couple of big guys out there they could probably lift it up, but I dont think he wants to risk it :eek:. Its not a very heavy bike so it could happen...Might end up having to do that in the end.

Good luck man, let us know how it turns out. The locksmith we use told me he can't make keys like that. When I asked him about re-keying my ign. lock cylinder (I bought my bike used), he told me about a mechanic at a motorcycle dealer near me that lost his key. The locksmith couldn't make a key for his bike. His only option was to get a lock set, $350 was his cost. It comes with the ign. lock, seat lock, and gas cap lock.

You're buddy might want to try the dealer, give them the VIN and maybe you'll get lucky. I have several extra keys, plus the original with the keycode tag in a safe place just so something like this won't happen to me.

Good luck!

Thanks man, thats what I was thinking too. He talked to the dealer and they said they need the key code off the original set of keys, and they cant cross reference the VIN :(. He did say the locksmith would make a key off the ignition for him if he could get it in there, so hopefully they will. That would really suck if he had to get a whole new lock set!

I feel bad for the guy because he is a new rider and hes missin out on some awesome weather. So let this be a lesson to everyone- buy extra keys! You might need them someday! And keep your keycode somewhere safe like GTPaddict.

Im going to take a look at it tomorrow so ill let you all know how it goes.

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe he can contact the dealer that supplied the bike to the first owner. The dealer I bought my bike from kept a record of the code on the little silver tag and can use that to replace the key should it get lost.

Also on page 10-2 of my owner manual there is a place to record the key number, VIN number and Model Label information. Maybe the original owner filled his manual in !!

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe he can contact the dealer that supplied the bike to the first owner. The dealer I bought my bike from kept a record of the code on the little silver tag and can use that to replace the key should it get lost.

Also on page 10-2 of my owner manual there is a place to record the key number, VIN number and Model Label information. Maybe the original owner filled his manual in !!

Great info didnt think of that!! Ill ask him tomorrow if he can contact the previous owner. The bike is a bit older, a '99 I believe so it might be difficult to track down if there have been multiple owners but its worth a shot! It looks like the previous owner maintained it pretty well and the bike even has its original tool kit, so maybe he will get lucky with the manual. Thanks!:thumbup:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we were able to get the yoke off yesterday after droping the forks a little bit, which over road the steering lock. Was relatively simple, but he did most of the leg work before I got there lol. He had already tried contacting the PO but there were more owners before him so that was a dead end and he didnt have the manual so removing it was the only option. He dropped the yoke with the ignition attached off at the locksmith who is working on the key right now. Hopefully he will get it back today because he ordered the blanks ahead of time. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike new but I taped the metal tag that comes with the keys to the envelope that my title is in. could also write the code on a piece of paper and paperclip it to the title. I did the same with my car

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I completely forgot to post an update! :spank:

The locksmith was able to make a key (well, 3 keys)! It took him a while to get the ignition off the yoke- I guess security bolts are a bit different than our FZs, but he was able to do it. Unfortunately for my friend, we had some pretty crappy weather right after he got his bike back together and he ended up putting it in storage about the same time I did.

If anyone in southwest Michigan gets in the same situation and needs a locksmith who will make a key from the ignition, send me a PM and I will get the name of the company from my friend. I dont want to openly post it here on the boards. :thumbup:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Also if anyone finds this thread in the future from a search, you HAVE to use the ignition to make a key. The gascap/seatlock/helmet lock wont cut it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was also thinking that if you had the vin and gave the vin to a dealer that maybe the dealer could look up what dealer originally sold the bike and they might have the key code. :Flash:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you were able to get one made and didn't have to replace all of the locks. :thumbup:

Thanks! Luckily it wasnt me who had to go through all of that, I bought my bike new so I have a spare key and the keycode. I was just trying to help out a new rider :rockon:

I learned my lesson with my Honda though- lost my key at work years ago but luckily I found it the next day :D