Keeping in shape to ride

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone do this or feel its important to keep off those extra pounds during riding season or dont you care? Fitness is an extremely important part of my lifestyle, i'm very active, it always has been. I dont specifically drop pounds for riding, dont need to, but i know being lean has its plus side for riding. Less aches, longer riding duration, manuverability, stay cooler in heat, my ass never hurts, etc. I see some large people on sport style bikes and wonder if the thought ever crosses their minds that being a little more fit may make the experience much more enjoyable for them. I'm not out to thrash anyone, i just want to know.

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I do, been laid off for a bit now and gained some weight so for the past month I've been hitting the gym and watching the calorie intake, kinda tuff though Minnesota winters get long.

Mugwump

Uncle at large
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I was just being paranoid but apparently someone IS watching my ass as I putt down the road:eek:
I've been trying to lose the pounds for years without much success. Now that I've started riding I have some additional reasons to get in shape. Hope for the best, the battle of the bulge starts now! (just as soon as my favorite TV show ends and I have my midnite snack):thumbup:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone do this or feel its important to keep off those extra pounds during riding season or dont you care? Fitness is an extremely important part of my lifestyle, i'm very active, it always has been. I dont specifically drop pounds for riding, dont need to, but i know being lean has its plus side for riding. Less aches, longer riding duration, manuverability, stay cooler in heat, my ass never hurts, etc. I see some large people on sport style bikes and wonder if the thought ever crosses their minds that being a little more fit may make the experience much more enjoyable for them. I'm not out to thrash anyone, i just want to know.

less fat, more hp :thumbup:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site

I do one workout a week in the gym concentrated on my legs for track. Cause they have to be fit if you want to ride correct/fast. The more endurance you have, the more you can concentrate on the riding itself.

Plus I ride my pushbike everyday and go to the gym another 2day's besides the leg workout.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
My life revolves around training so no, I don't exercise to stay fit for riding. I do mostly wushu (Chinese martial arts) and strength training. I usually work out six or seven times per week. :)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I eat lots of burgers and stuff for my training regime:BLAA:....lol.

Seriously though, I've got an illness that causes me to stack on the weight as a side affect. Fortunately there is a treatment for said illness that causes me to stack on even more weight (went from 70kg to 92kg in just over a year, working full time on a heavy production line and working as a dive master in my spare time cranking up over 100 dives in under 12 months, and am now over 100kg)...lol...so I'm pretty well knackered:spank:...lol.

Having said that, I rode my fz6 50,000km in 15 months, and most of that was hard twisty riding, so it can't be too bad...lol. Would love to be 70kg's again though. I reckon I'd be pretty competitive at the track at 70kg's.:rockon:

At least I can still ride my bike:cheer::D

Cheers
Mike

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
and working as a dive master in my spare time cranking up over 100 dives in under 12 months
Cheers
Mike

So if and when I make it down to Oz to dive, can I plan on you being my under water tour guide?? :D
I am a PADI certified open water diver, and diving the GBR is on my "bucket list." :thumbup:

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to think I dont look like a fat old guy on a bike but maybe I do...hmm. I have been aware that I get a lot more attention when I have all my gear on and no one can really see me so I'm just going to keep my jacket tight and my helmet on all the time from now on.:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So if and when I make it down to Oz to dive, can I plan on you being my under water tour guide?? :D
I am a PADI certified open water diver, and diving the GBR is on my "bucket list." :thumbup:

LOL...I haven't dived for quite a while now due to the uncertainty of the effects of pressure on my medication (as I found out when using Zyban to try and give up smoking a while back while working as an SSI dive con, and finding out a couple weeks in that pressure can cause seizures....lol.)

Wouldn't mind doing some diving though. I can tour guide you on pretty much any site in South OZ. I used to know the Leafy Seadragons at Rapid Bay by name...lol.

Just remember I don't use much air and am not very gracious about having to end my dives with half a tank or more:BLAA:...lol. I went away with the ex once and did 3 dives on one tank over three days and still came back with 60 bar...lol...She got a fill after every dive. Oh, and I don't get cold much either (another side affect)...lol...I actually used to sleep 9 metres down in the dive shop pool sometimes on 40+degree days. Wake up out of air and quickly swap reg for one on a spare tank...lol.

As for diving in Queensland...just make sure you get back on the boat afterwards:eek::thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is very important in life to stay fit, I really don't want to be a prisoner of my body. I ride my bicycle every day for 28km to my work, and I go running 3 times in a week for 6km. This is how I keep up in shape, never been to a gym in my life. :) I try to be eco and sporty at the same time. :)

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Keeping in shape to ride is not about vanity for me (at least not more than 40% :D). Riding is a great excuse to keep in shape for these reasons:

1) That freakin' race suite cost me $600 (I think it was a good deal but still a lot of cash) and if I gain weight I cannot fit into it; if I lose a few pounds, maybe it will feel more comfortable.
2) If my bike falls, I want to be able to pick it up without even thinking.
3) Having good strength and health means you can do a lot of maintenance on your own to save money.
4) As someone else said, less weight makes me faster and saves gas.
5) If I get hurt, healing takes a long time but I think it's faster if you're in good health and/or in shape.
6) In the Summer, I wash my bike with a tank top on and need to look good :D.
7) Seems on the sport bike, young hot girls like to wave and I want to look good :D
8) Strong riding legs helps in many other activities other than motorcycling.
9) I also have a cruiser (about 700 lb with fuel and oil) and it helps to have decent strength because I hate having to start/stop the motor just to get it into and out of the garage.
10) I'm 43 now and in general, I try to keep in shape mostly because I know my body needs it to thrive. There's so much I want to do that involves physical health and I need to be in shape to do it. Riding is a great excuse to keep in shape.

Dennis

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
Keeping in shape to ride is not about vanity for me (at least not more than 40% :D). Riding is a great excuse to keep in shape for these reasons:

1) That freakin' race suite cost me $600 (I think it was a good deal but still a lot of cash) and if I gain weight I cannot fit into it; if I lose a few pounds, maybe it will feel more comfortable.
2) If my bike falls, I want to be able to pick it up without even thinking.
3) Having good strength and health means you can do a lot of maintenance on your own to save money.
4) As someone else said, less weight makes me faster and saves gas.
5) If I get hurt, healing takes a long time but I think it's faster if you're in good health and/or in shape.
6) In the Summer, I wash my bike with a tank top on and need to look good :D.
7) Seems on the sport bike, young hot girls like to wave and I want to look good :D
8) Strong riding legs helps in many other activities other than motorcycling.
9) I also have a cruiser (about 700 lb with fuel and oil) and it helps to have decent strength because I hate having to start/stop the motor just to get it into and out of the garage.
10) I'm 43 now and in general, I try to keep in shape mostly because I know my body needs it to thrive. There's so much I want to do that involves physical health and I need to be in shape to do it. Riding is a great excuse to keep in shape.

Dennis

Hahaha, good points Dennis. I especially like the one about looking good so the young hot girls will wave at you. :cheer:

I agree that being in good shape is very important for riding. I also think however that most riders work WAY too hard when riding their bikes, either on the road or on the track. They exert too much effort on things like counter steering, braking and body position, and they move around on thier bikes too much.

I often hear riders complaining about arm pump or stiff arms and while being in shape could help, often improving your general riding techniques makes a world of difference.

Misti