K&N Air Filter Install - Easy Mod

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
You might have to change the ECU map if you do both these together. The lean mixture might hurt your engine. I don't know about the ECU on the 06 but the 08 is not programmable. Did you get the TB Juice Box along with the cans or the PCIII?
-Manas.

I do not know how or what is correct setting to change to...I could call Two Brothers directly. They were real helpful when I called about noise reducers. They should have specs for every bike they make a can for and what setting should be after installing their equipment........:confused:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not know how or what is correct setting to change to...I could call Two Brothers directly. They were real helpful when I called about noise reducers. They should have specs for every bike they make a can for and what setting should be after installing their equipment........:confused:

Just the cans might not need a new map. But since you are also putting the K&N you will have to change the map. If you get the PCIII you will find maps on dynojet's website for the exhaust and filter combination, or anyone on the forum who has done the same mod might be able to help you out. You might want to talk to TB anyways about changes to the mixture ratio with just the exhaust. I know for sure that putting just the Scorpions on my bike I did not have to change anything, but I am also putting on the K&N some time soon and so had to get a PCIII for that which I should be getting in a few days.

-Manas.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I really haven't ridden with the new filter enough to quantify it, but the performance is noticably better. As mentioned, it is a lifetime filter that can be cleaned as well. I have TBR cans as well but these have been on for a while, so I don't think the new filter will have much impact on the ECU.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Theoretically better performance or noticably better performance?

Should be noticeable since the number of people doing this mod is a lot. But for me personally it is theoretical so far since I have not done it. I'll have personal results within a couple of weeks.

-Manas.

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
Just talked to Joe at TBR. He said it is advised to reprogram or buy TBR-Juice-Box...especially with our high-reving bikes.:eyebrow: I'm going to call my local shop and see what they charge for a reprogram vrs. the Juice-Box at $299.00.

However..this is taken directly from TBR website Q&A section: :rant:

Question: My bike is fuel injected, do I need to make any adjustments or chip changes?

TBR answer: Generally fuel injected bikes automatically compensate for exhaust and engine related modifications very well. Unless you are building a Superbike motor with over 30% horsepower increases, your stock FI system should work just fine with your new exhaust system and you will reap the benefits immediately. We have however found that with the addition of either a Juice Box™ or a Power Commander with the proper map, the ride-ability of the bike will improve greatly over that of the stock bike and there can be additional performance gains to be had. We carry our own signature Juice Box Fuel Controller and Dynojet Power Commanders for most fuel injected bikes and we can also furnish it with a map just for your machine and our pipe.

Last edited:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Just talked to Joe at TBR. He said it is advised to reprogram or buy TBR-Juice-Box...especially with our high-reving bikes.:eyebrow: I'm going to call my local shop and see what they charge for a reprogram vrs. the Juice-Box at $299.00.

However..this is taken directly from TBR website Q&A section: :rant:

Question: My bike is fuel injected, do I need to make any adjustments or chip changes?

TBR answer: Generally fuel injected bikes automatically compensate for exhaust and engine related modifications very well. Unless you are building a Superbike motor with over 30% horsepower increases, your stock FI system should work just fine with your new exhaust system and you will reap the benefits immediately. We have however found that with the addition of either a Juice Box™ or a Power Commander with the proper map, the ride-ability of the bike will improve greatly over that of the stock bike and there can be additional performance gains to be had. We carry our own signature Juice Box Fuel Controller and Dynojet Power Commanders for most fuel injected bikes and we can also furnish it with a map just for your machine and our pipe.

Yep..that makes total sense except for the part about reprogramming. For an 08 bike (mine) the ECU is not programmable, I am not sure about 06's. Hence, I had to invest in a PCIII to change the map.

If you are just changing the stock exhaust, the ECU should be able to correct the ratio. A re-map is not required but recommended. When you bring a K&N in to the picture though, a re-map is required.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Theoretically better performance or noticably better performance?

I also have a K&N air filter. If you visit the K&N Website K&N Air Intake Horsepower Gain, you can do a power gain search by vehicle, if installing a K&N Filter will increase your horsepower they will show the estimated increase under the part number. To see a demonstration of this you can put in something like a 2008 Dodge Charger with a 6.1L V8 you will see that the estimated gain is 21.09 hp @ 5216 rpm.

There is no power increase shown under the air filter part number for the FZ6. That being said, I have emailed K&N and asked them if installing their filter will give me a horsepower gain, waiting for the reply.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a little more feedback on the K&N filter. It's like the bike had asthma before I put it in...it's salbutamol for bikes! She runs really smooth, revs up faster, and when I open her up she really responds. It's not that it will turn the bike into a 1000cc monster...it just makes a bit more out of it's potential, maybe like going from a 93 to a 97 octane. A little more rip...can't be a bad thing! :rockon:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
All right, I'm intrigued. I just might put one in mine.

One big plus is not having to change it for 50K miles. Another plus might be more intake noise to make the bike sound a little meaner.

How many mpg did you lose? and does it improve the sound of the bike when you rev it?

Thanks,

Dennis

Blackblood

OMG Wheelies!
Reaction score
www.quayvipersmcc.com

One big plus is not having to change it for 50K miles. Another plus might be more intake noise to make the bike sound a little meaner.

How many mpg did you lose? and does it improve the sound of the bike when you rev it?

Thanks,

Dennis

Put my K&N in last week.Does sound a little meaner but can also hear the bike breathing so much easier compared to the stock filter. Fuel MPG,I think mine actually went up,130 reasonably aggressive miles yesterday and I reckon theres still 30-40(maybe more) left in it before 1/6bars and reserve empty.

All in all. £35 from uk ebay was a very very worthy spend

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks,

Dennis

I don't know if it improved the sound, but the whine of the air intake is reduced by a lot, which I did notice. The engine is breathing better. Just did one tank after the air filter swap but I also installed a PCIII along with the air filter. So these two things combined caused a slight drop in mileage. Will get a better average after a couple more tanks of gas.

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I was at the dealer last week, so I asked them to order me a K&N for my bike. When I told him the year and model, he advised against it saying some owners have had problems and would have to re-map. He said "two owners with the same year a model would do the mod; one would have a problem and the other would be fine".

Anyone with a negative experience?

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
I was at the dealer last week, so I asked them to order me a K&N for my bike. When I told him the year and model, he advised against it saying some owners have had problems and would have to re-map. He said "two owners with the same year a model would do the mod; one would have a problem and the other would be fine".

Anyone with a negative experience?

I also installed a PCIII when I swapped the air filter. I also have a scorpion exhaust on my bike, so I downloaded the scorpion map from dynojet's website. It is not needed to install a PCIII but I did it anyways. There is a thread here somewhere where someone adjusted the settings by just shorting a wire under the speedo (I think). But I like what the PC adds to the bike, the throttle response is much smoother throughout the RPMs. Jerkiness be gone! One of these days, I might take it to a dyno shop and get a custom map done.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've been riding with it daily for 3 weeks now, and I'm still impressed. She runs really smooth with no hesitation. I had a good run at about 120 mph last Friday and she just shone. Never tried to reset the injection mapping by disconnecting the battery, so far its running so good I don't want to mess with it. I'll post back with updates.