Just got my RF-1000 in the mail to replace my $70 Vega

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit excited about my first decent helmet so just thought I'd share for the odd person that might be wondering if it's worth spending a little more to get a nicer lid. I picked up the caster TC-5 on sale:
Shoei RF-1000 Caster TC5 Helmet Special Buy from SportbikeTrackGear.com

I guess there's a reason people spend more money on helmets. This thing is much quieter than the cheapo I bought as my first helmet (the Vega). I just got back from taking it out on the interstate to test it out and there was way less buffeting. When I tucked behind the screen at 80mph, it got really quiet. Pretty cool.

Another thing I noticed is that the Shoei offers less obstruction to my peripheral vision. I didn't have to turn my head as far when switching lanes, and the shield is distortion free.

I was a little worried about the shield release mechanism, because it is made much the same way as the Vega's and the spring broke on the Vega the first time I replaced the shield, leaving it a bit troublesome. The Shoei felt a lot more durable and it the dark smoke shield popped right in there without a problem.

Between it and my white Shift boots, I've nearly completed the Storm Trooper look.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on getting the new lid. Indeed sounds like a very nice helmet. I would spring for one of these if I had the cash. On sale or not, this is still out of my budget.

A new helmet came today that I got on closeout. Scorpion Exo-400 Tsunami. Cost me $90 shipped. Build quality is very decent and I liked the graphics of Silver on Black. I was skeptical about the low price but as long as it was going to be DOT/Snell certified I figured I would try it out.

It's plenty comfortable and the venting is decent. And the thing I like the most about scorpions is the shield never fogs up, ever (started with an Exo-700).

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got one too - love it. I've always had AGV - this is my first Shoei. Mine cost AUS$740 back in August :eek: We pay a lot for things like this in Aus.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
to the op. i wear the same lid, only in blue. i'm very pleased with the helmet. Upgrade to a smoked shield. You'll never go back to the clear one during the day.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same helmet, Shoei Rf1000 Caster in Blue.

They are discontinued, the RF1000 has been superseded by the Eleven. So there are great deals on these helmets everywhere.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on getting the new lid. Indeed sounds like a very nice helmet. I would spring for one of these if I had the cash. On sale or not, this is still out of my budget.

A new helmet came today that I got on closeout. Scorpion Exo-400 Tsunami. Cost me $90 shipped. Build quality is very decent and I liked the graphics of Silver on Black. I was skeptical about the low price but as long as it was going to be DOT/Snell certified I figured I would try it out.

It's plenty comfortable and the venting is decent. And the thing I like the most about scorpions is the shield never fogs up, ever (started with an Exo-700).

I came very close to ordering a Tsunami for my first helmet, but ended up picking up the Vega locally because I really wasn't sure what size to go with at the time. I really like the shield mechanism on the Exo's. I had planned on getting this Sinister Exo-700:
Scorpion EXO-700 Sinister Black Helmet from SportbikeTrackGear.com

But I decided to go with the Shoei because of the closeouts on the RF1000's. I wanted the Camino in white as I think the design is pure sex:
RF1000_CAMINO_TC-6.jpg

But I searched high and low and everyone was sold out in my size.

One thing about this Shoei - the cheek pads are a bit overpadded for my face. I feel like a little kid getting his lips smashed together by the visiting out-of-town aunt. Hopefully they'll wear in some.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I came very close to ordering a Tsunami for my first helmet, but ended up picking up the Vega locally because I really wasn't sure what size to go with at the time. I really like the shield mechanism on the Exo's. I had planned on getting this Sinister Exo-700:
Scorpion EXO-700 Sinister Black Helmet from SportbikeTrackGear.com

But I decided to go with the Shoei because of the closeouts on the RF1000's. I wanted the Camino in white as I think the design is pure sex:
RF1000_CAMINO_TC-6.jpg

But I searched high and low and everyone was sold out in my size.

One thing about this Shoei - the cheek pads are a bit overpadded for my face. I feel like a little kid getting his lips smashed together by the visiting out-of-town aunt. Hopefully they'll wear in some.
The pads felt like that for me too initially. After a few weeks, they molded to the cheeks nicely. Not too snug at all now.

Great call on the aunt. Exacty what it felt like :)

To the OP: great deal on a superb helmet. You'll be glad you dropped tHe coin.

Scorpio

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
to the op. i wear the same lid, only in blue. i'm very pleased with the helmet. Upgrade to a smoked shield. You'll never go back to the clear one during the day.
Yeah, I ordered a dark smoke shield to go with it. It is great. I bought a mirrored shield for the Vega (Altura, btw - I couldn't remember the model as it wasn't down here earlier), but decided to go with a regular smoked for the Shoei due to it being nearly half the price as the mirrored and I wasn't crazy about all the glare and reflections off of my own face on overcast days with the mirrored either.
I've got one too - love it. I've always had AGV - this is my first Shoei. Mine cost AUS$740 back in August :eek: We pay a lot for things like this in Aus.
Ouch - that's twice what I paid for mine including the extra shield.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I ordered a dark smoke shield to go with it. It is great. I bought a mirrored shield for the Vega (Altura, btw - I couldn't remember the model as it wasn't down here earlier), but decided to go with a regular smoked for the Shoei due to it being nearly half the price as the mirrored and I wasn't crazy about all the glare and reflections off of my own face on overcast days with the mirrored either.

Ouch - that's twice what I paid for mine including the extra shield.
The dark shield was an extra AUS$80!.... Worth it though. :D

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice!!!!!

I'm just about to get an RF-1100 to replace an used HJC which I don't even remember how much I paid for it.

I'll have to try different helmets on and see if the RF-1100 will be the one I'll pick.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my RF1000. Picked it up for CAD399 out of the door in 08. Just got tinted visor for it and love it even more now.