Just bought a used bike...now what?

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I posted a couple things in the past few weeks while I was looking for bikes. Yesterday I pulled the trigger and picked up a used 2007 Blue FZ6 for $3500. Has 11k miles on it but I figure it will be a good first bike for me. I took my friend with me to look at it (he knows alot more about bikes than I do). Between the two of us, we couldn't find anything noticeably wrong. There was a slight tear in the seat, but other than that, absolutely no knicks or scratches anywhere. It looks like the bike has never been laid down. Tires were in pretty good condition and the same with the sprockets and chain. The throttle and levers worked like they should. It also came with a PUIG windscreen and frame sliders, which were a nice bonus because I would have bought those and added them on anyways.

Went for a little ride yesterday with a friend of mine and absolutely love it!

Now my questions are this: What should I do before riding it too much more? I want to make sure it's in the best condition possible from here on out so I can get the most useful life out of it. Here are some of the things I was thinking about doing:

1. New air filter
2. Oil change and replace oil filter
3. Stiffen the rear shock to the max setting (I weigh a hefty 280lbs).

How easy are these things to do and would I be able to do them either by myself or with the help of 1 or 2 other non-mechanics? Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations if there is something I should do that I overlooked.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard! Air filter, I look at and unless you live in a real dusty enviroment, I'd leave it alone. Definetly change the oil and filter to give you a baseline to run on. Also, I'd leave the shock setting alone until you are used to the bike and the adjust as needed. The only other thing I'd say is to remember that EVERYONE out there will trying to KILL you, so be safe! GRUMPY

buckeyethunder

Reaction score
Visit site
The search engine on this site is your best friend.
There are lists of oil filters and everything that you need to
know to get you started.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
I was also considering parking my bike on the street during the summer months. I currently store it in my parents garage (~15-20min drive) but would like to have my bike closer so I can go for a ride whenever. But I live in an apartment and have yet to find any garage space or storage space closer to me.

It seems my only 2 options right now are keeping it 15-20mins away or keeping it outside on the street. What are the drawbacks to keeping it outside during the summer months? How effective are covers during the summer? As far as theft is concerned, are there any devices/measures (besides keeping it in a garage) to help prevent that?

I appreciate all the help everyone has been on this forum! I'm happy to be a part of this group now!

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Those are good ideas, esp oil/filter change.

You might want to add a chain service to the list (clean and lubricate).

Check the brake pads and the brake fluid color.

Coolant change could probably also be done but might be ok for a bit, at least check that the level is good.

Plugs will probably need to be done soon but if it starts/runs ok you can leave that for now.

Might want to have the battery load tested and replace it if it is weak (to avoid getting stranded somewhere or overtaxing the charging system)

Oil, brakes, and coolant are probably the most important. Oil change is really easy if you have a filter cap wrench and make sure you get a new drain plug crushwasher.

At your weight you can try to max out the rear shock spring, but you might find it still has too much sag. It is easy to do, it is in the owners manual. Racetech makes springs for the front and rear should you find you can't get the sag dialed in but that is a much more involved procedure.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok... first welcome to the site :welcome:...

2. find the service manual.. email me if your having trouble @ [email protected] and ill help you get a copy. in it will have all sorts of good and technical info on how to do EVERYTHING to the bike. it will be a great place to learn to adjust the rear shock. i havent the foggiest so your manual is the best bet.

3. change the coolant, oil, check brakes and air filter, clean and lube chain, tire air preasure (might want to post up a pic of the tires if you question wheather they are good or not), lube pivot points (clutch, brake leavers, etc..) possibly lube cables, check brake pads, give it a good wash and wax.. and you should be all set to go.. its a pretty big list, but if you are unsure if some or all of these things have happend from the previous owner/dealer, might as well do them just to be on the safe side..

Welcome to the forum and remember to gear up :thumbup:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
If you buy one of the higher-grade covers (Theyare about $100) it will provide perfect protection from all the elements.

Just wipe the bike down with some detailer after each ride if you have the time to keep it clean before you cover it up. For security you'll want at least a disc-lock and preferably a big chain through the frame and wheels. Something visible should keep the typical thief from bothering it.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=347

http://www.masterlockcycle.com/product_disc3.shtml

http://www.masterlockcycle.com/product_quantum20.shtml

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was also considering parking my bike on the street during the summer months. I currently store it in my parents garage (~15-20min drive) but would like to have my bike closer so I can go for a ride whenever. But I live in an apartment and have yet to find any garage space or storage space closer to me.

It seems my only 2 options right now are keeping it 15-20mins away or keeping it outside on the street. What are the drawbacks to keeping it outside during the summer months? How effective are covers during the summer? As far as theft is concerned, are there any devices/measures (besides keeping it in a garage) to help prevent that?

I appreciate all the help everyone has been on this forum! I'm happy to be a part of this group now!

well.. i would get a good cover like from cover max or something north of 50$.. as for security.. i have a huge thick (like 0 gauge) cable lock and short of someone picking it up to put in a truck, your going to have to work for it.. depending how crimed your area is, you may want to invest into an alarm..

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh almost forgot.. get a battery tender.. i have had the same battery for 5 years and its still at 80% last time i tested it...

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Mancolt... I remember you. We had a spirited discussion on this board about Fz1 vs Fz6 :D

Congratulations on an excellent choice for a bike. Picking up a decent used one is the way to go and I see you got it for a good price. I wish I had held out and gotten the 2007 but the price was too good to pass up on the 2006

Having just bought a used FZ6 myself (2006) a few months back, here is what I would recommend as minimum stuff to do right now:

1) Change all fluids - oil & filter, anitfreeze/coolant flush and fill, brake fluid - change it no matter what color.

2) You already have frame sliders - this is good

3) upgrade that wimpy horn. I found a good low cost alternative to the stebel and can pass on details if you are interested. Basically, dual highway blaster horns.. sounds like a loud car horn and gets cagers attention.

4) Since you have 11k on the clock your chain and sprockets could use a good clean/lube. You can expect quite a bit more life out of them provided you lube them often every 200 or so miles is ideal.

Aside from that, you are good to go and just in time for springtime. If you check around you can find a stock seat for pretty cheap or ride for awhile and consider upgrading.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, what others have said.

I would take sometime (perhaps a few hours) and clean the heck out of it. Go through every inch you can.

Take the seat off (ensure the seat lock is lubed, wires look intact, fuses intact including spares, check the preload for your weight and riding style).

Lift the tank up (ensure things are all plugged in, ensure battery terminals are nice and clean, check air filter, clean everything you can in there and check what ever else you can).

Look under the triple and confirm steering head bearings are good.

Check the fork seals for leaks, bounce the front and ensure it feels firm; perhaps some new fork oil maybe needed (inexpensive).

Clean all around anything that holds fluid (to ensure there are no leaks). The oil drain plug should be shiny silver for example.

Check for any rust and why -- remove it if you can.

As a cleaner, WD-40 is your friend.

Ensure tires seal well and check pressures and ensure they hold.

First few hundreds of miles are test/check miles.

Sounds like a lot of work but it will get you closer to your bike and get you more knowledgeable and you will appreciate/enjoy it more.

Above all enjoy it.

Dennis