Jammed clutch lever pivot

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 09 FZ6 had 31,000 kilometer of milage. Recently I found the clutch lever was a little loose again and the slackness is out of tolerance(10~15mm). I used to extend out the adjustment nut to regain the slackness tolerance. Seeing only several thread available for further adjustment in the nut, I made a study and found the jammed clutch lever pivot will cause the clutch lever to loose. To take care of this problem, all you need to do is take the pivot out, remove and clean the old grease and apply new grease on the pivot. No need to use the adjustment nut and your clutch will be fully engaging when the clutch lever is released.

See the picture(from left to right):
1.clutch level and adjustment nut
2.pivot removed
3.pivot and nut under the pivot
ps:
1.Do not overtighten the pivot nut, it is self-locking.
2.Take care not to break the locating spring for the adjustment nut.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is also a mid cable adjuster (on the inside edge of the left side frame) you can adjust longer when you run out of adjustment at the lever as well..

You'll want to extend it as the inner cable stretches longer with time. Regular maintainance (lube) will extend its life too.. :thumbup:

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is also a mid cable adjuster (on the inside edge of the left side frame) you can adjust longer when you run out of adjustment at the lever as well..

You'll want to extend it as the inner cable stretches longer with time. Regular maintainance (lube) will extend its life too.. :thumbup:

Thanks for reminding me. I will do this soon. The small amount of threads left inside the adjustment nut do no good for the nut itself and make me fearful, as I can see the nut wobble everytime I pull the clutch lever.

Taking care of the jammed pivot is also important. If the condition continues, due to more slip, I believe the clutch is more easily to get hot as the clutch will not return to its fully engagement position after the lever is released.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me. I will do this soon. The small amount of threads left inside the adjustment nut do no good for the nut itself and make me fearful, as I can see the nut wobble everytime I pull the clutch lever.

Taking care of the jammed pivot is also important. If the condition continues, due to more slip, I believe the clutch is more easily to get hot as the clutch will not return to its fully engagement position after the lever is released.

I clean that joint maybe once or twice a year and use Yamaha marine, waterproof grease in there as well. A little bit of grease on the cable barrell end also helps and a quick inspection of that clutch cable end may save you a tow (or a wreck). :thumbup:

BTW, not several weeks ago, someone on an FJR (hydralic clutch) found the clutch lever (which with the FJR has a bushing inside), the bushing was very worn out, almost poking thru the lever itself (no lubrication). The Op was having isues with the clutch NOT FULLY releasing. Someone eventually pointed him in that direction and sure enough, the bushing was pretty much gone and the clutch was NOT fully releasing... A new bushing fixed the problem, nice smooth clutch again...

Last edited:

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
I clean that joint maybe once or twice a year and use Yamaha marine, waterproof grease in there as well. A little bit of grease on the cable barrell end also helps and a quick inspection of that clutch cable end may save you a tow (or a wreck). :thumbup:

BTW, not several weeks ago, someone on an FJR (hydralic clutch) found the clutch lever (which with the FJR has a bushing inside), the bushing was very worn out, almost poking thru the lever itself (no lubrication). The Op was having isues with the clutch NOT FULLY releasing. Someone eventually pointed him in that direction and sure enough, the bushing was pretty much gone and the clutch was NOT fully releasing... A new bushing fixed the problem, nice smooth clutch again...

[/QUOTE

As to the worn out bush you had mentioned for FJR, do you know where I can buy it, because I found my FZ6 has the same problem. I had looked into the part catalogue of YAMAHA website, it seems it is not sold as an individual part, but part of the clutch cable assembly or lever assembly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[/QUOTE

As to the worn out bush you had mentioned for FJR, do you know where I can buy it, because I found my FZ6 has the same problem. I had looked into the part catalogue of YAMAHA website, it seems it is not sold as an individual part, but part of the clutch cable assembly or lever assembly.

If its not listed on the parts fisch separatly, you'll have to buy the entire lever. The bolt that goes thru would likely have some wear on it as well not nearly as bad (steel vs brass).

Glad you found it!

I think your the FIRST to note/post a worn lever pivot here.

As a side note, MANY members change out their levers, so many stock ones are likely available for much cheaper than new. Keep and eye open in the for sale section or post a WTB. Even if someone had a snapped lever, (and the bushing was good), you could knock the bushing out of it, and carefully put it in your lever.

Last edited: