Jacket Safety Material

What material do you prefer your riding jacket to be made of?

• Leather

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • Textile

Votes: 51 43.6%
  • Mesh

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Skin - I'm a Squid

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
squids on this site scarey 2 dri riders 1 nylon r-jay 1 cotton draggen 1 denem draggen havent got around to leather though wouldnt mind

S

sportrider

I voted for leather, but I don't own a leather jacket. I have a textile mesh jacket that has a leather spine protector and from the elbows down. my 1 peice suit is a mix of leather and textile. I'd buy full leathers if I had the money to spend on them but I feel comfortable with the gear I own. and ANY gear is better them none at all!!!:D

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Mesh in the summer and textile all other times. Leather may be more abrasion resistant but I thinke textile is more versatile.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting guys

With the polling numbers going higher, it is a clear indication that leather has met a clear and serious competitor - Mr. Textile. I was lucky to buy a brand new leather jacket off of a clearance rack for just over $100. It has reflecting markers and armor, but more importantly it fits well. If I had not found leather on sale I would definitely bought a textile jacket. With the temps going over 100 F deg. here in Cali, I may just get a textile jacket later on. Cheers.

H

HavBlue

Have Cortech Air with leather and First Gear mesh for the FZ6. Have Unik leather as well as mesh for the Harley. The Cortech Air is the warmest of them all. It has dual removable liners for the various weather conditions. Leather is nice but when it gets cold that stuff gets hard as a brick.

R

Raid The Revenge

This is actually a good poll.

I prefer leather overall -especially aussie flyer.
I can prove Kevlar is better than leather though...

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Fieldsheer top and bottom for me. Seems to work well keeping me warm in the winter and cool in the summer with numerous vents and liners.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Mesh with liners to fit the weather

I have a Tour Master Intake mesh jacke that I really like. It came with a rain liner (also good as a windbreaker on really cold days), and an insulation liner. Either liner can be installed independently or you can put them both in at the same time. On hot days, you can take both liners out and still have the protection of the jacket with pads without the heat.

I live in Florida, so I expect that I'll be wearing just the outer shell in the summer. I'm have the insulating liner installed now. It keeps me warm enough and still lets air through. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Textile Tests???

Has anyone "tested" a textile jacket and pants? I've got a zip together Buell Jacket and Pants. The have pretty good armor and look to be well made. I think First Gear makes it for Buell. While its better blue jeans and a tee shirt how does this stuff compare to leather?

Why Buell you ask?...I know, I know...I had an 1125R on order, bought my gear and then cancelled the order. So I've got Buell Jacket, Pants, Helmet, Gloves and Underroos.

H

HavBlue

can you wash your textile jackets in the washing machine?

I have pulled the armor out of my First gear jacket and washed it in the machine and I have washed it by hand using simple green and the garden hose. I like the simple green method better but it's more work. I haven't had to wash the GX-Air yet but I will probably take the hose to that one too.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually prefer my textile. It is the most versatile of all the jackets I own (and I do own a ton of jackets). I might prefer leather if I had a two-piece suit, but it feels like it tugs in places the textile doesnt.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda glad this poll came out cause I didn't have anything (just got the Z!) until I picked up one of those close-out deals.........."get last yr's. helmet & we'll throw in last yr's closeout jkt. too for $20 extra"! I don't even know what make it is, but it's got 2 reflective eyes on the back, yuk, yuk!
So now I have a jacket w/armour & it's actually pretty good. The lining's out of it already (only 2 weeks old) & I've been looking for something to be able to ride in this inferno area in.........it's closer to the sun than civilization I think!
Anyway, I've communicated w/Vegasrider & he uses a Fieldsheer mesh - guess I'm mesh bound.
Bill
"But it's a dry heat!"

H

HavBlue

I actually prefer my textile. It is the most versatile of all the jackets I own (and I do own a ton of jackets). I might prefer leather if I had a two-piece suit, but it feels like it tugs in places the textile doesnt.

Are you wearing mens or womens jackets?

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you wearing mens or womens jackets?

I can't wear men's jackets, too small for them.

What I mean by "it tugs" is, my leather is a one-piece, and I feel freer in my textile, because they are separate from each other. More versatile for the riding I do, which usually has destinations.