I've done it again...Another Project

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Found a decent deal on a "I need some TLC" 2008 FZ6 the other day and I decided to pull the trigger. I will try to update the thread as I get deeper into the project.

Day 1: Picked up the bike in the pouring rain on Friday. In my haste avoid the imminent downpour and get the bike home, I didn't even check the tire pressure. Needless to say a bad idea; Maybe 15 PSI in each of the tires. A short stop at the local Gas station and I was on my way.

Here she is:

Is this stock or a "Custom" Two-Tone?

Aside for the blatant cosmetic flaws and some warn tires, the bike is actually in great shape. Less than 6K on the clocks; she started easy and purred like a kitten.

My "Plan" is to clean it up, go through the whole bike (Plugs, Air Filter, Fluids, Brakes, Bushings, Bearings, etc..) and replace/repair any necessary items, lose the front fairing, install a FZ1N headlight kit, bring it back to stock, replace the tires, and.... We will see where it goes after the first steps are done ;)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing you'll want to put the stock exhaust back on it; thus I'm willing to consider a trade! :BLAA: Hint hint....

Have Fun!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's in better nick than my 2005, If you really want a project I'll bite the bullet and trade you????????????

Neil:thumbup:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing you'll want to put the stock exhaust back on it; thus I'm willing to consider a trade! :BLAA: Hint hint....

Have Fun!

You are a tad bit late on that front, Two-Bros was gone the day I popped it in the classified section!

It's in better nick than my 2005, If you really want a project I'll bite the bullet and trade you????????????

Neil:thumbup:

Lol, One step at a time! Maybe when this one is up to my standards we can talk ;)

Day 2: The tear down begins...We only had one nice day over the weekend and I didn't want to waste it. As some may have seen, the Two bros Exhaust has been listed in the classified section along with the Power Commander, Harris grips, and Front Headlight Assembly (Two Bros and Headlight have actually already sold). The front fairing, inner panels, mirrors, windscreen, fairing stay, indicators, and Renthal Handlebars will be listed in the next couple days. The fairing has a few scratches on the headlight surround (Moles) that I am going to repair using the method I had previously described here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/39051-how-repair-headlight-mole-07-inexpensive.html.

She's looking good naked! :)

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
So that's where the headlight came from. I was wondering why you were selling a bunch of stuff. Now I know :)

Don't feel bad about the low tire pressure. The last new bike I purchased felt strange when I took it for a test ride. Turns out the shop monkeys forgot to check the tire pressure when getting it ready to sell and it also had about 15 psi in the tires.

Have fun with the project,

Jon...

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That last pic......Wonder how the FZ would look as a chopper:BLAA:

Blasphemy!!

sickooooooooooo!!!!! :blaa:

No need to call names; obviously a typo. He meant to say "Wonder how the FZ would look as a sweet streetfigher". Must have Fat-Fingered it ;)

So that's where the headlight came from. I was wondering why you were selling a bunch of stuff. Now I know :)

Don't feel bad about the low tire pressure. The last new bike I purchased felt strange when I took it for a test ride. Turns out the shop monkeys forgot to check the tire pressure when getting it ready to sell and it also had about 15 psi in the tires.

Have fun with the project,

Jon...

New headlight just showed up yesterday:
$T2eC16dHJGoFFvPOJJ3UBRmu2tmHTQ~~60_35.JPG

Now to start fabricating some brackets!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a few hours after work today so I decided to do a little work on the rear end. I removed the swingarm to inspect, clean, and re-grease all of the bearings & bushings. I wanted to get the rear tire swapped out and the rear wheel cleaned but I didn't have time today...next time I guess.

A few photos:

Something is Missing?

Every FZ6 that I have bought used has looked like this under the countershaft cover; Does anyone clean this area anymore??
Before:

After:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Woah so clean :bow:

If only I had space and the tools, I would clean my Fz more. Take the time to remove the parts and clean em' good. Living in the city has its disadvantages.

My Fz is dirty in places I can't reach and its bothering me :shakehead:

Btw Skooter, where did you get the headlight from? Is it the Fz1 headlight? Are you also getting the small fairings on the side? What was the price. I'd like to switch to the Fz1 headlight at some point. Links in the forum's old threads are mostly dead.

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woah so clean :bow:

If only I had space and the tools, I would clean my Fz more. Take the time to remove the parts and clean em' good. Living in the city has its disadvantages.

My Fz is dirty in places I can't reach and its bothering me :shakehead:

Btw Skooter, where did you get the headlight from? Is it the Fz1 headlight? Are you also getting the small fairings on the side? What was the price. I'd like to switch to the Fz1 headlight at some point. Links in the forum's old threads are mostly dead.

To be honest, it does not take that many tools to disassemble these bikes. A basic set of sockets, wrenches, and Allen keys will get you there.

If I had not removed the swingarm to re-grease the needle bearings, this would have been a 30 Minute job (Remove the Shift Linkage, Remove the countershaft cover, douse with WD-40, use a Medium Bristle Brush to clean off major grunge, Douse with WD-40 again, Wipe down with microfiber cloth, rinse with water, dry, and reassemble). Oh, and I forgot the most important aspect; have a nice cold beverage in hand! ;)

I actually picked up the headlight and side covers from eBay; there are a number of vendors selling them these days. All said and done, the total for the light and covers was around $250. I am going to make the bracket myself so that will save me about $120 from the stock Yamaha Part (Which needs to be modified anyway).

Maybe this is what he meant: Get to da choppa! - YouTube

HHAHAH Awesome!

I hope that is what he meant. If it wasn't what he meant; it is now! :thumbup:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A slight change in Plans; A great condition matching front fairing presented itself early last week so I decided to jump on it. This throws my FZ1N conversion out the window for now but, who's to say that I wont have another project in the next few months? ;)

Fairing arrived while we were out of town over the weekend but I had just enough time to pop it on when we returned last night. Kudos to forum member Triple for the great packing job and excellent condition fairing!

It's coming Along!

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you get your hands on parts so quick? Motorcycle part is a very scarce resource in my world. Too bad about the naked bike look, I was hoping to see another naked Fz6. Your project is starting to look like a spanking new Fz our of the factory.

I have looked at the Fz1 headlight on eBay. Looks like the real thing. How's the quality? I want to switch to the Fz1 headlight but just can't justify another $300 when my current headlight (VS2) is not even 1 yr old. Plus finding a speedo mount and stay will probably be a pita. but do let me know if you want to get rid of the fz1 headlight ;)

I also got a can of wd40. Gonna do some cleaning with it in my underground parking lot.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you get your hands on parts so quick? Motorcycle part is a very scarce resource in my world. Too bad about the naked bike look, I was hoping to see another naked Fz6. Your project is starting to look like a spanking new Fz our of the factory.

I have looked at the Fz1 headlight on eBay. Looks like the real thing. How's the quality? I want to switch to the Fz1 headlight but just can't justify another $300 when my current headlight (VS2) is not even 1 yr old. Plus finding a speedo mount and stay will probably be a pita. but do let me know if you want to get rid of the fz1 headlight ;)

I also got a can of wd40. Gonna do some cleaning with it in my underground parking lot.

Parts shipping can be hit or miss; alot comes with expectations of turn-around times as well. Yamaha OEM Parts (some of which I am still waiting for) usually take a while so I try to order them earliest on in the project. Items like Frame Sliders and Fender Eliminators; I will try to source on eBay using the "Distance: Nearest First" function. Closer the part, faster the delivery...typically.

As for the light; I have had both an actual Yamaha Part (From the first conversion that had done on my first FZ, Photo Attached for reference, and well, so I can show off :thumbup:) and this one off eBay and to be honest, it is difficult to tell the difference between the two. Perhaps not as nice of a finish on the chrome plastic but it cleaned up well with some polish.

It may be up for sale soon too...I will let you know. Perhaps I can lend a hand with the mount fabrication as well.

Reference/Picture Wh**e!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Started to work on the tire swap last night; Nomar Tire changer is by far one of the best purchases I have ever made!

Rear wheel off the bike, Tire Dismounted, Bearings Re-Greased; and finally Cleaned, Polished, Waxed, and ready for the rubber!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A slight change in Plans; A great condition matching front fairing presented itself early last week so I decided to jump on it. This throws my FZ1N conversion out the window for now but, who's to say that I wont have another project in the next few months? ;)

Fairing arrived while we were out of town over the weekend but I had just enough time to pop it on when we returned last night. Kudos to forum member Triple for the great packing job and excellent condition fairing!

It's coming Along!

Looking Good! Keep it up!
PS - when can you come visit? :BLAA: