It's getting hot out there: be careful!

bluremi

Reaction score
Visit site
It's getting hot out there: heat exhaustion

This is a bit of a PSA and a recounting of my horrible experience yesterday in the heat:

Riding home from upstate NY to Queens, it was about 90 degrees and very sunny. The first half of my ride was okay since I was going through the mountains where it's shady and cool. Then I hit the interstate and traffic, on a wide black slab of sun-soaked asphalt. The temperature was 10 degrees higher on the highway, and I was also wearing my black leathers instead of my white ones, since I had expected it to rain all weekend. My perforated leather jacket felt like hot tar on the skin of my arms.

Although I felt very hot up until I reached the bridge leading into the city, I thought I was fine. Then I started getting distracted and making bad decisions. I missed my exit and got off at the next one, and then made a series of further missed exits and navigation mistakes that had me going in slow circles through thick traffic. Meanwhile my driving was getting sloppy; I wasn't shifting gears smoothly and several times missed second gear and slammed into neutral. I also noticed I was panting instead of breathing regularly: I had to breathe rapidly and shallowly in order to feel like I was getting enough oxygen.

In retrospect this was classic heat exhaustion. The correct thing to do is get off the motorcycle immediately and walk into an air-conditioned gas station, where you can hang out for 15-20 minutes and drink some icy water or gatorade. Heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, which is a life-threatening condition. After I got home my skin remained hot and dry and I had a dizzy headache, which I put down to tiredness. I stupidly had a beer to relax after my tiring ride instead of having some water. I finally figured out the problem towards the evening and took a long cold shower and drank a gallon of water, waking up fine the next day.

As we get into the hot depths of summer, take care not to overheat on those longer trips. I leave you with this excellent article by Dave Hough:
Motorcycle Tips: Hot Weather Riding

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Reason #1 that I wear armored mesh pants and jacket in the summer and avoid cities at all costs. :thumbup:

Still, traffic can get any of us and then it doesn't matter what kind of gear you are wearing you will overheat fast!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Similar - yesterday I wound up turning one street too soon on my way to play volleyball - I went about 5 yards up the offramp before I realized it. Hooked a u turn on the grass beside the road and got out of there.

Don't let the heat make you trade safety for comfort, wear your mesh like Fizzer6 suggests!

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
Well at least some people are getting the sunshine, here in the UK we have had 6 or 7 days this summer so far where the sun has shined, Not really hot, the highest we have had is 20*c..

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Well at least some people are getting the sunshine, here in the UK we have had 6 or 7 days this summer so far where the sun has shined, Not really hot, the highest we have had is 20*c..

Same over here in Belgium :(
We did have some (meaning 2) days up to 30°C, so still a bit better than the UK...
But for now, 16°C with rain. And it won't get any better soon :mad:

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: It's getting hot out there: heat exhaustion

This is a bit of a PSA and a recounting of my horrible experience yesterday in the heat:

Riding home from upstate NY to Queens, it was about 90 degrees and very sunny. The first half of my ride was okay since I was going through the mountains where it's shady and cool. Then I hit the interstate and traffic, on a wide black slab of sun-soaked asphalt. The temperature was 10 degrees higher on the highway, and I was also wearing my black leathers instead of my white ones, since I had expected it to rain all weekend. My perforated leather jacket felt like hot tar on the skin of my arms.

Although I felt very hot up until I reached the bridge leading into the city, I thought I was fine. Then I started getting distracted and making bad decisions. I missed my exit and got off at the next one, and then made a series of further missed exits and navigation mistakes that had me going in slow circles through thick traffic. Meanwhile my driving was getting sloppy; I wasn't shifting gears smoothly and several times missed second gear and slammed into neutral. I also noticed I was panting instead of breathing regularly: I had to breathe rapidly and shallowly in order to feel like I was getting enough oxygen.

In retrospect this was classic heat exhaustion. The correct thing to do is get off the motorcycle immediately and walk into an air-conditioned gas station, where you can hang out for 15-20 minutes and drink some icy water or gatorade. Heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, which is a life-threatening condition. After I got home my skin remained hot and dry and I had a dizzy headache, which I put down to tiredness. I stupidly had a beer to relax after my tiring ride instead of having some water. I finally figured out the problem towards the evening and took a long cold shower and drank a gallon of water, waking up fine the next day.

As we get into the hot depths of summer, take care not to overheat on those longer trips. I leave you with this excellent article by Dave Hough:
Motorcycle Tips: Hot Weather Riding

According to some recent study, one beer after a physical activity re-hydrates you faster than the same amount of water. It has to do with the carbonation working it into your system faster, and assuming that it is a low-alcohol content beer, like bud light, there isn't enough alcohol to induce the diuretic effect.

Also, ice cold beverages may not be a wise choice, as you can cool yourself down too fast and go into shock as well.

After that first one all bets are off though. Glad you didn't get hurt!

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
We were in Borrego Springs Sat. and it was 103 F, hot hot hot.
Felt the effects after sitting down in the restaurant, drank plenty of iced tea and put lots of salt on my fry's.
If you are going to travel in hot weather it would be a good idea to carry salt tablets and take one with your water, learned that in scouts about 50+ years ago, now I just need to practice what I preach:spank:

Jerry

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the Chilly Pad towel for the first time, this weekend (was teaching MSF, Saturday and Sunday).
It was in high 90's on the range both days and the towel helped tremendously! It stayed cool for at least an hour before I had to re-wet it. I'm going to start putting around my neck and tucking it into my jacket on hot riding days.

Hydration pack is another great thing to use (can easily take sips while riding).

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the Chilly Pad towel for the first time, this weekend (was teaching MSF, Saturday and Sunday).
It was in high 90's on the range both days and the towel helped tremendously! It stayed cool for at least an hour before I had to re-wet it. I'm going to start putting around my neck and tucking it into my jacket on hot riding days.

Hydration pack is another great thing to use (can easily take sips while riding).
I saw the commercial today and thought about exactly what you did!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The last long run I did was on my old Goldwing, about 2.5 hours to Tampa. Of course that bike has alot of wind protection making it even warmer.

It was in in the mid 90'sF and quite humid (typical in Florida).

I was given a "Silver Eagle Cooling Vest" (too small for my friend) which uses water (after soaking the vest). We rode up without it on, wearing a black mesh jacket, (quite warm and not a fun ride). For the way back, I soaked the jacket as instructed, black mesh jacket on. It was easily 10 degree's F cooler, maybe 15F. It was considerably, MORE COMFORTABLE.

I would have to say to work best, at every gas re-fill, re-soak the jacket for best results.

Kula-XD Cooling Vest (Dry Evaporative Cooling) from Silver Eagle Outfitters

Should you know your doing a LD, HOT TRIP, IMHO, it'd be a very good investment in comfort. You do need to wear a mesh jacket for it to work best or the water evaporates too quick...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The special vests and scarves are fine, but don't underestimate the worth of your plain ol' t-shirt! I was coming home from a camping trip and experiencing some of the same symptoms as the OP; stopped at a Dennie's for a few glasses of iced tea and some ice cream (hit the spot!).
Before leaving I went into the bathroom and soaked my t-shirt under the faucet, put it back on (and gasped a bit, coldcoldcold!), threw my mesh jacket over the top, and it kept me wonderfully cool for about 45 minutes before drying completely (this is high desert here, the cooling effect won't be as great in the deep South or other humid areas, but it'll last longer). Price is right! :thumbup: