It's cold and rainy: what do you wear on your hands?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
When it's *really* cold I wear my heated gloves.
When it's cold+rainy, well.....I dunno............
I have some REI taped mittens that go over the gloves.

They are ok.
They keep out the rain but are hard to put on and limit my dexterity.
I would not want to be on a technical road on in city traffic with them on.....

I was thinking of using NIKWAX glove proof on my heated gloves, but I think any treatment would only be a temporary solution. Eventually water will get in or the NIKWAX will wash off.

Maybe I should try handle bar mitts???

Any ideas?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just my icon gauntlers. But I have a set of those barkbuster stormmasters coming in to help.

Still -30 celcius here though. Couple months out still...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
What I find is really hard in very wet riding is keeping the water from running down the arm into the glove as it is so hard to get any gaulent glove inside my rain gear arm.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I tuck my glove tops inside my sleeves when it is raining hard and also I have a set of Gortes ex army boot liners that come in useful sometimes too for keeping my feet dry

Also there is the old trick of a pair of latex surgical gloves inside your winter gloves for waterproofing and an extra layer.... and a few of them in your pocket never goes amis for roadside repairs without getting grease inside your expensice gloves

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I have these gloves and they've been pretty awesome. Although, I don't have a very long ride to work, and it's not like I've been riding much in the cold now that I bought the new truck. Good thing it's warmed up a little around here so I've been able to ride it a few times in the past few weeks.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I wish there was a definitive way of waterproofing my heated gloves.......
Maybe I'll check out some handle bar mitts.
I might be too claustrophobic to use them..........

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I tuck my glove tops inside my sleeves when it is raining hard and also I have a set of Gortes ex army boot liners that come in useful sometimes too for keeping my feet dry

Also there is the old trick of a pair of latex surgical gloves inside your winter gloves for waterproofing and an extra layer.... and a few of them in your pocket never goes amis for roadside repairs without getting grease inside your expensice gloves

Good idea on taking latex or nitriles with you. I never really thought of that but yeah I've found my self helping out a brother only to have dirty mitts afterward and no place to get em clean.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Alpinestar c1 Windstopper gloves

Picked these up with the rest of my gear because i wanted a sport touring glovethats comfortable and with a hard knuckle. Keeps cold wind out and i think only the bottom leather portion got a little damp when rain riding.

hope that helps! :D

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Alpinestars Apex Drystar(what a name) for winter riding. Keeps my hands very warm, and keeps 'em dry in the rain and fog. Gauntlet type glove helps to keep the cold air from entering the jacket sleeve, which helps overall comfort as well. I haven't ridden in heavy rain, but they worked in the light stuff, as well as dense fog, the kind of fog that leaves your moto looking like it just got rained on. lol Not recommended for temps over 70F though, as they'll get too warm, for me anyways. I rode once in 80F with them on, and man did I wish I had remembered to bring my other gloves that day! Felt like my hands were on fire. lol

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds crazy, but dishwashing gloves. I wear them under my normal riding gloves. Let my normal gloves get wet and the dishwashing gloves do such a good job at keeping my hands warm and dry it doesn't matter if my outer gloves are wet.

I'm not one for "jury rigging" or cheap solutions like this one, but it is honestly one of the best solutions I've found. They cuff comes up a few inches into my jacket and prevents water from running up or down my jacket cuffs.