It's been a while....

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I haven't been on here in a while, but I wanted to drop by with an update.

I traded my '07 FZ6 in last summer on a new BMW R1200RT. While I love the RT for touring (especially loaded down), I really miss my FZ6. The scream and rocket-like power it made at 10K is unforgettable. It was also the most reliable bike I've ever owned (the BMW has been good, but it's not without it's quirks, and is much more $$$ to maintain even when doing the work yourself).

Anyway, someone of you might remember some of the long rides I did on the FZ6, including a few Iron Butt Rides. It looks like several of you have now done these as well. The FZ6 is a great machine for long days in the saddle, and a stock bike is more than capable of surpassing anything the rider can throw at it.

Right after I traded in the FZ6 that I was selected for the 2011 Iron Butt Rally. For those who haven't heard of this crazy event, riders travel over 11,000 miles in 11 days chasing bonus locations all over North America! I'll be riding from Michigan to Seattle for the start of the event in a few weeks, and it ends in Ontario, California on July 1st. Checkpoints are in Buffalo, NY and Jacksonville, FL. All told, I'm expecting to ride over 16,000 miles in about three weeks. Wish me luck! Regular updates will be posted on their website beginning around June 18th at IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

I'm hoping to pick up another FZ6 later this year. This time I'm gonna turn it into a full-on track bike. :rockon:

Here's my former-FZ6 in touring mode. If anyone out there bought this in Canton, Michigan drop me a line!
1pic_red_knot.jpg

Here's my RT on a recent ride around Lake Huron.
stop1_mich.jpg

-Dean

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome back! Nice upgrade too! any idea when you'll be rolling into Buffalo? bout an hr from me heh

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Hit me up when you're in Jacksonville, if it's one of the overnight rest stops. If you hit me up soon enough while you're on the road, I can smoke you something on my grill and bring it to you.

It's bound to be better than the food you'll eat en-route. :D

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome back! Nice upgrade too! any idea when you'll be rolling into Buffalo? bout an hr from me heh

Yup. The checkpoints are all set and I'm finally allowed to talk about them.

I'll be in Buffalo on the evening of June 24th. The checkpoint opens at 5pm and I have to be there by 8pm or start getting penalty points. If I don't arrive by 10pm I'm disqualified from the rally. I plan to arrive between 5 and 7pm. I have a guy (who I've never met) meeting me there to help with a quick oil change. I will be absolutely brainless when I arrive as I will have been riding 18-22 hours per day for 5 days at that point! My plan is to arrive, get scored, grab a bite from the hotel, and sleep. The next leg starts at 4am on the 25th when they hand out the list of bonus locations and start the clock.

It would be cool to see an FZ6 or two in the parking lot! :thumbup: There will be LOTS of ridiculously farkled bikes there (100 riders are allowed in the rally and many others will be there). I'll be wearing a bright yellow Firstgear jacket, light gray helmet, with black riding pants. My bike has a Michigan license plate.

Here's the Buffalo checkpoint address:

Millennium Hotel Buffalo
2040 Walden Avenue
Cheektowaga, NY 14225
(716)681-2400
(800)323-3331

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hit me up when you're in Jacksonville, if it's one of the overnight rest stops. If you hit me up soon enough while you're on the road, I can smoke you something on my grill and bring it to you.

It's bound to be better than the food you'll eat en-route. :D

Assuming I'm still in the rally at that point, I will arrive in Jacksonville on the afternoon of June 27th. I'll be beyond fried mentally at that point. Unfortunately, this stop isn't an over-nighter, although I will be planning to get some sleep as soon as I can get scored and eat something.

The address is:

Ramada Conference Center Jacksonville
3130 Hartley Rd
I-295 and San Jose
Jacksonville, FL 32257 US
904-268-8080

This checkpoint opens at 1pm. Penalty points start at 5pm and I must arrive no later than 7pm. The next leg (jacksonville to California) begins at 10pm (they hand out the bonuses, I take a few hours to try and develop a route, and GO). Since the points are usually a LOT bigger on the last leg, I am planning to arrive my mid-afternoon so I can get some sleep and be ready to plan/ride at 10pm. Arriving too late to get some sleep might mean I end up losing out on some big bonuses during the last leg.

They are supposed to have some food available at the hotel, but I'd certainly be up for a nicer lunch if you happen to drop by with something. I have a room booked in my name at the hotel. :D I also have a phone hooked up on my bike, so I could probably phone up in advance depending on the timing. I won't have enough time to chat with anyone for more than a few minutes, although I'm sure I'll be starving for some human conversation by that point.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. The checkpoints are all set and I'm finally allowed to talk about them.

I'll be in Buffalo on the evening of June 24th. The checkpoint opens at 5pm and I have to be there by 8pm or start getting penalty points. If I don't arrive by 10pm I'm disqualified from the rally. I plan to arrive between 5 and 7pm. I have a guy (who I've never met) meeting me there to help with a quick oil change. I will be absolutely brainless when I arrive as I will have been riding 18-22 hours per day for 5 days at that point! My plan is to arrive, get scored, grab a bite from the hotel, and sleep. The next leg starts at 4am on the 25th when they hand out the list of bonus locations and start the clock.

It would be cool to see an FZ6 or two in the parking lot! :thumbup: There will be LOTS of ridiculously farkled bikes there (100 riders are allowed in the rally and many others will be there). I'll be wearing a bright yellow Firstgear jacket, light gray helmet, with black riding pants. My bike has a Michigan license plate.

Here's the Buffalo checkpoint address:

Millennium Hotel Buffalo
2040 Walden Avenue
Cheektowaga, NY 14225
(716)681-2400
(800)323-3331

Very cool! I plan on having my FZ6 in the driveway by then (haven't bought one yet) but i'll definitely try and make the ride up!