Is This Uneven Idle?

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a total nOOb question and I'm even more ashamed that I didn't find it under the search function but here it goes:

After my 2005 FZ6 warms up and the first bar of the tachometer stops blinking, it idles around 1320. However, it doesn't stay there long at all. It regularly jumps between 1320 to 1380 and slightly less often to 1440. Is this normal?

The changes happen probably about every two seconds. It happens no matter what I set the idle at (keeping it between 1250 and 1350 per the manual). I'm not used to having a digital tachometer like this so it's the first I really thought of it.

This may be totally normal. I'm just wondering.

Thanks!

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a total nOOb question and I'm even more ashamed that I didn't find it under the search function but here it goes:

After my 2005 FZ6 warms up and the first bar of the tachometer stops blinking, it idles around 1320. However, it doesn't stay there long at all. It regularly jumps between 1320 to 1380 and slightly less often to 1440. Is this normal?

The changes happen probably about every two seconds. It happens no matter what I set the idle at (keeping it between 1250 and 1350 per the manual). I'm not used to having a digital tachometer like this so it's the first I really thought of it.

This may be totally normal. I'm just wondering.

Thanks!

Yes it is totally normal. My bike does the same thing. I hear no oscillation in the engine sound yet the tachometer goes back and forth around 60 rpm's. I just assume that this is due to the digital tach not being capable of 1 rpm increments. 60 rpms is 1 rps a pretty fine unit of measure. Analog tach's are not accurate to 60 rpms.

Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 2349

Yep same bike here and same idle...in fact this morning it was 37F and after warning up my idle fell to like 1180...so I ran inside got a driver and turned it back up to the 1380 range...

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is totally normal. My bike does the same thing. I hear no oscillation in the engine sound yet the tachometer goes back and forth around 60 rpm's. I just assume that this is due to the digital tach not being capable of 1 rpm increments. 60 rpms is 1 rps a pretty fine unit of measure. Analog tach's are not accurate to 60 rpms.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. This was exactly my line of thinking. The other day I guess I put a little too much thought into it.

I contacted a shop about the TPS in my bike a while ago when I first got it and they said it's been changed though it doesn't seem to be marked on the forks that it has. I'm taking it into the shop anyway tomorrow to get the front sprocket nut work done and I'll talk to them about it because it still seems to have issues similar to the TPS problem.

Thanks for your help, everyone!:thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the same thing no matter what I do to it.

It's only a problem if it's jumping from 1300 to 1000 or lower/higher. But in between 100rpm's is normal.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, there.
This might be normal.
Mine do samething as any others have.
And...
I have my own DIY project experience about digital tachometer with my old bike which does not have tach.
So, I tried to make my own DIY digital tacho.
And found that tracking RPM less than 1 second is very hard project and difficult to calculate with tiny microcontroller, in my case PIC Microcontroller.
If using couple of cpu calculation is applied, it might go down half or less seconds data calculation.
And less than 30 - 15 rpm accuracy ...
Another issue is that, most of small engine does not keep same RPM for a long time, it usually fluctuate little bit >> just my opinion, do not over-act with it.. ha ha ha

By the way, let me attach my diy dacho sample photos.