Is this something I should be worried about?? Chain rivet..

cugmc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for any help. I am a first time chain driven bike owner. I noticed while cleaning the chain last week that the rivet on the master link was missing part of the 'mushroom.' Is this something I should be worried about? The chain is an EK 530 ZZZ with like a 11,000 lb/ft rating or something. Not sure how old it is though. Looks in decent shape I think otherwise. Thanks.
IMAG2548.jpgIMAG2550.jpg

diddy

Reaction score
Visit site
If the chain is in good condition just buy new masterlink.i definitely would not ride till its replaced the damage it could do does not bear thinking about if it breaks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thx Motogiro! Would that mean just putting in a new master link?

Yes! Just a new master link is all you would need. Unless of course the chain is in bad shape. The new master link should have 4 new "O" or "X" rings. I use molybdenum grease to pack/grease the holes and the pins on the new link. Cyclegear usually has a chain tool on sale for $40. I've used my chain tool on my own and other bikes and it is very worth the money. Keep in mind that you want pressure on the "O" or "X" rings but you don't want to have so much pressure that you bind or tear them. When you swedge the rivet end you'll only need to expand the heads a few thousandths of an inch. I use dial calipers to measure. There are clip type master links but I don't trust them and have heard of them failing more often. :) There are some decent tutorials you can watch on Youtube. Watch a few of the tutorials because not all of them are good on the use of the tools. :)

I found a good video for you....Chain replacement video

Last edited:

cugmc

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a new ml yesterday and put it on last night. A bit of a pain but not too bad. Biggest headache was tightening the axle nut bc the right side kept wanting to slide backward. I finally got it, but i do have a little bit of whine off throttle in gear, below 7k rpm. Otherwise seems good.