Is This A Good Deal?

Rebel_2006

Reaction score
Visit site
For several months now, I have been looking for a solid upgrade from my first bike (2006 Honda Rebel). I really like the look of the FZ6, especially the underseat exhaust. I've been watching my local Craigslist for a few months now, and just this morning I found a beautiful 2008 Yamaha FZ6 with 9,000 miles. It is listed for $3,100. The following is a picture, along with the description of the bike:

2008%2520FZ6.JPG

for sale is my 2008 FZ6-S2 sportbike with 9000 miles and one owner.
Asking $3100 OBO Cash ONLY

Bought the bike in 2009 from Brooks Yamaha in Manhattan with Yamaha Extended Service warranty
Serviced every 1500 miles with synthetic motorcycle oil and a high capasity oil filter
Bike was layed over on grass in my yard No other damage or problems
Modifications:
Handle bar Risers - 1.5"
Tires are Continental Motion front and back- front is 60% back is 90% (replaced in November after I picked up a screw)
K&N filter
Wider windscreen
Stainless steel front brake lines

Bike is vary quick for a non super sport and should not be confused with the newer FZ6R bikes that have no power
Bike is rated at 98 Hp and will easily do interstate all day long
Bike gets 42-45MPG
I used this as my reliable mode of transportation back and forth to see my fence that lives 1.5 hours away it makes for a grate sport touring motorcycle capable of long trips and is a lot of fun when the road gets twisty or state and long. Only reason i am selling this bike is because i am getting married and my fence doesn't like to sit on the back for long trips so it is time for a cruiser

For questions or to look at the bike
please call or txt Van @ seven85 Five3four Two2three7

Sorry no test drives without cash in hand.

Is this a good deal? Are there any main points I should check, when looking at this year of bike? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a very good, fair deal. There were no particular issues with that bike. Find an on-line guide on how to shop for a used motorcycle and just used that for general reference.

My only concern is that he lives 1.5 hours away from his "fence". That does not make for a very effective fence. :rof:

Sorry.. couldn't help it.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like a heck of a deal! 9k miles is nothing for this bike:thumbup:
"Fence"...:rof::rof::rof::rof:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Just because everyone is saying " good deal " (which it is) doesn't mean you should go there and offer him 3100 -

NEGOTIATE!!! Buying things for the listed price is an American construct, and if he wants to sell it, he'll work with you!

I'll echo reading about how to buy a bike, there are tons of guides out there - look at all of the trouble spots, check fluids, ask for maintenance records - even if the front tire is @ 60%, that's grounds for negotiation.

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
Great deal if it's actually in good condition, especially since he said OBO.

I could easily sell that bike here for $3,500+.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just one other thing I'd add.. bring a friend.. or two! Lots of horror stories out there when it comes to craigslist.

Rebel_2006

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and advice. The guy is about 1.5 hours away from me, so first I'm going to ask for a few more photos. The main thing I'm concerned about is the fact that he stated, "Bike was layed over on grass in my yard No other damage or problems". I'm not sure exactly what he is trying to say by that, so I'd like to see the other side of the bike, before I travel all that way. The only other concern of mine is that he mentions, "Handle bar Risers - 1.5", is this typically considered a good modification, or no? I've sat on a stock FZ6 at my local dealer, and I really liked the riding position. Will this mod be a major change, or not? Thanks for all the help so far!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Risers can come right off if you don't like them and even sell them.
Be careful moving from a rebel to the FZ6. The power will straight up scare the crap out of you at first. The rebel is exceptionally slow. I rode one and it even made my ninja 250 feel fast. Good luck finding your fence!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful moving from a rebel to the FZ6. The power will straight up scare the crap out of you at first. The rebel is exceptionally slow. I rode one and it even made my ninja 250 feel fast. Good luck finding your fence!

I ride a Rebel just about every other weekend (MSF) .. it's always *interesting* getting on FZ1 after Rebel :eek:

Helvete

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a very good deal, it's cheaper in dollars than I paid for mine in GBP (that one is a bit older and more miles though)! Don't hang about, I can't imagine it'll stay up for sale long.

Oh, and with the dropping in on the grass (I think that was what he was saying), I wouldn't worry too much, I dropped mine on soggy, wet grass in the winter and apart from a bit of mud on the crash bung, not a single mark or scratch.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
I queshtun his multiple spelling misstakes.

Other than that, it looks like a great deal.

Same thing here. When people spell that badly, I'm usually wary of it. Generally, people don't spell that bad even if they aren't high school graduates.

I'd call the guy and make sure he has the title.

Rebel_2006

Reaction score
Visit site
After attempting to contact him for the past 2 days, it looks as if someone else must've got the bike before me. The Craigslist ad has since been removed. I guess I'll just keep browsing my local Craigslist, until another good deal comes by. Thanks all for the help, I'll be back on here if I spot another great deal.