Is This a Good Deal?

Rebel_2006

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been watching this 2006 Yamaha FZ6 on my local Craigslist for close to 3 months now. Obviously the guy is having a hard time selling the bike. He just dropped the price of the motorcycle today. The bike has 11,000 miles on it and he says that both the engine and the bike as a whole are in great condition. If I got this bike for $2,300 would this be a good deal? I know this is the year before all the updates to the FZ6, but it just seems like a really great deal to me. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated- Thanks!

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's as nice as he claims/it looks, and depending on where you're located, that's a hell of a deal. I have more miles on mine (same year, a few mods too) and have it listed for almost 700 more. I say jump on it!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Is $2,300 his asking price, or your offer?

If that's his asking price, and he's still got it, be worried. Namely be worried that it's got a salvage/recon title. That would be a pretty damn good price if it's got a clear title.

Rebel_2006

Reaction score
Visit site
Is $2,300 his asking price, or your offer?
He's got the FZ6 listed for $2,700. I talked to him a few months ago (when he first posted it) and he says it's got a clean and clear title. The motorcycle runs like brand new and the bike has never been down. The only downside he's told me is that the battery may need to be replaced sooner rather than later. Here's another picture:

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you'll need to replace the tires too. Ask him when the tires were installed and about how many miles and years are on them?

$2300 seems like a fair price. But check the title for sure as fb40dash5 said.

And keep in mind, it is the faster red version. :BLAA:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
He's got the FZ6 listed for $2,700. I talked to him a few months ago (when he first posted it) and he says it's got a clean and clear title. The motorcycle runs like brand new and the bike has never been down. The only downside he's told me is that the battery may need to be replaced sooner rather than later. Here's another picture:

Yeah, the guy I bought my salvage titled bike from said it had a clean title too. He said he didn't know the big red box with "SALVAGED RECONSTRUCTED" in big bold letters meant it didn't have a clean title. :rolleyes:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
see if you can contact the DMV title bureau for the state you live in.

When I bought my bike from some dude in Texas I never was told that it was a repo. I got a great price but paid for it in inconvenience.

The NY DMV made it very difficult to get a titled in my name but eventually it got solved.

Had I did some homework I would have known this before buying it and probably would have walked away as hindsight is always 20/20

Rebel_2006

Reaction score
Visit site
He countered my offer, so I've gone up to $2,550. I told him that is my best offer. As I previously stated, I've talked to this guy earlier about the FZ6 and I believe it to have a clear title (although I will definitely make sure if he accepts). He also just told me in his last email that the tag light is out. I would think this would be a fairly easy fix, but if not please do tell. Thanks again guys and keep the advice coming! Another picture:

mikeshungry

Reaction score
Visit site
if you cant get it for 24 walk away, those tires are square so tell him you'll need tires and possibly a hundred to fix the tail, id shoot for $2300.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
if you cant get it for 24 walk away, those tires are square so tell him you'll need tires and possibly a hundred to fix the tail, id shoot for $2300.

Holy crap I didn't notice that before, those tires are ridiculously square. You'll probably spend around 300 for new tires (at least I did last year, got road pilot II's) I would ask him if he did big smokey burnouts to get them like that. Damn.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Might be the most squared off tires i've ever seen, almost as bad as those Cruisers with car tires on them. Either he was using it just to do burnouts in his driveway to impress friends or he has some skills, idk how he used it in that condition!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
as everyone as pointed to the square tires and how bad they are, it is also an indication of his riding style and possibly how he cared for the bike. I can't speak for everyone here, but I would have changed my tires long before it reached that condition....

So take everything he says with a grain of salt, it is hard to stay focused on something you want really bad....

Reaction score
Visit site
Also check the condition of the chain & sprockets. It may be my eyesight and/or the picture, but is that chain dry?
When i see a tire that is abused like that, if raises questions on the overall care that the bike has received.