Is there a solution for jerky delayed throttle response??

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
So i lubed my cables and my throttle feels great and returns on its own no problem. When im going and shifting it feels like there is nothing wrong with it. BUT occasionally when rolling on the throttle slowly it will hesitate and then yank. :confused:

For example if im rolling to a stop light, im almost stopped i put my foot down and drop it to first. Then light turns green before i fully put my foot down. So i let off the clutch slowly and fully. I roll on the throttle lightly and nothing happens for a split second i hold the light roll on the throttle without increasing it and then suddenly the bike gets power and tries to yank away from me. :eek:

I hope i explained this well. So my question is, is it possible to fix this issue?? I dont remember my other bike having this issue ninja zx6r but i also didnt ride it that much in two weeks so maybe i never noticed it. :rolleyes:

I was thinking maybe my tps sensor needs to be replaced. I will try disconnecting the battery to see if a ecu reset helps at all but i was hoping getting a fuel injected bike the throttle would have smooth delivery :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The older FZ6 seemed to be prone to that complaint. There was a recall on the 05 and you should be able to find out from a Yamaha dealer whether your bike had it's TPS replaced per the serial number on your bike. If there is the possibility of adjustment it may be out of adjustment and there is a diagnostic mode you can put the readout in that can show if it's not linear.

The FZ6 has always, regardless of year had some complaint with throttle response but I believe that it can be corrected.

Also I've been working on an exhaust for your bike! :BLAA: When you get over this way again we can take a look at the TPS.

Last edited:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
The older FZ6 seemed to be prone to that complaint. There was a recall on the 05 and you should be able to find out from a Yamaha dealer whether your bike had it's TPS replaced per the serial number on your bike. If there is the possibility of adjustment it may be out of adjustment and there is a diagnostic mode you can put the readout in that can show if it's not linear.

The FZ6 has always, regardless of year had some complaint with throttle response but I believe that it can be corrected.

Also I've been working on an exhaust for your bike! :BLAA: When you get over this way again we can take a look at the TPS.

EXCELLENT!!! im super excited to get a good tone on the bike :rockon: Dont forget to take pics ;)

Hey cliff, what yamaha dealer do you go to?? I want to go and see if my recall was fixed or not :Flash: There has to be a fix somewhere :cheer: maybe you can ride it around and tell me if its normal hahaha

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
EXCELLENT!!! im super excited to get a good tone on the bike :rockon: Dont forget to take pics ;)

Hey cliff, what yamaha dealer do you go to?? I want to go and see if my recall was fixed or not :Flash: There has to be a fix somewhere :cheer: maybe you can ride it around and tell me if its normal hahaha

I am taking pics.. I don't have a specific dealer. Just pick a Yamaha dealer close to you. They should be privy to a data base that has the records of the serviced bikes. Yup I can ride your bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the NHTSA site (you can call):

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

Make: YAMAHA Model: FZS600
Model Year: 2005
Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 15, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V360000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Summary:
YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN OCTOBER 2004 AND APRIL 2005. THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR CAN FAIL.
Consequence:
FAILURE OF THE THROTTLE POSITION COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 7, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-714-761-7300.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to go and see if my recall was fixed or not

You might just take a close look at the screws holding the TPS in place. From the factory the parts are usually marked with bright yellow paint over the head of the screw and onto the TPS body.

If your TPS was replaced, it likely doesn't have the paint mark on it.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
You might just take a close look at the screws holding the TPS in place. From the factory the parts are usually marked with bright yellow paint over the head of the screw and onto the TPS body.

If your TPS was replaced, it likely doesn't have the paint mark on it.
Good idea, i just have to figure out where the tps is mounted :confused:. Once i get home i think i could find it.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering about throttle response
I have the 2009 FZ6S2 which is supposed to have the sorted fuel map from the earlier versions.

If I go into a corner on a closed throttle- I try not to but you know........ opening the throttle invokes a jerk from the bike as the petrol hits the plugs and away we go again

Would a power commander fix this? there is even a cheap replica of a PC on Ebay for about £30 that I thought I might try now that my bike is out of Yamaha guarantee

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
"20hp gained LOL: So I have been experience really bad hand cramps and outside palm pains from 30 min rides lately. So i bought the FZ6R bars to alleviate the pain. Taking off my old grips my throttle grip slid off very easily with a bunch of goop under and inside of it..................So guess what, this WHOLE TIME I have been riding my bike the throttle grip has been slipping slightly. I never noticed it because it was a slight slip on stops releasing the throttle and braking, and im a new rider so i wasnt sure what its supposed to feel like (i thought it was throttle slack). Also on starts from stop lights but only when it was hot so on the rides home from work.

Anyways i took off the grips and cleaned them with wd40 and then put them back on with extra hold hair spray. HOLY MOLY what a difference. It feels like a completely new bike. Lots of power, starts are easy. Seems to have solved my jerky throttle issue when shifting, I can now starts on hills no problem because the throttle actually responds to my minimal wrist movement......

It really does feel like i got 20hp on the bike!!!! Before when i would give it gas it felt like i had to really twist it to go anywhere (which i did). Now it responds and responds well, very happy with the power of this bad boy."

FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER THREAD COULD IT BE SOMETHING THIS SIMPLE?..IM GONNA TAKE MINE OFF AND CHECK THEM

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea dude i started this thread lol. Take off your grips and clean all the goop off then use a tiny bit of hair spray. Slide it back on and let it dry in the sun for about 30 min. Might solve your problem :)

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have horrid throttle response on my 07 when opening the throttle at the apex if a turn after decelerating at closed throttle. Kinda scary when the motor surges like that when you have the bike leaned over pretty good in a turn.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem is fuel cut. On all fuel injected vehicles the injectors cut off when the throttle is close. When the throttle is reopened it takes a moment for the intake runner to re-wet, that causes the hesitation.

Two solutions:

1) get a Power Commander, remove the O2 sensor and get a tune

2) get the ECU reflashed. This will program out the fuel cut and get you a better performing map.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks- so I can get fuel injection that feels like carbs- brilliant- excuse my ignorance but how do you re-flash an ECU?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks- so I can get fuel injection that feels like carbs- brilliant- excuse my ignorance but how do you re-flash an ECU?

Until recently Yamaha ECUs could not be reflashed. Google ECUnleashed, or Dynotronics, both places can reflash the ECU for you.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

soundgarden

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep thats pretty common with the fizzer...throttle response is pretty bad. Mine has gotten better since I got it dyno tuned