Is there a GPS for bikes?

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I was wondering if there is any sort of GPS that is mountable (and looks good) on a FZ6?

I've got a TomTom Rider. It does the job really well for me.
I know that the Garmin Zumo (i think that's what it's called) Is another option, that has some more features such as mp3 playback.
A popular option is a phone GPS, or normal car satnav in a tank bag. It's loads cheaper

Cheers
Mark

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike specific GPS's are very expensive in comparison with the normal car ones. You can get a mount to put a normal car one on a bike for a couple of pounds off eBay which is what I ended up doing.

My first attempt was :-
Hux's Bike Blog: Show me the way to go home

And I ended up with :-

Hux's Bike Blog: GPS... mark II

I'd try the cheap option first and see how you get on. You can then blow the rest of the money you save on other mods for your bike ;)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I 2nd going with a 'regular' GPS. Way less expensive and you cen even get water proof boxes from RAM Mounts for about $70 to seal them in so they are protected from rain and the elements, yet are still usable!

I use a Garmin Nuvi 260W

Handlebar Mounted
DSCF4807.JPG

Mirror Stalk Mounted
dscf5091-0.jpg

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Ram mount for my Garmin Nuvi 255W, an SAE to Cigar plug to connect to my battery tender pigtail that is permanently mounted to the battery and an extra power cord for the Garmin and just move the car GPS back and forth. I can go about 2 hours on battery before I have to pull the power cord out of my saddle bag and power it up.

The Nuvi model is the wider 4.3" wide so it's easier to see and use and is relatively inexpensive. And, it's thin enough that I can take it off the mount when I leave the bike for any reason and easily put in in the back pocket of my jeans. I Bought everything online between Ebay, The Mount Guys and PCRush

Because of the big Yamaha logo handlebar cap I had to mount it to the left of the cap just on the handlebar bend but it's stable and secure. No vibrations, easy to read and I can move around on it with gloves on. It's not waterproof, but except for a deluge the windshield seems to keep it pretty dry.

I love it!!! I can go out for an afternoon and get "lost". Ride to places that I have never been to, down roads I have no idea where they come out and know that at the end of the day I just hit " go home" and set it for either highways or no highways and it finds me the best route home.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tom Tom Rider 2 and Gamin Zumo 550 and 660 are the three most popular.

I have a RAM mount with the Aquabox and currently use the Nuvi 765T but will be buying a Zumo 660 next spring if the bonus payout at work is as promising as it looks right now. :D

My issue with the 765T is this: It will not sync with the Scala Q2 headset so I can only hear GPS through FM transmission. Fine until I am riding with the wife and we are talking BT from bike to bike... because BT comm is a higher priority than the FM transmission. BT GPS is a higher priority than the COMM so Zumo is my answer (Tested this with my boss' Zumo).

The 765T will be relegated to the cages. :D

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com
I 2nd going with a 'regular' GPS. Way less expensive and you cen even get water proof boxes from RAM Mounts for about $70 to seal them in so they are protected from rain and the elements, yet are still usable!

I use a Garmin Nuvi 260W

Handlebar Mounted
DSCF4807.JPG

Mirror Stalk Mounted
dscf5091-0.jpg
Cool mounting!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Garmin Street pilot III that I move from bike to bike when on a road trip.. All bikes hardwired, custom bracket made/bolted to the bar risers for a lockable touratec GPS mount....

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com
OK, Lot of people use normal car GPS on your bikes, that´s great, but don´t those have a charger that is made to fit car electric lighters? How do you recharge the battery on the go? :confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, Lot of people use normal car GPS on your bikes, that´s great, but don´t those have a charger that is made to fit car electric lighters? How do you recharge the battery on the go? :confused:

There's a standard cig lighter size and a BMW style (a little smaller). Just wire either up to your bike/battery. Make sure it has an in line fuse somewhere... Using an standard cig size, I'd get something marine duty (stainless steel) so you don't have rust issues, the BMW stlye outlets are designed for bikes and are less likely to come out on their own by vibrations/etc....

I have a separate line (pig tail) direct wired to the running light wire on the left ft directional. It only has power when the ignition is on.... I also have a separate BMW style outlet wired direct to the battery for battery chargers, electric clothes, air pump, etc....

Scott

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a TomTom one (V2) which although isn't a bike GPS i.e. waterproof, is available for less than $100 refurbished so if it does rain (I live in Texas so it is an IF) and I can't get it in my pocket (or ziploc bag) fast enough to save it then I'll just buy another !!.

I installed a powerlet socket on the front fairing and then bought a RAM mount for the GPS. I use the same socket for my battery tender and for my tire compressor.

One thing I find useful about the GPS is that when you are approaching a bend you can "see" round the bend and see how tight it is and where the road goes after the bend.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 and RAM mount on my bike. The 500 has a long life battery but I use a power cord that attaches to the battery and has a mini-USB plug on the other end. It's supposed to be waterproof but I have not tested that yet. My only concern is the amount of vibration I can feel if I touch the GPS while riding. Over time I am concerned it may cause some internal connections to come undone. Time will tell.

You can't tell from the angle of the photos but the GPS sits just below the line of sight to the instrument panel. It's easy to glance at it while riding. However, when sunlight is on the screen, it becomes all but impossible to read even with the brightness set to 100%.

Tim

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com

There's a standard cig lighter size and a BMW style (a little smaller). Just wire either up to your bike/battery. Make sure it has an in line fuse somewhere... Using an standard cig size, I'd get something marine duty (stainless steel) so you don't have rust issues, the BMW stlye outlets are designed for bikes and are less likely to come out on their own by vibrations/etc....

I have a separate line (pig tail) direct wired to the running light wire on the left ft directional. It only has power when the ignition is on.... I also have a separate BMW style outlet wired direct to the battery for battery chargers, electric clothes, air pump, etc....

Scott

I think we have the new MacGyver! :rockon: