is the fz6 for me?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
hey guys (and maybe girls),

well, the eye never has enough of seeing...

i currently have an 83 GL650 Interstate Silverwing... just like this one right here.
photo.jpg

i am toying with selling it and getting something new. and at the top of my list right now is a fz6. but before i make this move i have a number of questions. i've been lurking here and see snippets of answers to my questions but not fully to my liking. so there are repeats of things that have been covered i'm sorry. but i have looked and searched.

i'll start with the likes and dislikes of my bike to give you an idea of where i'm coming from.

likes (in no particular order)
- upright/standard seating position
- good gas milage (about 50mpg)
- fairing for wind protection for colder temps
- fairly easy to work on
- reputation for having a great engine
- with the bags and trunk i can pack up for a week and take a trip
- when in working order it's pretty low maintenance (specifically the shaft drive)
- has just about the perfect amount of power

dislikes
- heavy (over 600 lbs wet)
- old enough that it seems like there is always something wrong with it
- sits a little high (i'm a shorter fella [5'8"ish] with a short inseam)
- very top heavy
- hard to find parts for

as you can see, there are a lot of likes and only a few dislikes. but those dislikes are winning out. a heavy bike that i can't flatfoot becomes a strongman competition. and right now i can't ride it because i'm trying to track down why i don't have any electric.

before this post gets too long, i'm going to call a break here and pick up with post number 2 on this site for me.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
so i'm at the point that i'm looking around. i went yesterday to the stealership and sat on some bikes. there are a few cruisers that were ok. but the bike that really caught my eye was the fz6. i've been eyeing it for probably the past year of riding. as i said, i'm short so getting my leg over top of it wasn't the easiest thing i've ever done, but it wasn't bad when i finally got on it. i couldn't flat foot it, but i was better than what i can currently do with my silverwing. and the bike is much lighter so i felt like i could be more in control and not feel like i'm in a strongman competition.

so with that background, i have some questions if you don't mind.

- as i said, i really like the standard seating position. my current bike is like sitting on a chair. the fz6 felt good, but i would really like to bring the bars back about 2 inches. i know i can get risers for this. but is there enough slack in the cables for this or once i start bringing my bars up and back an i going to need to be looking for new lines?
also for guys that have come from a truly standard bike before the fz6, how do your legs feel? i'm wondering if they'll feel a little cramped.

- i like to feel the wind (i normally leave my windshield off my fairing), yet my fairing is really nice when it's cold. when i look at the fairing on the fz6 i wonder how good of a job it will do on those cold mornings. i like to ride pretty much year round. my main riding is a 20 mile commute each way but i go on maybe 4 or so multi-hundred mile trips a year.

- what can be done to lower the fz6? and how low? and how much does it cost? i've seen the sticky where the guy shaved some of his seat. that's not bad, but i wonder how that does for longer trips. i assume you can drop the forks maybe an inch in the trees? what about the rear end? is this buying a different shock? how much do they run? and how does lowering affect the handling of the bike?

- what sorta gas milage are you guys getting? i have seen anything from 40 on the yamaha site to 60 on some craigslist adds. what are you getting in the real world?

- do any of you actually use them for a "touring" bike? i'd be interested in hard luggage that can be locked up. i've seen some on pics of bikes. how much would something like that run me? i'm talking a trunk and side bags. and if anyone has something like that, how has that affected your gas milage?

- how many miles do you get out of a set of tires and how much are they to replace?

- does the fz6 have a center stand? if not, how much is one and is it easy to install?

- how user friendly are these bikes? i will be buying used so i won't be getting a maintenance agreement. i like to do my own oil changes and basic maintenance. is that possible or do i need to be a rocket scientist to work on these bikes?

- i know this is a loaded question on a forum dedicated to these bikes but i have to ask. my bike was built when things were meant to last and be worked on. the fz6 is built during a time when we are a throw away society. in some ways the fz6 feels a little "cheaper" than my silverwing. is it a bike that will last with proper maintenance? what sorta life are you guys expecting to get out of your bikes?

- being that the bike is much lighter, how does it do on the interstate with bike trucks going by? or in large gusts of wind?

i know that's a lot of questions, and i'm sure i'll think of more. any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. i do like my current bike, but it's frustrating me right now. and i really think it needs to be owned by someone who has more time and know how than i do. but i don't want to be so frustrated right now that i make a purchase that i regret in a few months.

again, thanks. i look forward to reading what you guys have to say.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
two more questions

- what does insurance run you guys?

- is one year better than the other? i notice some have silver frames and engines and some have black. are they all the same bike or have there been changes that are good or bad through the years?

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to go into work and don't have time to address all of your questions, but here is what I will say.

There are several people you do use the fz for touring and quite well. There are many options for locking hard luggage and you will pend about $800-$1000

the half fairing does a really god job at blocking half of the wind. If you are pretty pleased with the wind protection of that battleship that your ride, you are going to be pretty disapointed with the fz wind protection. You can buy lowers for it and improve this some, but it will cost you about a $800

The stock seat is pretty uncomfortable and there are several options to replace but they cost about $300.

Don't get me wrong, I love my fz and everyone on this forum loves this little bike, but from what you have said, you would be hard pressed to justify modding an fz to the spec that would suit your needs instead of just buying a bmw f800st or a triumph sprint. I know these are more expensive, but by the time you got done modding you would have spent more than the difference.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First off :welcome::welcome:!!!!

I also came from a Honda V Twin, a 1981 CX500C. My thoughts on the CX/GL series pretty much echoed yours. That being said, I love my FZ6!! At times I miss the throaty sound of that 80 degree twin, but the FZ6 has much more useable power at similar fuel economy(40-55 mpg under most situations).

As for stability in the wind, I find the bikes similar. Wind protection will be less than your SilverWing. A taller windscreen would be a good option, there are many after market companies, Puig and CalSci are two that seem to pop up here fairly often.

As for insurance, I pay $122 a year for full coverage. As for the years, I like the gauges of the '07 and newer bikes. The analog tach is much easier to read than the earlier digital ones. Coming from a full analog bike like yours, it took some getting used to the digital speedo. The '07 and newer bikes also have a revised EFI mapping. I noticed a difference on the test rides, the '07 was much smoother when rolling on the throttle. But it is not enough of a difference to pass up a well cared for older model, as all seem to be very reliable. You will miss the shaft drive though.:(

I do use mine as a touring bike, I have some MotoPak soft luggage that works very well. The bike has handled everything I have thrown at it with exceptional candor. I would not hesitate to do long distance touring on this bike. Power is a non issue, it will have about 35-40 more HP than the GL650. And honestly, I never really found my CX500 lacking power.

The FZ6 does have a center stand. As for longevity, there are people here with over 60,000 miles on their bikes. Issues are very rare. With proper care, this bike should last 100,000 miles fairly easily.

I hope this info helps, the GL650 was a nice bike in its time. The fact that so many are still around says alot for their durability. I regret selling my CX, but I also love the FZ6. But honestly, if I had a SilverWing, I do not know if I could have parted with it, they are very cool bikes. But if you are tired of it, moving on may save some frustration. Especially if the stator is starting to get flaky!:D

I hope this helps, if you need more info, just let me know!

I hope this

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, as for not having any electric power, check the connections that come off the stator, it is very common for them to corrode and not charge the battery and provide power. These are located under the seat right behind the tank. The battery ground is also known for corroding at the frame and having a poor connection.

If you are still having issues, I would suspect the stator is bad, a very common problem on the CX/GL twins. The engine has to come out of the frame, but it really is not that hard of a job. If you have to do this, it makes sense to replace the water pump "mechanical seal", timing chain and tensioners, and the shift fork seal. This can easily be done in a day.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I'll respond to the parts that I can.

Luggage: I've got a givi top case and side cases. If you shop around and don't mind used, you can find cases for less than retail. I got my top case that way (ebay), for far less than retail -- about $60 for a very nice case. I then went to online retailers for the top and side case racks and the side bags. I think that I paid about $350 for those three pieces. So I paid far less than our other member suggested. YMMV

Touring: lol. I have yet to find the time to get out for a tour-type of ride. But that's my desire. I don't have the largest array of cases, but I think it's enough to do a little touring.

Maintenance: very easy. Oil changes are super simple (yeah, you'll want to do the foil on the exhaust trick to direct the flow of oil from your drain plug to the pan...) It's a little bit of a PITA to get to the battery and air filter, but not a deal breaker.

Insurance: One's age may be (will likely be?) a factor here. I'm 47. I think that I'm paying just a bit over $200/year.

Mileage: Depends on riding style. If I cruise the freeway at 65 then it's close to 50. If I ride it like I normally do (cruising the freeway at 75-85) then it's more like 40.

Wind screen: I'm 6'. The stock wind screen put the blast right on my chin/upper chest. I got a puig double bubble. It's only marginally better but looks a little better. IMHO. The cal sci screen comes in a much taller size, but I think they're too ugly. Since you're on the shorter side, the stock screen may actually work ok. Your legs will get much more wind on them than on your 'wing. I've no experience with purchasing the fairing lowers.

Tires: I replace them when I need to and that mileage number will vary. I replaced the stock set at around 6k because the center was flat on the rear tire. Prices vary, too. I think I paid just shy of $300 with mounting costs.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Believe it or not, all your answers can be found if you use the search tab.

Mileage, tires, wind protection, seat height, etc. There are so many threads related to your questions that it will keep you busy reading for the next week.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My comments:
* I personally wouldn't buy a bike I couldn't flat foot. A 6'1", I can easily flat foot this. Lots of riders can't flat foot it and it's not a showstopper for them. It's common enough that I'm a bit off balance that I'm glad I have that leverage.
* Bar risers: The front brake hose is long enough to just barely support a 1" up and 1" back riser. You won't be able to get 2" back without redoing that hose somehow.
* Wind gusts. This last week in CA it was very windy. The bike pretty much kept its line but leaned over at times, and it was disconverting. In very high winds, I've had it blow me off course a foot or so. Tucking behind my screen largely reduces the issue, but that's uncomfortable and not a long-range solution. As to riding in normal conditions, wind blast from trucks is not an issue. You feel them buffet you, but it doesn't affect the ride at all. I found that putting a large touring-style windscreen on greatly reduced buffeting. I found the stock screen and the Puig screens worthless. Wind blast was significant and tiring. With a huge screen, it's quite pleasant.
* I just completed my first tour for it, for about 800 miles. Worked great for me. I have no experience in this, so hard to say how it serves compared to other bikes. I have a 46L top case, plus CoreTech saddle and tail bag, so four luggage compartments total. Easy to carry five days of gear with plenty of room to spare. Highway rpms never bothered me. Top case and mounting accessories: $350; Coretech saddlebag + tailbag: $150.
* Mileage: 43mpg almost no matter what.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
...There are many options for locking hard luggage and you will pend about $800-$1000.
hmmm, that's a little more than i was hoping for. not a deal breaker, but dang.

the half fairing does a really god job at blocking half of the wind. If you are pretty pleased with the wind protection of that battleship that your ride, you are going to be pretty disapointed with the fz wind protection. You can buy lowers for it and improve this some, but it will cost you about a $800.
first, thanks for mentioning the lowers. knowing that there were some out there caused me to waste all sorts of time today researching them. about my fairing... i leave the glass off and still wish i could get more wind. i like some protection, but i don't like to be shielded. i've seen on here where people have taller shields and where people have put handguards on. i think those two things would suit me fine.

The stock seat is pretty uncomfortable and there are several options to replace but they cost about $300.
do any bikes come stock with comfy seat? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love my fz and everyone on this forum loves this little bike, but from what you have said, you would be hard pressed to justify modding an fz to the spec that would suit your needs instead of just buying a bmw f800st or a triumph sprint. I know these are more expensive, but by the time you got done modding you would have spent more than the difference.
thanks for an honest reply. it has helped me think through some things. honestly, i'd love to get an f800st but i don't have the cash. i'm going to have to go on the used market with $4500.00 being my absolute max. i'd like to set closer to $4000.00

First off :welcome::welcome:!!!!
thanks. appreciate it.

I also came from a Honda V Twin, a 1981 CX500C. My thoughts on the CX/GL series pretty much echoed yours. That being said, I love my FZ6!! At times I miss the throaty sound of that 80 degree twin, but the FZ6 has much more useable power at similar fuel economy(40-55 mpg under most situations).
i'm glad there's someone on here who has experience with these bikes. i actually have a 1980 custom next to my gl650 that i bought as a project bike. i'd still like to get it running. maybe i can if my primary bike is actually one that won't need a lot of tinkering.
and that fule economy is big. i've gotten spoiled with 50mpg.

As for stability ... Wind protection will be less than your SilverWing. ...
as i said to the previous reply... i actually want less. if i were to keep my silverwing i would take the fairing off for most of the year and just put it on during the winter months. and that's really the only thing i'm worried about with the fz6. i'm just unsure of how cold i'd be able to ride with it. as i said, i think putting on handguards will help a lot. and it's good to know that even though i'll be losing about 200lbs of bike, it should still hold it's own.

As for insurance, I pay $122 a year for full coverage.
holy mackerel... that's much better than i was expecting. i pay a little less than $100.00 for basic on my silverwing. i might have to do some shopping around.

As for the years, I like the gauges of the '07 and newer bikes. The analog tach is much easier to read than the earlier digital ones. Coming from a full analog bike like yours, it took some getting used to the digital speedo. The '07 and newer bikes also have a revised EFI mapping. ...
hmmm, well the only 07 (or newer) that i've found in my price range is either red (which just doesn't speak to me) or already has some serious cosmetic damages. but if those are the only differences i should be ok there.

You will miss the shaft drive though.:(
yeah, i figured i would. my father-in-law mentions it ever time i talk about a bike that isn't shaft driven. i hear about how he'd never own a bike with a chain because they're so noisy, dirty and cost more. if i could get shaft driven i would, but my only options there are a cruiser (which is still possible) or a beamer (which isn't possible).

I do use mine as a touring bike, ... I would not hesitate to do long distance touring on this bike. Power is a non issue, it will have about 35-40 more HP than the GL650. And honestly, I never really found my CX500 lacking power.
yeah, i was pretty sure power wouldn't be an issue. i've never had power issues with my silverwing. i just wish it had a 6th gear. i was somewhat concerned with comfort. but i guess that will somewhat be in the eye of the rider.

The FZ6 does have a center stand. As for longevity, there are people here with over 60,000 miles on their bikes. Issues are very rare. With proper care, this bike should last 100,000 miles fairly easily.
very good info to have. i usually have things for a while. i don't want to spend 4 grand on a bike to have to throw it away in a few years because it's not built to last. and the center stand is a large plus for me.

I hope this info helps, the GL650 was a nice bike in its time. The fact that so many are still around says alot for their durability. I regret selling my CX, but I also love the FZ6. But honestly, if I had a SilverWing, I do not know if I could have parted with it, they are very cool bikes. But if you are tired of it, moving on may save some frustration. Especially if the stator is starting to get flaky!:D

I hope this helps, if you need more info, just let me know!
this has all been very helpful. thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and compare/contrast the bikes. it has settled me in some areas and given me more to think about in other areas.
and i am sure i'll regret getting rid of the 650. but i haven't had a good history with it. it was given to me by a friend and it's the bike i learned on. for those reasons i love to look out my back door at it. but my first "season" with it was spent getting it running (new battery, turn signals, mirror, tires, oil etc). it was all the basic stuff but i was trying to do it all with no work space. then once i got all that stuff done i couldn't get it started. my brother came into town and got it going for me.
the next season (last year) i wasn't able to start riding until late june/early july because trash got in my carbs and they needed to be cleaned. finding the time... and it was my first ever carb rebuild... it was an exercise in frustration.
now this year i'm not riding because of an electrical problem.

i know it's a great bike... but i just want a few seasons to ride without so much frustration.

Oh, as for not having any electric power, check the connections that come off the stator ....
i think i have actually tracked it down to my ignition switch. i just need to find the time to take the fairing off to get to it. and if i were to keep it, once i have the fairing off i need to do the fork seals, the neck bearings, and rebuild the breaks. so i won't be riding until july. :(
oh, and i'm fully aware of the triple bypass. this bike only has 35k on it so hopefully (either for me or the next owner) it still has some life left in it before it needs that sorta surgery.

again, thanks. it's been very helpful.

i was going to reply to all the posts but it's late and i have a board meeting tomorrow. i'll reply later.

thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out. i do appreciate it.

Last edited:

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
First. I have several bikes from different manufacturers. I love my FZ6 ! , but I would say it won't meet your criteria. I think you might look at the FJR 1300 or the Honda ST1300 for what your describing. I know that the Honda has an adjustable seat feature built in for height. Both bikes handle well, great power, hard bags and electronic adjustable windshields. Both are established performers and a a upright seating posture. Both have handlebar riser kits avaialble for them if you want more pullback then they already have. I think both are shaft driven. I would buy either. I have riden both. By the time you are upgrading windshields, seats, and adding baggage to the FZ6, you are near what you can pick up one of these for now, especially any carryovers !

Don't get me wrong, the FZ6 is a great bike to ride but by the time your done addressing your criteria you will be spending about the same money. Of course the FZ6 will be la little lighter. (although with the handling of the bikes I mentioned, I don't see that as an issue)

Ride then decide.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out. i do appreciate it.

Hey no problem.:thumbup:

I had some teething problems on my CX too, mainly due to a huge lack of maintenance. I had to rebuild the final drive due to running it with no oil.:mad::banghead::rant:

The chain is not really that bad, about 10 minutes every 500 miles to clean, re lube and adjust if necessary. About every 2000 miles I do a thorough cleaning which takes a little longer, but it should not really be a deal breaker for you. These O ring chains are surprisingly quiet.
I would not hesitate to get an older model FZ6, problems are so few that any well cared for FZ is going to be reliable.

Good luck with your search!!! Any other questions let us know.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Dean, :welcome: from Dean in :canada:

This is one wordy thread, I didn't actually read all of it. Man, I love your Silverwing! That is one tour ready machine. I think you would love the liveliness and fun-factor of the FZ6, but how could it ever compare as a touring machine I don't know...I suppose that it you want something more for blasting around town and doing some shorter tours or day trips the FZ6 would be a super choice.