Is reinforcement of chassis necessary?

Pplater

Reaction score
Visit site
My question is, is a reinforcement of chassis (or mainframe) necessary to strengthen the frame's integrity and stability for touring at higher speeds? Much like planes which get spotted for cracks on the fuselage, patched and re-painted a couple times throughout their 30-40 yr lifespan, does Fazers need this even though the frame has not cracked?

Bike's due for an overhaul soon and since it's gonna be stripped down, might as well save on the labor cost of taking things out twice if reinforcement is indeed recommended. There are no cracks visible now but the bike's been in 2 accidents before and chassis was already not completely straight when i bought it. Still rides stable at 130mph on the highway for now.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think so. I have hard bags on one of my FZ6's loaded for camping-solo and there is no problem at all. Bump up the preload on the shock one or maybe two steps and it's all good. Have fun!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very rare to see a damaged frame of the FZ6 unless it was an accident. Those that have had damage where likely do to not checking torque settings on the frame to engine bolts which cause undo stress on other areas. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
** unless you're [MENTION=17345]ChevyFazer[/MENTION].
then everything cracks.

Yep ^^^.

"Chevyfazer" dogged the bike big time (big wheelies, etc) and the frame cracked on the right side just above the swing arm mount..

There have been a few bikes (less than 3) with cracks in the same area, other than CF, as I re-call, were NOT reported as abused.

Do a search but otherwise, if its not cracked, it should be ok.

He also has some slick tips getting the frame out WITHOUT pulling the bike apart as you would expect..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd leave it be. Although it is a cast frame, it does flex some in the extremities past the engine, which is load bearing part of the frame. I'm pretty sure it'd be more work than its worth to build it up. Not to mention welding on it may induce more issues than you have leaving it be.

As stated above, check the bolts and make sure everything is secure.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
** unless you're [MENTION=17345]ChevyFazer[/MENTION].
then everything cracks.

ChevyFazer and his bikes reminds me of Lenny and his mice!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCM-sEpyh1Q[/ame]

Pplater

Reaction score
Visit site
The other cases involving welding were due to visible cracks. Good to hear you guys think that reinforcement is not necessary. I don't do wheelies, although the rear hauls hepco and becker 30 litre side panniers. Hardly pillion anyone though.

I reckon a catastrophic failure of mainframe is unlikely. I suppose a visible and gradual crack should develop if any.

Will strike this off the list for next year's maintenance and overhaul. Bike's at 90k miles now and in its 11th year :Sport:

Appreciate your opinions. Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited: