Is it worth rebulding my cages motor?

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have had my 1997 cavilier z24 sitting in my back yard for a couple years now with a blown engine. I dont want to get rid of it because its my other baby, other then the fz6. So my question is would it be worth rebuilding the engine paying for parts and maybe $500 to a family friend to rebuild the motor? Im not sure of the exact problem but a mechanic guessed either a cracked piston, piston ring or sleeve. Any advice is appreciated. Its so sad watching her just sit there.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If your goal is to just be able to drive it again I would say no but since its your baby and I imagine that you treat her as such I would treat it to a good rebuild

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
If its your baby, then do it! You're the only one that can justify it. Personally I wouldn't but I have no emotional attachment to the car. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Past experience says its going to cost more than early estimates. Even a bone yard engine may run but you loose a bunch of labor if it craps early. I'm not a fan of junk yard swaps. Maybe pick up a whole car and keep the engine and trans? At least then you can drive it!

If you can get the parts at cost and YOU know and trust a good machine shop to manage the hard parts (meaning block, head, crank, pistons, balance and proper fitment of those parts) AND money is not an object, go for it.

If you're relying on someone else for everything - I'd be hesitant. Me, I've always done all that kind of work myself and have at least 30+ auto engines out there that have lots of trouble free miles on them. I'll give you some advise if you have specific questions. . .

On other forums I've contributed to engine rebuilds so I'm no stranger to it.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Past experience says its going to cost more than early estimates. Even a bone yard engine may run but you loose a bunch of labor if it craps early. I'm not a fan of junk yard swaps. Maybe pick up a whole car and keep the engine and trans? At least then you can drive it!

If you can get the parts at cost and YOU know and trust a good machine shop to manage the hard parts (meaning block, head, crank, pistons, balance and proper fitment of those parts) AND money is not an object, go for it.

If you're relying on someone else for everything - I'd be hesitant. Me, I've always done all that kind of work myself and have at least 30+ auto engines out there that have lots of trouble free miles on them. I'll give you some advise if you have specific questions. . .

On other forums I've contributed to engine rebuilds so I'm no stranger to it.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

well my plan was to buy new parts to install...hopefully in a few days i will know exactly what broke so i could be more detailed.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
well my plan was to buy new parts to install...hopefully in a few days i will know exactly what broke so i could be more detailed.

Have you checked ebay for a reasonable mileage motor

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com

If I were going to rebuild, I would figure at least $1000 for parts and machine shop work (cyl heads and block work can cost $500 alone) if you're going to put the engine together. Fixing what broke is a band-aid, especially if you go though all of the trouble to get the engine out (it's pretty tight in that car).

I might suggest going with a GM reman engine if you're going to keep the car, it will cost you more but you'll have a 3yr/36k mile warranty.

I rebuilt mine about 3 years ago (1998 Grand Prix GTP), remembering what it cost to hot rod the last engine I built (1972 LeMans 350) in 1986. I had about $800 in that engine with new cam, lifters, rings, bearings, headers, valve job, distributor, coil, ect. The GTP ran me closer to $3200, doing most of the work myself. BUT, I have to say I am the kind of guy that will, if my engine needs to be rebuilt, do what I can to make it faster. That GTP runs the 1/4 in 13 sec, stock they run it in about 15.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Rebuilding a 97 Caviller... I would just find a new baby. I've owned a few "babies"over the years (69 firebird, 78 Fiero GT, 91 RX7 turbo ll) but there comes a time to let go and get a new baby. I think it's time.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand loving a car, but unless you are going to treat it like a high end car and keep it forever, in the end it is a cavalier.... I think it would be a waste of money.. but of course that is just my opinion....

according to KBB I put in 50,000 miles im sure yours is much more but if it is in excellent condition which means looks like new it is only worth $3600

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
ok thanks for all opinions so fatr...ill just do a little research and see whats better. the car has 215,000 miles on it. brand new battery alternator, starter, brakes and rotors, and an exhaust system used literally .5 miles...decisions decisions

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I didn't read you mention anything about the transmission, that could be another very expensive fix not too far down the road with that many miles on it. I'd hate to put an engine in my car just to have the transmission puke a couple weeks later.

Just more food for thought...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, with that many miles, I'd call the whole drivetrain shot. If it's your baby and you want to keep it, I'd highly consider the crate engine and a factory rebuilt tranny. Partially because the only way I could justify keeping a "baby" that old was if she got turned into a sleeper of sorts.

Shoot, strip her, swap in a crate motor and tranny. Put in a racing carb and remove the cat. Then you could run her at the dirt tracks on the weekends with leaded fuel. And all the spent money would be used for something. And dirt trackin is a hoot. I just never was a good racer and my uncle got tired of working on race cars. Started saving to open his own auto body shop.

That's my two cents.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, with that many miles, I'd call the whole drivetrain shot. If it's your baby and you want to keep it, I'd highly consider the crate engine and a factory rebuilt tranny. Partially because the only way I could justify keeping a "baby" that old was if she got turned into a sleeper of sorts.

Shoot, strip her, swap in a crate motor and tranny. Put in a racing carb and remove the cat. Then you could run her at the dirt tracks on the weekends with leaded fuel. And all the spent money would be used for something. And dirt trackin is a hoot. I just never was a good racer and my uncle got tired of working on race cars. Started saving to open his own auto body shop.

That's my two cents.

Being thats its a caviler you couldnt put a carb on it and dirt tracking although very fun...that car I imagine would be useless being fwd

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if you swap the engine totally you can... Since you could install a carb and junk the ECU as it probably won't match up with the engine you bought anyway. We did it with a few cars we raced with. A crate motor doesn't have to be the exact same motor that's in there. And when you swap for performance, it's almost never the same. NASCAR only requires the engine bolt into the stock mounts for most of it's dirt track races. Outside of the pure stock and low mod divisions anyway.

Although the FWD thing slipped my mind. But in the low mod races, or pure stock races, people race both. If the dirt is loose enough, and you're going fast enough, the back will break loose regardless. Most of the tracks are hard pack anyway. Mine was so hard on the back turn (turns 3 and 4 for the purists) that the dirt was shiny and drove like concrete by the time the under 16 amatuers got to racing.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if you swap the engine totally you can... Since you could install a carb and junk the ECU as it probably won't match up with the engine you bought anyway. We did it with a few cars we raced with. A crate motor doesn't have to be the exact same motor that's in there. And when you swap for performance, it's almost never the same. NASCAR only requires the engine bolt into the stock mounts for most of it's dirt track races. Outside of the pure stock and low mod divisions anyway.

Although the FWD thing slipped my mind. But in the low mod races, or pure stock races, people race both. If the dirt is loose enough, and you're going fast enough, the back will break loose regardless. Most of the tracks are hard pack anyway. Mine was so hard on the back turn (turns 3 and 4 for the purists) that the dirt was shiny and drove like concrete by the time the under 16 amatuers got to racing.

Oh ya anything is possible but the question is this; Speed Cost Money... How fast do YOU want to go? But we have kinda strayed way off what op is asking and from his question I dont imagine goin dirt racing is on his mind....lol

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah...

I was just saying, it's probably time to retire the car, but if you really want to keep her, any frame in good shape will work fine for amatuer dirt racing.

Other than that, I wouldn't bother. :D