Is it safe to use engine degreaser to clean your bike?

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a two for one at autozone so i picked up a couple of these. Are they safe to use on your bike? Checked the can and there is no mention of motorcycles on there. Just curious.

IMG_0001-4.jpg

Last edited:

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what product you're talking about but I can enthusiastically recommend Awesome Orange 32oz. You can get it at your local Dollar Tree. Works great to get rid of crusted on bugs and makes cleaning your wheels really easy. For the price you can't beat it.

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what product you're talking about but I can enthusiastically recommend Awesome Orange 32oz. You can get it at your local Dollar Tree. Works great to get rid of crusted on bugs and makes cleaning your wheels really easy. For the price you can't beat it.

That stuff works great!! Cheap and effective. I used it on my bike last time I washed it. I also use it on the wheels and lower portion of my car. :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

Is this stuff okay to use on painted surfaces?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read that some of the citrus based cleaners like Orange Blast as well as Simple Green are bad for aluminum because they will cause corrosion. However I find it hard to believe if you carefully and complete rinse to get rid of all of the cleaner. Even S100 says to rinse thoroughly to keep it from spotting. I have used Simple Greene, Orange Blast and S100 on my chain for 4 years. Dont guess it hurt as I replace the chain to 27,000 miles and could have gone much longer.

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read that some of the citrus based cleaners like Orange Blast as well as Simple Green are bad for aluminum because they will cause corrosion. However I find it hard to believe if you carefully and complete rinse to get rid of all of the cleaner. Even S100 says to rinse thoroughly to keep it from spotting. I have used Simple Greene, Orange Blast and S100 on my chain for 4 years. Dont guess it hurt as I replace the chain to 27,000 miles and could have gone much longer.

Yea, as long as you dont leave it on for too long and rinse it off thoroughly, you should be fine.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OP - I personally would avoid it but if you do use it (or the citrus stuff) I'd rinse with dish soap/car wash soap and water as it is acid based and exposed Aluminum will corrode if its not completely rinsed and diluted.

So - spray with soap and then hose with hot water and they should be OK.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't use gunk degreaser, it is pretty nasty stuff.
The awesome orange or simple green will work very well.
I have used simple green for years with no corrosion issues.
Just rinse well, though the corrosion seems to only happen if a part is left in the liquid for a while, generally at least a day sitting in the liquid.

I have seen carb bowls really stripped because of this but nothing else.