Is It Just Me Or......

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Are Harley Riders Getting Friendlier?
Just wondering. . . . .
I've stopped to go around and see if someone has stuck a decal across the front of my bike or on top of my helmet, but no!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I get a wave every once in a while. Most times when I wave first, they never wave back. and it is usually the upscale harley riders that wave. the dirtbag type are too full of themselves to wave.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it's just you ;)

I've never waited at a Harley rider and never will :spank:

I nod/wave at every other rider out there (except scooters :BLAA:) and they usually wave back :D

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Either the parts are getting cheaper, so they are not as tense or the build quality is better, so they are not afraid that the bike will fall apart if they remove the hand from the grip for a second. :justkidding: Don't throw stuff at me! i'm just kiddin'!!!!!

Actually, I once was going to my friend's house and got lost, so i pulled over and within a minute, there was a guy on a harley next to me asking if i needed any help - it felt good for a newbie. :rockon: Overall, I think around here (New England), the bikers are pretty friendly. Ever since i switched from KLR to FZ6, though, i did notice a slight decrease in response wave rate, especially from choppers and Harleys.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad someone brought it up! But here in South Afrique the BMW guys are also to high and mighty (Don't get why) to wave.

All the other bikers wave/greet. Mostly nodding...

P.S. I too will never make way for a HD rider. Amen! :rockon:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Harley riders and beemer riders are exactly the same.

3g0t1st1c@l w@nk3rs.

They don't buy motorbikes, they buy the bikes, the warranty, the jacket, helmet, sunglasses, roadside support, the bmwclub, all roads ever made, and a badge.

But with harley going the way they are, reckon the harley riders are seeing that they'll be riding jap bikes soon :Flip:

bobvilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't been riding long but everyone waves...n usually it is them waving first n me waving back...not many sports bikes around here, that i have seen.

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
Harley riders seem rather friendly in Upstate New York. They waved and return the wave.

Back riding after a 35-years break. Riders seems more egalitarian in USA now. Certainly more friendly than what I saw in Europe in the 70's. However, I likely stuck out as a "Yangee".

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:wav::wav: Sometimes I'm concentrating on riding and really not seeing a wave till the last minute. Very few Harley riders don't wave back to me. When I see my fellow FZ6 Forum friends Fuggetabout it! :Flip::Flip::Flip:Hahaha!:rockon:

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It does'nt really make me too upset when someone, (Hawg riders or not) wont or cant wave back, I wave at everybody and let them decide if they want to accept my offer of biker friendship. It makes me feel part of one huge family when a whole long line of Harleys or any bikes ride by and every one of them give me some sort of wave or nod. I love that no matter what we ride, we ALL ride for basicly the same reason.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about this all day and realized that here in NorCal, Harley or cruiser riders for that matter, hardly ever exchange waves with me. But reflecting on the SoCal ride we did a few weeks ago, it struck me that a large number of Harley/Cruiser riders down there did not only wave back, but actually initiated the waves. It was quite refreshing for a change. :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
:wav::wav: Sometimes I'm concentrating on riding and really not seeing a wave till the last minute. Very few Harley riders don't wave back to me. When I see my fellow FZ6 Forum friends Fuggetabout it! :Flip::Flip::Flip:Hahaha!:rockon:

WE Yamaha riders know better than to wave at some Suckzuki poser riding some POS SV 1000 :Flip::Flip: :D

Reaction score
www.manpcc.com
Having owned the FZ6 since April and waving to every motorcycle rider, I thought "Wow, the Harley riders are even waving". But then I purchased my Fieldsheer Congo Mesh Jacket and ever since the first day I wore it on a ride, the Harley dudes stopped waving back. What's up with that? Like I've said before, The Harley Riders just don't get it and don't know what fun riding really is. Screw them!

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm... Back when I first got my cruiser, I didn't get many Harley rider waves. Then I added my batwing and now it kind of looks like a Harley Streetglide -- now I get more waves. I also occasionally wear these Harley boots (I got a really good deal on); the bottoms are orange and when my feet are on the pegs, I think the Harley folks recognize it from the front.

On the FZ6 (or R6 today), I get waves from Harley riders say 70% of the time. The ones that wave are older and seem to ride because of the ride. The baby boomer types (who try to look bada** in their bada** costume) look straight ahead and don't wave. If there is a bunch of Harley riders trying to act like a gang, no one waves.

The really young ones mostly wave but keep both hands on the bars.

With the ones riding two up, the person on the back usually waves -- esp. if female.

The ones who have Harleys and are dressed up in full Harley garb tend to not be interested in anyone not riding a Harley.

In NH, we have a lot of Harley riders (we also have a lot of riders in general).

As for the BMW crowd (with their buzzing motors), I'm not sure I really notice if they wave or not; I know a few few of them and they seem like nice folks -- just riders and not trying to be bada** or anything.

Dennis