Is Charcoal lighter fluid a good cleaning solution?

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a can of this laying around and hate to throw it out. Is it like Kerosene? I was gonna use it on my chain. Just wondering:confused:

Thanks!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the MSDS for Kingsford brand, it's an "Aliphatic petroleum solvent", looks like mineral spirits. You probably could get away with it, but I wouldn't use it on the chain myself.

I wouldn't use it on charcoal either, personally :BLAA:

ChUcK

Reaction score
Visit site
Judging from the chemical makeup of kerosene and lighter fluid, it will work just fine. I couldn't find if the acceptable contaminant levels were similar or not, but I'd assume that since it is a food related product there aren't many non-hydrocarbon contaminants present. It will be fine, but perhaps a little tough to use as a chain cleaner because of the high volatility (it evaporates really fast).

No street cred on this forum, but I hold a bachelor's degree in chemistry, if that helps.

Last edited:

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a can of this laying around and hate to throw it out.
Good, because that's probably not the proper way to dispose of it.

Is it like Kerosene?
No, but it is flammable.

I was gonna use it on my chain. Just wondering:confused:
If you're planning to set your chain on fire, please invite a friend with a HIGH QUALITY video camera over. The internet will thank you.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
And if you don't plan on setting your chain on fire still invite a friend with a HIGH QUALITY video camera over.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
And if you don't plan on setting your chain on fire still invite a friend with a HIGH QUALITY video camera over.

That's true. It tends to make better video when you're not expecting something to catch on fire.

Didn't mean to bust your balls, OP. It's just that I'm still in fireworks safety mode. Using lighter fluid for a purpose other than intended just shouts, I WANT TO END UP ON TOSH.O! I'm sure you'll be okay, but as for me, I'm too anal about my chain to use anything but diesel(rarely) or the solvent that came with my chain brush.

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I could lay some hot dogs on my chain and use it like a grill top:D

Anyway, I think I'll just take it to the dump with with the rest of the solvents I need to get rid of. They have a special hazmat nuclear radioactive area I can dump it off at.

Thanks for all the feedback!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site

Especially if that friend is an attractive female who is looking to explore her curiosity in....oh, wait...wrong forum. ;)

ChUcK

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway, I think I'll just take it to the dump with with the rest of the solvents I need to get rid of.

Don't waste it! Put out a craigslist free ad and someone will snag it. Too many CO2 emissions already went into that can for it to just go to waste without even being used for some tasty steaks.

@ Botch: haha, I claim drunken immunity. I can point out the grammar and spelling errors in everything I see, but I can't even see my own fail... :D

@ The Dude: You won't catch your chain on fire cleaning it with lighter fluid. That's so volatile that it is gone before you even get to the lubing part. Claiming it will catch your chain on fire is junk science scare tactics. Maybe there could be an issue if you squirted it on there while doing a J...