• Yes, I will upgrade to a Snell 2010 helmet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No, I'm comfortable with my current helmet

Votes: 16 88.9%

• Total voters

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Has everyone heard the new Snell 2010 standard comes out this month in the US? It appears the new 2010 standard produces a helmet which doesn't transmit as much force and is more comparable to the European ECE 22-05 standard.

I read an article (linked at bottom of message) several months ago regarding the older Snell standard. The gist of the article is concern the older Snell standard produced a helmet that is too rigid and transmits too much force to the brain.

How about you? Is a new Snell 2010 model in you future?

Helmet review at motorcyclistonline.com
Long article, but worth the read.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I have read it appears the new testing has to do with different helmet sizes being tested differently.. A bigger helmet using more weight in the drop or something like that.. It kinda makes sense

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I read that article when it came out.... seems to me Snell has finally found a way to make it look like they are in a good light in all of this.

The older Snell standards required two blows to the exact same spot -- that was a hold over from previous standards developed for car driver's helmets, that could be rapped on the same point of the crash cage in a roll. Something that almost never happens with a motorcyclist.

I'd be very curious to know what difference there now is, between the DOT standard, and the 2010 Snell. The EC 22-05 was a very good standard.....

The Snell standard also did not recognize the flip face helmets. No Snell certs on any of them prior to the 2010 standard as far as I know.

W

wrightme43

I think I will just wait and see how they do with sharp testing. I like their testing alot.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
If you got a recent know brand helmet (Arai, Shoei, AGV, ... ) why change.
All their models are ECE/22-05 in europe. And I don't think they wil change a model to fit US standards ( making them less safe ... ) for your market.

And the "sharp" isn't bad, altho in magazines over here ( the 2 biggest moto magazines over here ) they don't seem to have much "trust" in their testing.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
assuming nothing happens to me and mine i'll probably get one in 2012. that'll be about the 5 year mark of my current helmet. but i'm not worried about getting one before then.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not for a few more years. I bought my current helmet about a year ago and it's in great shape. Perhaps if the liner wears I'll consider a new one. I do like the new Shoeis however. :thumbup:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
All racing organizations that I have raced with in the US require Snell certification. They usually update their rules related to helmets a year or two after the new cert becomes effective. So, around 2011 or 2012, they will require the latest cert. They also allow the Euro standard, but you have to challenge them on it. It's easier for them to just say it has to be Snell 2005 (or whatever).

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i will probbaly get the new cert when it is time for the helmet upgrade, but i am not going to toss a perfectly good helmet because the certification changed.

i was comfortable with the protection of my helmet before the cert came out and i won't get nervous with the same helmet now.

If i wanted to be completely safe i would drive a dump truck instead of riding a bike... So... i will be as safe as i can without being nuts about it.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched my Scorpion helmet from a exo-700 to an exo-400 based on the Motorcyclist article. The 700 transmitted many more G than the softer 400 series. Since I wear a small helmet, I am considering getting a new Snell 2010 helmet since the sizing makes a difference in how stiff they make the helmet. BUT I love my helmet and trust it. I won't ruch out for a new helmet but if I find a new one on sale, probably pick it up.

The catch is that manufacturers have afew years to make the switch to the new standards. So we may not see so many Snell 2010 certified helmets next year.