Is 42 told to start Boxing

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like fun to me Nelly. I bet you are going to be just a little bit.

I've always wanted to learn to box.

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you I wouldn't even worry about it. First of all it's only a charity event not a heavyweight trophy fight, Even if you will manage to be not that lucky and be on the loosing side,no one will be beating you until you pass out or similar, and most likely you will have a head protection as well.The other thing it's never too late to start anything,if it feels right for you just do it.I will be 24 very soon , and when someone comes in a gym ( muay thai ,not boxing) twice as old as I'm for the first time, It always inspires me even more,and I always trying to help them to get the things right and not to loose enthusiasm. And you should feel great not like a twat,you going to exercise instead of having a beer by the tv!that's something to be proud of.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i would suggest some real training, for the boxing. being in shape doesnt mean you wont get rocked by somebody. you should train your reflexes as well and learn how to create an opening without leaving one. the same concept as any martial art really. personally i like kickboxing so not being able to use my feet/legs is a bit of a killer.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I say go for it. Any work out is better than no workout.

You dont even have to let me know when you win your first fight. Just let me know when you get a patent on "The Nelly Grill." I'll be ready to throw out my "George Foreman Grill." :BLAA:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned it was for charity - can you get a sense of the "tone" of the competition from the organizers or friends?

If it's all in good fun for a charity, it's a great excuse to get in shape and learn a new skill, and have a little fun for a good cause, with some laughs along the way...if you've got a cool opponent. Yeah, you may be a bit sore the next day, but it will have been a great experience, and you can say you did it!

If there are young punks in it to prove something, or [insert edit:*they*] have lost sight of what's really important and why you're doing this to begin with, I say just make a donation and move on.

I'm 42 as well. As Clint Eastwood once said "A man's got to know his limitations."

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The guys I have been chatting to are all of an age where they don't have to prove anything. The weights and ages will be very closely matched to try and avoid someone getting the seven bells of granny knocked out of them.
We also plan to have some proper boxers present to do some exhibition bouts. As we have said all in the name of charity.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to admit I am feeling a bit weird about going to a gym full of young people and making a complete twat of myself.
If I get some positive feedback mentally I'll feel better. Hopefully some of the old lads at work will join to and make the first time a bit easier.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thats why I hide down the back of the park when I do physical exercises LOL all my skipping , star jumps & the like are done well out of sight :thumbup: :D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
just remember though that everybody has good days and bad days, just don't let the bad days put you off

i do (submission) wrestling, and I went to a new class last week, lots of blue belts and I was getting tapped by everybody, I couldn't even tap the new guy. Contrast that with last night when I was constantly tapping and sweeping my friend out after learning a couple of leg locks, everything seemed to flow really well.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly this should help you ;) (NSFW)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWLYmOorUho]UK Martial Arts...I Wanna See Some Windmilling In!! - YouTube[/ame]

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as long as you're checked out by your doctor and no pre exsisting conditions are present I would say go for it.

I do JKD and do a lot of sparring and after a couple of rounds you start to get tired fast. I'm learning it solely for self defence. If I were to actually box I would need a little more work on my endurance and conditioning for sure. When I started doing this I learned to respect boxers and what they do a little more. I would say it's definitely one of the best ways to get into good overall shape.