Ipod Touch with gloves

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm the proud owner of a new Ipod Touch and I'd like to use it while on my bike. Problem is using the touch screen with gloves. This newer type of touchscreen detects extra capacitance above the screen. Your skin and flesh work like a small capacitor and when close enough, the screen detects the addition of the nearby capacitance. With gloves on, your skin is blocked and it doesn't work. There is no physical movement (poking) of the screen that activates the touchscreen like older PDAs and smartphones. So they make gloves like these to use with this new style of touchscreen DOTS gloves. See the black dots on the fingers? According to them it's a small piece of nickle covered with brass and painted (the brass and paint are there only to prevent scratches, they don't do anything). The nickle is what makes the thing work. Since nickle is magnetic it acts as a capacitor and trips the touchscreen. So anybody have any ideas for what I can use for a small piece of nickle like those dots? I'm going to stick it on my glove fingertip just like those. I just can't figure out where to get a small piece of nickle like that. Thanks for ideas in advance.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
step 1: buy gloves
step 2: remove the circle things from tips
step 3: place on new glove
step 4: enjoy

also, instead of step 2 and 3, but glove on, then place motorcycle glove on top. Having both gloves on gives extra warmth

glad i could help

edit: insert new step 1: when sold out, search for other source for these circle things

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Problem is they're apparently made by some dude in his house. People ordered em like 3 months ago and still haven't gotten em. Not even sure if their business is legit or not.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
his site does say that another shipment will be going out on the first of january ... i dunno if he is legit or not but i mean its only what 15 bucks and it is paypal so it does seem to be legit... let us know :thumbup:

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeh, that's true, too bad i didn't realize it would be this much trouble. Should've just got a shuffle or nano for the bike

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
ya i hear u... i got a refurb shuffle like last year before the holidays for like 70 bucks off of apple.com.... small, 4g, and great for the bike... may want to look at going that route... :rockon:

A

Aggietaco

You can buy nickel rod from many online metal shops. I've used onlinemetals.com in the past with good results and I'm sure they've got the rod. You'd need a band saw or hacksaw the cut the metal in a small sliver like you'd like.

Good luck!