iPhone Mount - Ped 3

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have wanted to do this mod since I got my GPS app for my iPhone and my Bluetooth helmet. I used the mount from here FORM Holder for Cased and Skinned iPhone and iPod touch Mounts and Stands | THOUGHT OUT Company
and the stem I purchased separate.

The only problem I had was my error is that I notched out my fairing instead of drilling a hole for the stem. I was kinda rushing and didn't think ahead. But it looks good and it has held the iPhone no problem at high speeds and vibrations.

Drilled and tapped hole for stem behind instrument cluster on crossbar;

4493653014_ec52ce8de5_o.jpg

4493016529_47a150668c_o.jpg

Stem for Mount (threaded one end Rubber hose type mount end on the other end);

4493017187_054e334012_o.jpg

4493653700_f26b158945_o.jpg

Test fit'

4493654332_77cd933f7b_o.jpg

4493018023_b009997b00_o.jpg

Final Result (it is just above the instrument cluster so I have a clear view of it and under the windshield in case it rains.);

4493655720_0bdc0bf35f_o.jpg

4493019463_004074b4e1_o.jpg

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet, Ive been looking for something like this for a while, but never really seen one of these mounts installed. Thanks

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
how much is the gps app? monthly fee?

Navigon App was $80. No monthly fee, free software updates, iPod controls in the app, slow loading but haven't gotten lost yet :) Live traffic is $20 one time only fee but got me out of more than one jam so it was well worth it.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve, will this mount (the actual piece that holds the phone) work while a case is on the phone in your opinion? I've got a 16g 3GS with an Otterbox Commuter (not the Commuter TL) case on it and that would be great for me. The case doesn't add hardly any bulk to the phone and that holder looks like it would work.

I might have to look into one of these myself! Oh, and very nice job on discreetly mounting the arm. That's very ingenious! :thumbup:

*edit* Well, if I'd taken the time to look at the website first, I'd have seen that it IS meant to work with a skinned phone, so it should work with the Commuter I've got on there. Thanks for the link!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i'm tempted to look into the gps for my iphone but the thought of my phone hanging out like that scares me a bit. let me know how secure it is. also, i assume if it's in gps mode that it won't keep going to sleep like it does when using something like maps where i have to keep touching the screen to keep it alive.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Dean, I don't know about the Navignon app and if it automatically disables Auto-lock, but whenever I'm using the GPS navigation in the native Maps program, I go into Settings->General->Auto-lock and set it to "never". Of course, the key is to remember to set it back to your desired time limit or else the screen will remain lit and run down your battery even faster than it already does...LOL.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
think i might have found next years christmas present :D

quick question that i'm pretty sure i know the answer to. i've only had the one iphone i currently have now. let's say i get the app on this phone. in a year it goes south and i get a new iphone. will this app carry over to my new phone? i'm assuming yes, but just checking.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm tempted to look into the gps for my iphone but the thought of my phone hanging out like that scares me a bit. let me know how secure it is. also, i assume if it's in gps mode that it won't keep going to sleep like it does when using something like maps where i have to keep touching the screen to keep it alive.

The GPS app stays on all the time. It doesn't go to sleep (screen)

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
think i might have found next years christmas present :D

quick question that i'm pretty sure i know the answer to. i've only had the one iphone i currently have now. let's say i get the app on this phone. in a year it goes south and i get a new iphone. will this app carry over to my new phone? i'm assuming yes, but just checking.

Yes, before you change phones just sych and it will create a backup file, when you plug in your new phone just restore from the backup file and all will look and apps will return.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have wanted to do this mod since I got my GPS app for my iPhone and my Bluetooth helmet. I used the mount from here FORM Holder for Cased and Skinned iPhone and iPod touch Mounts and Stands | THOUGHT OUT Company
and the stem I purchased separate.

The only problem I had was my error is that I notched out my fairing instead of drilling a hole for the stem. I was kinda rushing and didn't think ahead. But it looks good and it has held the iPhone no problem at high speeds and vibrations.

Drilled and tapped hole for stem behind instrument cluster on crossbar;

Final Result (it is just above the instrument cluster so I have a clear view of it and under the windshield in case it rains.);

How does this holder work for you? Have you had any problems?
Also, when it rains -right now I still have the stock windshield- the inside of my windshield gets some water (I guess from the air intake in the front) and depending how heavy the rain is falling, I might not risk getting my phone wet!!! Is this the same on your bike?
Either way, it is really nice that the windshield gives it some protection and the phone is easily visible.

I found this other device:
Part Details
which seems to secure the phone better!!!

I have in mind doing something similar since I'd like to use my iPhone as GPS, I can have music and "if necessary" I could answer specific phone calls (depending who's calling me). Not that I envision riding while talking on the phone, but it might have some benefits.
I got a blue-tooth device for the helmet which is working pretty well.

Eventually, I'll also have to provide a connection for the charger since the GPS alone drains the battery reasonably fast.

Thanks

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I have in mind doing something similar since I'd like to use my iPhone as GPS, I can have music and "if necessary" I could answer specific phone calls (depending who's calling me). Not that I envision riding while talking on the phone, but it might have some benefits.

Eventually, I'll also have to provide a connection for the charger since the GPS alone drains the battery reasonably fast.

Thanks

I know Steve said the Navignon app provides iPod controls while using the navigation app, but I'm not sure if you can use the maps app plus music at the same time on the iPhone now. You will be able to do this for sure on the next gen iPhone 4.0 OS (multi-tasking...YAY!), but with the current 3.1.3 OS, I don't think you can. I know for sure you can't answer a call while using the map app or music right now. Just not sure about the maps and music working together right now...I've never tried it.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
How does this holder work for you? Have you had any problems?
Also, when it rains -right now I still have the stock windshield- the inside of my windshield gets some water (I guess from the air intake in the front) and depending how heavy the rain is falling, I might not risk getting my phone wet!!! Is this the same on your bike?
Either way, it is really nice that the windshield gives it some protection and the phone is easily visible.

I found this other device:
Part Details
which seems to secure the phone better!!!

Thanks

I haven't been caught in the rain yet with the phone so I couldn't tell you, but in a downpour the phone would get wet for sure.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I know Steve said the Navignon app provides iPod controls while using the navigation app, but I'm not sure if you can use the maps app plus music at the same time on the iPhone now. You will be able to do this for sure on the next gen iPhone 4.0 OS (multi-tasking...YAY!), but with the current 3.1.3 OS, I don't think you can. I know for sure you can't answer a call while using the map app or music right now. Just not sure about the maps and music working together right now...I've never tried it.

Indeed, the new 4.0 OS will bring many advantages, but I'm not using maps right now.

I'm trying to find something that I know for sure will work.
I've been using "WAZE" not a big fan since it is community dependent but it gives you:
Turn by Turn indications
You can playback music during navigation (it lowers the volume of the music for the "navigation" prompt)
I do not know how to deactivate "WAZE notifications" since it seems that after a "Waze notification" is sent to the screen, it waits for you to acknowledge it.
I have not received a phone call while running "WAZE" yet

My problem now is that I can not see the phone (I have it in my pocket) so I do not know what is it doing exactly. So far, "stevesnj" has what I think is the best option to mount your phone and have some protection from the windshield, I'm just debating between two different holders

stevesnj said:
I haven't been caught in the rain yet with the phone so I couldn't tell you, but in a downpour the phone would get wet for sure.

I do keep a waterproof bag in my pocket that fits my phone and my wallet, just in case.